Making full range driver speakers
Feb 13, 2020 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jbucla2005

1000+ Head-Fier
I recently made full range driver speakers by installing the drivers (Mark Audio Alpair 10p) into speaker cabinets I used that were previously used for other drivers. I took out the crossover circuitry and disconnected the tweeters. Results are great but a bit bass light. How could I optimize bass with this kind of speaker? I may build some more maybe making my own cabinet next time.

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 4
Several options.

What you are probably hearing is the baffle step. You can add in an L pad filter (basically a crossover) to help boost the bass and fight the baffle step loss.

You could also make proper cabinets for the driver. You can even go to an extreme and try making a rear loaded horn speaker. I believe there are free plans online for the Alpair drivers.

And lastly you could just chuck them in some really big baffles and run them as open baffle speakers. The larger the baffle the less bass roll off you will hear.

Feb 14, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 4
Definitely considering the open baffle idea. Thanks!

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 4
Definitely considering the open baffle idea. Thanks!
drawn to this post because of the full range being mentioned.

I noticed the drivers are 16cm which is small for full range/low end extension, AND their efficiency is quite low. Large open baffles (and I mean large as in 2m*2m) wil certainly help, yet don't expect earth moving low end unless when using a bunch per channel. Perhaps a horn design would suit these drivers better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back