MAKING A DECENT HI-FI POWER SUPPLY FOR XONAR ESSENCE
Jun 16, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #31 of 322
i own an X-fi,any1 could give me heads up if upgrading the power supply would improve its performance?i think im on a 450W PSU from LianLi.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #32 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverskull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i own an X-fi,any1 could give me heads up if upgrading the power supply would improve its performance?i think im on a 450W PSU from LianLi.

This project is not really applicable to your X-fi, well not without extensive soldering and modification.
The Xonar STX has a molex conenctor so the card takes it's power right from teh PSU of the PC and not through the PCI/PCI-E bus.
What some of the STX owners have been doing is building high quality power supplies to connect to this molex conencotr on their card.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #33 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This project is not really applicable to your X-fi, well not without extensive soldering and modification.
The Xonar STX has a molex conenctor so the card takes it's power right from teh PSU of the PC and not through the PCI/PCI-E bus.
What some of the STX owners have been doing is building high quality power supplies to connect to this molex conencotr on their card.

oh darn,knew i should have waited for the STX,but it wasn't released here in aussie during the starting of the year.but i don't have the skills to do so anyways,probably need some help.

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #34 of 322
So what's the status now?
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it done and being tested now?

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #35 of 322
The STATUS is:
The 5V doesnt work!!!
But then I connected the 12V from the new PSU and 5V from computer and I must
say it was a illuminaton of sound. Everything opened up so clear, there is air and such dynamics for dream. The colouration is gone, so everything is clear in whole freq. spectrum. As owner of essence I never thought it would be such huge difference. The PSU really is the major factor of good sounding DAC!!! The PSU from Kingwa is on 12V really really good, so clear and open.
The 12V on the sound card are for analog section not? So and the 5V are ???
As essence owner I will never ever if I get the PSU comp. to work connect to computer PSU!!!!!

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #36 of 322
I am unsure what you mean by the 5V does not work.
However, the board logic (5V) is taken from the PCI-E slot. The power for the amplifier seciton is taken from teh molex to keep it as clean as possible.

I am glad it worked out so good for you. Are you still using the stock opamps?

Your cards PSU is made by you or did you end up ordering one from Kingwa?
If you ended up building it, what did you end up paying for it?

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #37 of 322
I am saying that 5V+ from molex does not work from kingwa PSU!!! But I did connect the 12V from kingwa and 5V from computer PSU!
No I use all the time burson opamps, they have more than 300h of operation and are
just wonderful.
No I just ordered the finished board from kingwa! The prices are on their page!
I really want to make it work both but will see!

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #38 of 322
I see.

Does the card draw 5 volts from the molex?
The way I understand it 5V is taken from the slot itslef.

As for the Discretes, Yeah they are pretty good. The discrete opamps and a high quality dedicated PSU..wow you must have some kicing soudn quality
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #43 of 322
wow...
guess maybe the key is not to mess with the 1000 OPAMPs out there, but simply change to a better external PSU...
redface.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #45 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbieyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow...
guess maybe the key is not to mess with the 1000 OPAMPs out there, but simply change to a better external PSU...
redface.gif

He's also using the discrete audio-gd opamps.. so we have no idea if there is any improvement with stock op-amps.. though I imagine there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back