Making connections
Aug 4, 2006 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

wirbeltier

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all!

What do you think is the best, read: most audiophile and sound preserving, way to connect two solid core copper cables without soldering?

Thanks
Klaus

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 17
Not to be a jackass but the best way is welding.
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 17
I know there are some RCA connectors that use screws so you can just insert the wire and screw it tight. Honestly though if you are just trying to save money this way you are much better off just buying a cable from someone because most of those connectors aren't very cheap.

-Alex-

Aug 4, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 17
Thanks! And no, its not about saving money. I am thinking, that the avoidance of solder in the signal path is an improvement. If I want to connect a speaker cable directly to the speaker (which is the case with single-speaker boxes, for example) I think the avoidance of interconnects should improve the sq. So: it is about avoidance of interconnects as well as of solder. Am I seeing this right?

Cheers
Klaus

Aug 4, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 17
Even with $50000 speakers they don't come with cables preattached, so you buy the speaker cables and plug them in, assume the contact resistance isn't going to matter in this case. But it is never as good as soldering.

Aug 4, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 17
...true. But I can custom order my speakers
biggrin.gif
So: will there be a better method than soldering (and welding
tongue.gif
) to make the connection between the cable from the chassis to the LS-cable?

Aug 5, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #9 of 17
Besides welding and soldering, crimping is the best way. Under pressure, metals actually bond at the molecular level a little bit. It's actually a pretty fair way to make a electrical connection.

Aug 5, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #10 of 17
wirbeltier if you think you could even remotely hear a single solder joint when an average amplifier has about 100 in it then I do not wish to offend but you seriously need your head checked.

There is being an audiophile, then there's a crazy audiophile, but this falls into just having some kind of mental condition. I would consider looking at other areas if you really want to improve the sound of your system.

That said crimping gives a fantastic and reliable electrical connection.

Aug 5, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
wirbeltier if you think you could even remotely hear a single solder joint when an average amplifier has about 100 in it then I do not wish to offend but you seriously need your head checked.

There is being an audiophile, then there's a crazy audiophile, but this falls into just having some kind of mental condition. I would consider looking at other areas if you really want to improve the sound of your system.

That said crimping gives a fantastic and reliable electrical connection.

I am offended. Besides, this argument applies also to cables and other connections. Many manufactures do in fact pay much attention for example to the kind of solder they use. Maybe you can't hear a single solder joint in a less than perfect setup...but if you do carefully design your system you will of course be able to hear the difference.

But thanks for being constructive at last.

Aug 5, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #12 of 17
With all due respect - do you really think that removing one soldier joint is going to make a difference?

There have been many minds, sane and not-so-sane, that have tried to extract every single bit of performance from their systems - and the idea of lowering the amount of solder connection has never come up.

Also, do you mind if i ask what this "perfect setup" you speak of is? I find it hard to believe that there has been any setups built with the number of solder connections in mind, and im almost certain that any component you list i could find at least 5 unneeded solder connections.

Rob.

Aug 5, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by wirbeltier
Thanks! And no, its not about saving money. I am thinking, that the avoidance of solder in the signal path is an improvement. If I want to connect a speaker cable directly to the speaker (which is the case with single-speaker boxes, for example) I think the avoidance of interconnects should improve the sq. So: it is about avoidance of interconnects as well as of solder. Am I seeing this right?

Cheers
Klaus

Solder creates the most molecular bonding possible. Ironically if solder wasn't so common, to audiophiles it would be that final uber improvement that you are shunning. Further, how are you going to avoid that the speaker coil itself is probably soldered on?

If you just want to do something interesting, use solder with as much silver content as you think you can get away with before needing to excessively heat the parts.

Now back to the original question, to connect the two solid core wires you'd slip a piece of adhesive lined heatshrink tubing over a wire, then crimp connector, sliding them both back away from the work. Then overlap the bare ends and twist them around each other tightly (heavy wire may require pliers to do it), then slip the crimp down and crimp, then the heatshrink. Personally I'd just as soon put some silver (if not 63/37) solder over the twisted wires first but it's your cable...

Aug 5, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 17
I don't see how solder in the signal path can hurt anything. A cold solder in the signal path is a bad thing, but barring those, it's the most electronically transparent way to go.

If you're not going to be moving your system any time soon and intend to keep the same setup, I'd tell you to go ahead and solder your interconnects to your amp and to your speakers. Inconvenient, but you're going to have the best connection there is- a connection at the molecular level.

Also, it's best not to spent too much time chasing your tail with these issues. A layer of tin and lead can be meaningless compared to background noise kicked off by a refrigerator, your computer and the sun itself. We live in a noisy universe and you cannot control for everything.

For me, I can accept known imperfections because I know there are hundreds, if not thousands, of other factors I cannot control for or would be vastly expensive to control for. Instead, do the best you can at a reasonable cost and enjoy the music. That's what it's really about, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back