Making my first CMOY, need a lot of help.
Mar 11, 2009 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

quane

100+ Head-Fier
I know, I know.. There's been 100 of threads like this, but each of us is unique and needs different things
biggrin.gif
If I will start building a CMOY, it will only happen after about a month or so (at least) because I need a pair of suitable headphones first. I've looked at some CMOY threads but usually people only show pics and not say anything. So, I got couple questions.

I need all parts from UK as I live here

I plan on making a CMOY that will have 1 volume knob, 1 on/off switch, 1 LED for the front, a mini or 1/8 (6.5mm jack) and I'm un-certain for the rest. I'm a total newbie, so bear with me. It's gonna be sitting at my house and I need something that would be value/performance as I don't have that much of a budget. I can't decide between internal PSU (probably those big batteries) or an external one (it would probably cost more), which is a better choice? This CMOY will be used for PC (not onboard audio).

1. Is Metal housing cheap? Where could I get it (except ebay and only UK), or could I make it myself (don't really want tin from mints)
2. How much would a pretty ok cmoy cost (estimate, all parts ordered from UK.)
3. What components do I need?
4. What is the drill called that you would use for circuits? ( I used it in Technology at school, 2 years ago but can't recall the name.)
5. What other tools are needed for an "OK" build?

If I have anymore questions, I'll post them
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 20
Mar 11, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 20
Double post

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 20
1. You can get a metal project box from any electronics store for less than 5 bux
2. Parts without shipping to UK would be about $30-$40 USD (If not, then less). I am sure you know around the average price for US to UK shipping prices, the parts aren't even that big.
3. You can find many BOM lists for different Cmoy builds around here and other sites, just depends on what type of cmoy you want to build.
4. ??
5. Tools really don't determine how good your build is. You can build a cmoy with a hot glue gun and tape. But you ideally you at least need a soldering iron, pliers, wire cutters, electrical tape, and some other small stuff.

GL

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 20
Thanks v3nom, and Bullseye, I'll look into it.

4. It's not a hand-held drill, it's more like a wee machine that sits on your table (not a huge machine that is same size as an average fridge.) About height of a coke bottle, a bit wider.

Or do you get circuits that have been drilled out already?

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 20
You should get what they call "proto board" it is a board that has the holes pre drilled and there are copper pads to solder to on the bottom. The link that was posted is what I followed for my cmoy and it worked out well. There is a link on the site to a company called T2 that seems like the UK radioshack. They carry the exact board that is needed for the project which I would recommend. Here is a link to the board that you would use for the cmoy: Multipurpose PC Board

You actually cut it in half so each board can make 2 cmoys! My advice would be to follow the instructions as close as possible the first time then start to branch out for other projects.

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 20
Can't find what you mean (alps rk97).

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 20
How can you combine Volume Knob and On/Off switch in 1 piece of hardware? O.o that just doesn't make sense
biggrin.gif
And why would you do that?

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 20
The knob functions as a rotating pot as well as a push bottom. I would not recommend this because of its low quality and you would have to be able to know exactly how to wire this specific type of switch/pot. I would just recommend a pot and a separate SPST switch that you can wire in series with the battery.

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 20
Ohh.. That's still pretty pointless
biggrin.gif
Certainly not getting that. It's not so much about quality, it's more about DIY'ing but what would be the point if the final result wasn't worth anything/

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 20
If you used the alps rk097 you would only need to drill one hole in the enclosure for the power switch/volume vs. two separate holes if you got a different pot.

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1m80t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you are new to DIY just build the CMOYBB, it will cost about 30-40USD but its a heck of lot easier to build is more stable

Link?

BTW Is that the wee kit from eBay that costs like £25?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back