making pcb's
May 5, 2007 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

gjavitt90

New Head-Fier
hey,
I've been reading around this forum about how a lot of people decide to make their own pcb's. But in actuality they just send off the design to some company to make the pcb's for them.

My question is: Why don't they make the boards themselves with PC board and a laser printer and some chemicals. I've been reading about it and it seemed really easy. Is there something bad about it that keeps audiophiles away, or perhaps the fear of said chemicals?

Thanks for your time.

May 5, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjavitt90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My question is: Why don't they make the boards themselves with PC board and a laser printer and some chemicals. I've been reading about it and it seemed really easy. Is there something bad about it that keeps audiophiles away, or perhaps the fear of said chemicals?

Thanks for your time.

Here is why I don't:

The savings aren't enough to make it worth the hassle.

The start up expense. To do it right, I'd need to spend a couple of hundred dollars plus get a decent laser printer.

I don't own a drill press. Holes can be made with a dremel but they aren't as good.

I don't have the proper tools to cut the boards up. I got yelled at the last time I used the paper cutter at work. Besides the results are kinda crappy.

I'm not sure if I could get a double sided board to line up. I'm sure it can be done, I just doubt my skill level. Mess up once or twice and it would be cheaper to send the board out.

You don't get solder mask, silk screen or plating with the basic toner transfer boards. DIY doesn't require these features, but I like to have them.

May 5, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 19
I have made my fair share of pcb's, primarily because doing a single board run wasn't worth it. It is very useful when trying to prototype something and the final board layout is labile, BUT if a team of people are doing the prototyping, a board house makes sense as some allow for a prototype and final layout.

Pros - no lag time when the design is ready
- cheaper
- no one else to blame for any c/up's

cons - time consuming
- working with very corrosive chemicals which need special handling to discard
- not as easy as it appears to be, especially double sided boards
- double sided boards are not connected by vias = needs careful attention when soldering to ensure everything makes correct contact.
- nowhere near as well finished as commercial boards.

many more cons but I think you get the picture. aligning double sided boards merely needs careful attention as does the absence of vias. silk screening is done via the same transfer process and commercial tinning agents are available ( it took me a while to discover this little fact) . I use a small handheld drill ( similar to the small dremel tools ) which I run from a variac to give the correct speed. Jeweler drill bits are perfect for most holes but they do blunt quickly. You also have to have patience (which I occasionally lack) and I have destroyed a few boards by speeding up the process
blink.gif
. cutting them is easy actually - run a deep score on both sides with a craft knife and simply snap them on the edge of a ruler. it takes a leap of faith but gives a neat edge.

That's my take. I still make boards but only if absolutely necessary..dB

May 5, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 19
I make my own pcbs (including double sided) at times. I echo the comments above regarding pros/cons of doing it yourself. I've actually only done one run with a commercial board house (Olimex) because I usually need several different boards done, but only need one or two of each. I use laser printers at work, and I do have a drill press and carbide pcb drill bits (http://www.drillbitcity.com).

A comparison of a double sided board I did vs. a commercial board (redesigned somewhat from the home made):

clock_old_new.JPG

You do really need to plan ahead especially if you are doing double-sided at home. Things like electrolytic caps and some other components are impossible to solder from the top side. Ground planes are usually done on the top, and caps go to ground much of the time, so you need to accomodate this in your design since you can't do plated-thru holes/vias at home. One thing I have done is to use vias near the problem leads to a bottom pad, then solder resistor leads thru the via to provide connection.

May 5, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 19
In the dim times I did etch my own boards. This was before laser printers were something you could run out to Fry's and buy. I did photo or just put tape directly on the copper. I saw no point in making boards that way and went back to Vector board. I use to do most of my prototype work with wire wrap.

I don't even buy strip board anymore. My last 3 projects have gone direct to PCB.

May 5, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 19
With 4-6 week turnaround from Olimex, and the need to buy at least one 100x160mm panel with an approximate min. charge of $42 USD, I would beg to differ. Domestic PCB vendors such as Imagineering will be more expensive, with the need to buy 10 board minimums. Plus, its always nice to test a board first before you spend money on getting them made.

May 5, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 19
That's what I thought about PCBs at first too.

- without a drill press, it's not fun at all, trust me. with a drill press, i'd still expect it to be somewhat difficult.
- I read somewhere it's somewhat easier using actual toner transfer paper and using a laminator to transfer rather than an iron, but the cost of the specialty papers will probably kill the savings in the first place.
- I get holes in the toner transfer all the time, and quite a bit of work is needed to fix up the boards afterwards.

The big plus, of course, is that it's great for prototyping, especially if you're working with sensitive circuits (where breadboards/other prototyping methods might not work well)

I still do like the idea of making PCBs at home, and I'm exploring some other methods of making them. A DIY CNC mill for holes + DIY PCB plotter for the etch resist (there's an article in this month's circuit cellar; I don't know if it's available free online, though) seems like a nice setup to me, if I get time over the summer to make it all--no nonsense with the transfer or drilling. I also heard you can do a DIY solder mask by baking some sort of art chemical (lots of colors to choose from, too)--it's somewhere in the headwize/diyaudio archives, iirc.

May 5, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With 4-6 week turnaround from Olimex, and the need to buy at least one 100x160mm panel with an approximate min. charge of $42 USD, I would beg to differ. Domestic PCB vendors such as Imagineering will be more expensive, with the need to buy 10 board minimums. Plus, its always nice to test a board first before you spend money on getting them made.

My last two invoices from Olimex were $36.30 and $47.00. Turn around was less than 4 weeks. I think I got one of them in about 2 weeks.

There is also BatchPCB at $2.50/inch + $10. They can be cheaper than Olimex.

Advanced Circuits has a $33 special for students.
http://www.4pcb.com/leadfree_stencil...nt_program.htm
I think I could get in on this -- I work at a university and have a .edu email address.

May 5, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by threepointone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I thought about PCBs at first too.

- without a drill press, it's not fun at all, trust me. with a drill press, i'd still expect it to be somewhat difficult.

Actually, with a drill press and the right bits, doing 100-200 holes really isn't that bad and can be knocked out in an hour or so. It surprised me, because I drilled a fairly complicated board with a cordless drill and it was no fun at all
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by threepointone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- I read somewhere it's somewhat easier using actual toner transfer paper and using a laminator to transfer rather than an iron, but the cost of the specialty papers will probably kill the savings in the first place.
- I get holes in the toner transfer all the time, and quite a bit of work is needed to fix up the boards afterwards.

The big plus, of course, is that it's great for prototyping, especially if you're working with sensitive circuits (where breadboards/other prototyping methods might not work well)

I still do like the idea of making PCBs at home, and I'm exploring some other methods of making them. A DIY CNC mill for holes + DIY PCB plotter for the etch resist (there's an article in this month's circuit cellar; I don't know if it's available free online, though) seems like a nice setup to me, if I get time over the summer to make it all--no nonsense with the transfer or drilling. I also heard you can do a DIY solder mask by baking some sort of art chemical (lots of colors to choose from, too)--it's somewhere in the headwize/diyaudio archives, iirc.

I;ll have to take a look for that. I had heard that a laminator works better than ironing things on. I've also never tried the photo-resist stuff, and that looks like it could give better results.

May 5, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #13 of 19
I make my own boards using photolithography, takes about an hour - hour and a half for a double sided through hole plated PCB.

And yes you can do those yourself, you can do mechanical through hole plating using though hole rivets like these http://www.megauk.com/through_hole_rivets.php - Tedius, perhaps but certainly doable and you don't need the expensive riveter either, the rivets and an old multimeter probe will do.

And lining up double sided is easy enough you just fold the transparency, line them up and then staple them there - then you just place the PCB in there and make sure you don't move it around when you flip the board for the other side (double sided UV exposure units are much too expensive)

As for the chemicals, a company called Seno makes a handy plastic bag system (Seno GS System) that lets you work with PCB fab'ing chemical easily and cleanly, and they are extremely cheap and come with neutralizing chemicals for safe disposal.

As I see it the primary downside to doing PCBs yourself is the setup cost.

Personally I find being able to have a PCB ready to go inside a couple of hours to warrent the expense.

I will say though, don't play around with toner transfer or other "creative" methods, I tried that and it is a hassle beyond belief, and you can't get anywhere near the accuracy you get from photolithography - 8 mils is usually not a problem for me and I can do less for short stretches.

Of course if you are patient having your prints made is a lot easier and cheaper
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #14 of 19
First let me say I'm not disagreeing with Andrew, his points are good, quite valid, and yet he has made so many good points in one thread it is easier to just reply to his with my take on it, since I do etch some boards myself. I'm not saying he's wrong at all, he just covered so many important factors it was easier to express my take in a reply to his post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewFischer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is why I don't:

The savings aren't enough to make it worth the hassle.

The start up expense. To do it right, I'd need to spend a couple of hundred dollars plus get a decent laser printer.

It is true you can't realize a savings after the first couple boards, but startup expense has a lot to do with how many of the prerequisite tools/supplies/etc, you have. Given someone who already owns some basic *tools* like a laser printer and a drill press, it ends up being substantially cheaper over the long run to etch your own. To give you an example, I bought several linear feet of copper clad on ebay and a pound of ferric chloride (dry) at MPJA for under $30 total, delivered, and will be able to make over 2 dozen boards with only significant remaining expenses being a small % of the cost of laser toner and maybe 10 sheets of photopaper, maybe a buck or two more if I happened to break a drill bit and about $3 worth of acetone just because it takes off laser toner so easily instead of scrubbing.

I didn't have to spend anywhere near $200 to start, may not have spent $200 total since I first started etching and have good stock waiting for many future projects. If I "had" to, I could even buy the drill press and laser printer plus all supplies necessary for under $200. Then I (would if I didn't already) have a drill press and laser printer, two things even more useful than being able to etch your own boards, IMO. Anyway, a basic entry level set of expenses could include a $5 bottle of etchant (Radio Shack, or several places online sell liquid or dry to mix your own), about $2-3 per 4x5" copper clad at surplus 'sites (works fine, no reason to spend obscene amounts at Digikey/etc, but later buying in larger quantities it gets even cheaper), a spare plastic tub just large enough you don't need a ton of etchant to cover the board (free, or maybe $2 at some discount store if someone really doesn't have a plastic tub (?).

On some cost figures I've left out shipping charges, but it's partially because pre-planning can allow adding items to other orders and items like ferric chloride or a plastic tub are usually available locally. I've left out a handful of paper towels and a little water, an old retired scotchbrite scrub sponge, etc - misc low-cost items commonly found in any home.

Some people will claim it ought to be heated, or it ought to have bubbles, or agitated, many things that are not necessary just so they can speed up the etching process a little. These are nice luxuries but not at all necessary to achieve a good result, basically the difference is it takes 10-25 minutes instead of 5, but what was the other alternative? Waiting days to get a board you order somewhere. If someone doesn't have anything they can do for 10 extra minutes wait-time, what was the hurry? Multi-tasking rules.

It is true a laser printer is a large initial expense. It might be enough to sway someone away, but a laser printer is such a wonderful computer toy to have, just get one! All kidding aside, my opinion is it's one of those modern conveniences worth owning, just for it's obvious intended purpose, nevermind etching circuit boards.

It does not need to be even slightly "good" quality printer, any ancient 300 DPI printer is fine so long as it works as it was designed to and the cartridge isn't shot. I was using an old (8-10 years maybe?) HP Laserjet III that had been refilled with bulk copy machine toner and had over 500K pages on it, but it died last year so I started using my 2nd oldest (now oldest) printer, a Lexmark/IBM 4039. It can't keep toner adhering to the shiney side of "glossy" photo paper, so with it I have to use semi-gloss or flip the paper over (so long as it's coated on the back too).

I've used a high-end color laser, and a cheapo $40 AR Samsung 2010 B&W laser, all have done an acceptible job but I tend to use the older printers because laser fusers used to get hotter than current models do, in many cases allowing for cheap bulk toner refills which make it very cheap to print (anything, but especially pages with a lot of toner like an etching pattern).

Quote:

I don't own a drill press. Holes can be made with a dremel but they aren't as good.

I can drill fine holes with a dremel, but don't as the problem is the HSS bits dull too quickly and the carbide bits are too brittle and break because I don't have a dremel press stand and won't buy one because I have a drill press. Certainly the cost of a drill press is another deterrent, but a drill press is another one of those vital, must-have toys even if you aren't making your own PCBs.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

I don't have the proper tools to cut the boards up. I got yelled at the last time I used the paper cutter at work. Besides the results are kinda crappy.

Generally I buy based on the width desired so there's often only one cut needed. A miter saw is useful, but I've cut with a hacksaw and sabre saw as well, it's not so different from cutting any other thin piece of wood accurately. That's not some peoples' cup-of-tea, I'll grant that some are more likely to be experienced in similar hobbies or work skills carried over towards useful tools and experience with certain aspects of making boards. If a cut isn't straight but close, there are lots of ways to true it some like a router or belt sander or table saw or whatever. Suppose it's off by 1mm in one dimension though, that may not be critical. At worst you just throw it out, all in all the cost of a blank piece of copper clad is low compared to cost of a whole project.

Quote:

I'm not sure if I could get a double sided board to line up. I'm sure it can be done, I just doubt my skill level. Mess up once or twice and it would be cheaper to send the board out.

It's not expensive to make mistakes, usually. Suppose you get 4 patterns out of $1 worth of photopaper + toner, used $0.80 worth of etchant on a board, and the board cost $2. The worst possible mistake late in the process would cause you to scrap a board, at a loss of $3.05. Usually, if there is a mistake or alignment problem you can just stop at that point in the process and the board isn't a loss, you may only have to remove toner and apply one of the remaining 3 patterns you made on the same piece of photopaper.

It does take practice, method to align two sides, and at least a printer + software that outputs correct aspect ratio or "close enough". I would suggest anyone looking to get into etching, start out with easy single-sided projects then progress to more complex when they feel ready.

I should mention that I don't try to etch very very fine traces, but a large part of why is that there are no projects here that require it, save for a high pin density DAC or something like that.

Quote:

You don't get solder mask, silk screen or plating with the basic toner transfer boards. DIY doesn't require these features, but I like to have them.

If you want to plate, you can get cold tinning solution or use a tinning flux and put the board in (an old toaster oven, etc) to bake it on. That improves solderability, but a topcoat of lacquer or conformal coating could be used. It does slightly add to the cost per board, but for one-off projects the board cost is still substantially lower than ordering it anywhere. Plus, it's not necessarily that you're creating a final masterpiece $300 amp with a DIY etching, it could be a test circuit or something you never glance at ever again, what it looked like just didn't matter.

Silkscreen is useful as an aid in parts ID and placement when building, but frankly I never felt it was missing when I didn't have it. Depends on the density of the board (parts as well) if you had a ton of tiny surface mount parts it is of greater benefit to ID parts and reference a schematic than on most of the larger scale parts we're using for headamps.

I think it can be said that you don't have to choose always etching or always ordering boards, each can have their place. I can say that it's a nice convenience that if you want a board to use quick, an hour after you have a pattern to print you can already have a board finished after a few boards practice so your speed at doing it increases. This is especially true with drilling, if you have good hand-eye coordination it goes pretty quickly. EDIT: I mean quickly on a drill press. Unless you have HSS bits, typical carbide PCB bits may break too easily to go fast with a dremel or hand drill (and still breakage rate might be high even if you take you time unless using oversized bits).

Some people just don't want to, and I can accept that. There are a lot of things those people do in (life) that I might not want to do instead. For the cosmetic effect alone, I would encourage buying professionally made boards for any higher-end project, because that is obviously very important to some people (if not all) on *some* projects, but not all projects can be classified as such. I suppose my conclusion is that it's not something viable to make only one or two boards *ever*, but over time it can be a good suppliment to an electronics related hobby(s). You're never compelled to etch any particular board, can pick and choose when to do so.

May 6, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjavitt90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey,
I've been reading around this forum about how a lot of people decide to make their own pcb's. But in actuality they just send off the design to some company to make the pcb's for them.

Thanks for your time.

Often when you see a good idea or finished amp design, there is a lot of interest by people of different skill levels. Certainly some won't want to etch, if the project has enough demand there will often be a run (or several) of boards professionally made. Especially for someone just starting out, there is great benefit in this.

- Somone else has (hopefully) debugged it, might've ordered multiple revisions of boards during the design process or etching up to a certain point but then reach a good design with time invested that others don't have to then redundantly undertake themselves, and there are fewer things that can go wrong building the project if you can assume possible human error has been avoided and checked by peers, like that the traces go to the right pins, even that the design is proven working by someone who has already built it.

- With a board exactly the same as several, maybe hundreds of other people have, if you do have a problem you may be able to just take a picture and someone will see right away what went wrong. If you etched the same thing, you add another layer of variables of what might be wrong.

- It's easier to solder a plated board or plated holes. This is often seeming pretty important to those who had previously tried to build something like a CMOY on Ratshack protoboard with a cheap iron, because that is a harder combination to solder *well* for someone with less soldering experience.

- Professionally made boards look better. You may want your amp to be a showcase and it may deserve that.

- Being a public forum you get all kinds of different abilities, skill levels, budgets, all coming to one place for a goal. They won't all have the same means towards the end and the lowest common denominator tends to be what is easiest, to help those that need it and make it quicker for those who don't.

- Some amps are very popular and a larger quantity of boards makes for a lower per-unit cost.

- Since professionally made boards look better, I suspect you will tend to find more glamor shots of amps made from them. Plus, suppose you make something unique and etched a board, either those you would share the design with can take the pattern and run with it, or they will need to have a board made, so it doesn't necessary do anything useful or descriptive in a way that aids others to say "I etched it", unless that info is applicable to the discussion in some way. So while the # of people or projects using professionally made boards may be higher, the perception of how many people are etching anything may be lower than it actually is.

- Some amps are not short/quick or cheap endeavors, they take some research, planning, testing, prototyping, etc. Waiting a few days to get some boards made professionally or spending such a small % of the total budget on this is not so significant.

- Uncertainty of the result. It's possible to etch a board and have the resulting amp sound as good as with a professionally made board, but I don't think anyone would reasonably expect it to sound better than a professionally made board, and it "Might" be worse in some cases. If you're doing everything you can to make the amp as good as possible, one choice seems safer than the other.

- Some types of people like to design more than build. If they can skip a step in the process and still have what they designed, so much the better. If they have more money than time, again it might be a good tradeoff. A hobby is what you like to do, if you don't like some portion of a hobby and can avoid it, that is good.

- Depending on the culture, environment you were raised in, you may have more or less ability to work with your hands. Some people just take to it better than others too, we all have our own unique sets of talents or skills. Depending on age you may have more or fewer tools. Today more than in the past, a lot of people interested in headamps are the younger MP3 generation, they don't have a lot of tools yet, if they ever will. Depending on where you live you may simply lack space for the tools. Where do you put a drill press if you don't have a workshop, basement, decent garage, etc?

Some people only start buying a lot of tools after finding they need them for projects, so maybe when they start out building amps they don't etch their own but eventually they would. Like with many hobbies, there are far more beginning and intermediate level participants than older ones, and I think especially so when it comes to a hobby with participants populating a web forum like this, with a younger crowd more likely to spend time on the internet (unless they have other interests putting them on the 'net as well).

Or I could be completely wrong with much of the above, since I'm not someone who never etches anything. I think there is a lot to be said for motivation too, if you can have an idea and move forward on it quickly, it can more likely result in a finished project. A lot of people (myself included) may lose momentum after certain point. You often see it with people who post their design but they haven't had any boards made and never do, that point is where they lose momentum, or often it's rightabout when it comes time to case up an amp, unless you just want to settle for the same Hammond case as everyone else (and maybe you, too) has already used on another project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back