making a new headphone cable
Jun 3, 2009 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bobfig

New Head-Fier
hay guys im trying to make a new cable for my hd-555. i got 4 individual wires that are ~10ft long and was wondering how or what method is preferred to make the cable. do you prefer weaving the wire or just twisting them? i have sleeving that will go on top. its just i want to know how to make the best possible quality.

i hop you guys can get what im saying.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 14
I Litz braid them.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 14
Definitely braid them, it will help the cable "keep" longer.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 14
Braiding will offer some emi resistance, take your pick from a flat or round braid. Good luck with the recable.

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 14
here is the cable as it is
IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

i striped it down to the 2 wires that were inside. don't have any in the process but here is what it would come out like.
IMG_0170.jpg

im not sure of the length but its around 10-12ft long finished so i had to strip 20-25ft of this stuff and it took like 2 or 3 hours. i don't really know because i had to stop for supper, cant deny food
biggrin.gif

the sleaving i took off (all just this project.

IMG_0188.jpg

when done taking the sleaving off i braided it. to me it was a pain in the ______ but only took me like 20 min to do 10ft.
IMG_0174.jpg

done braiding i added my sleaving. (its murdermod 4.4mm)

IMG_0168.jpg

the first thing i put on was the mini stereo jack on one end before the sleaving. at the other i reused the HD-555 jack because its a special and i couldn't dind a new one anywhere. to me it looks like a motherboard header i could of used but i through all my old computers out a few weeks ago.

IMG_0175.jpg

test fit

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

putting it back together

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

ALL DONE!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

IMG_0184.jpg

and the old wire

IMG_0185.jpg

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #12 of 14
that cable you had looked awesome before you stripped it! link to where you got it, or did you buy locally?

just curious. i couldnt actually use that and walk around in public haha

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 14
man i wish he would post specific details on this, like how he got the plug out from the earcup, connected the wires to those motherboard jumpers, etc.  i want to do this so bad but don't know how to get the stuff out from the earcup, etc.  please if your still here answer!

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #14 of 14
There are a number of headphone recabling guides in the DIY Forum and possibly in the Wiki - I haven't checked lately.

First, you'll need to figure out how to open your headphones. Run searches for your model since every one has been opened up at one time or another here. You will have to be careful when desoldering and soldering the wires to the drivers. Too much heat will melt the insulation on the wires in the voicecoils, shorting them out. You have to heatsink them correctly. All of the wires, sleeving, plugs, etc. are easily found from a number of sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back