Making a Vixen out of my Joe Grado HP-1000?
Jan 7, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Worth it? What are the sonic differences? Do you find that the headphones are so resolving that they are brutally unforgiving of poor recordings?

To me the phones sound more refined and open (Hope it makes sense, those were the first thoughts that came to my head).
I don't think they are that unforgiving of poor recordings. In fact, until you asked I never really thought about that too much. I listen to a lot of blues, some of them on vinyl and it sounds okay to me.
I know Joe tuned these headphones with opera which I hardly listen to. He sent me back the phones with a cd of himself singing opera and it sounds really nice (both his voice and the recording quality).
Worth it for sure considering Mr Grado is the only person who can perform these upgrades and he is in his 80's.
My opinions maybe biased 'cause I am kind of a collector by nature and the fact that I spent good money on them didn't help..
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got of the phone with Joe Grado. He is going work on them for me. I'll post pics and a review when I get them back, which may be a few months from now.

I certainly like that move more. So HP1i (ish) it will be then...
Make sure to keep us posted.

Jun 5, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #34 of 37
[size=small]Check out DEAL 1 on Headphile - is it worth it?[/size]

[size=small]The Vixen HP1000 V3 Primo Custom... Rare Snakewood tops with a great snake pattern, Gaboon Ebony bodies, domed stealth screens, BlackGold 2.0 meter with Ebony CJC to Neutrik 1/4" plug, black leather headband, black Velour pads (rather than shown leather in pics), Grado HP1000 drivers in V3 Korina soundboards, COA... better than HP3000 IMO... $1995[/size]

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #35 of 37
Without hearing either of them, I would have to say yes, it is worth it, but that doesn't mean it sounds great. The HP-1000 stock usually sells for about $1500us, so $500us on top of that for all of those mods isn't such a  bad deal.

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #36 of 37

Quote:
[size=small]Check out DEAL 1 on Headphile - is it worth it?[/size]

[size=small]The Vixen HP1000 V3 Primo Custom... Rare Snakewood tops with a great snake pattern, Gaboon Ebony bodies, domed stealth screens, BlackGold 2.0 meter with Ebony CJC to Neutrik 1/4" plug, black leather headband, black Velour pads (rather than shown leather in pics), Grado HP1000 drivers in V3 Korina soundboards, COA... better than HP3000 IMO... $1995[/size]

Sorry but I dont like the look of those things - imo they look much prettier before the mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back