Make yourself SOIC8 to DIP8 adapter (56k warnings!!!)
Apr 30, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #17 of 35
I'm sorry to bump this tread again, but man is this awesome...

I used the top method, but my vicegrips weren't handy so I ended up using a little dab of hot glue to keep the chip in place, worked out pretty well.

I'll just be bookmarking this now....

Apr 30, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by sijosae
bpribadi, Very good job and nice pics.

I introduce my recommended method.
I think following is an another easy way.

SMD2DIP8.jpg

When using the method suggested by sijosae, does it matter if dip adapters are gold plated or not (I don't know if gold plated solders properly)?

Apr 30, 2005 at 9:09 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
You guys are using an awful lot of solder there.
tongue.gif

-Ed

It just looks like a lot, but it's just because the magnification is hoooooge.

An ant looks like one of those things from from starship troopers x800 magnification!

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #24 of 35
I didn't use anything special; but it is kind of a PITA.

It's very important you find a way to hold the chip down, otherwise you'll just move it all over the place with the iron (as I did for 30-40 mins). The small vise-grips work well, just don't crush the chip!

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpribadi
Thanks NOTHINGness! Yes, I use G2 with B+W Macro adaptor (+10 dioptre).

You just wait until I figure out how to do this, then I take pictures with my Minolta A1 with a 50mm lens reversed on the front, its better than a microscope
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #26 of 35
ahhh good old reverse lense macros. Nothing beats using an Olympus with 10x zoom running through a 35mm lens to blow a PCB via up to 2048 x the3:4equiverlant
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #28 of 35
Hey,
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I think its really useful, also I made my ow twist on this great tutorial. Basically the DIP sockets I had weren't the right type for making this particular adapter because the individual 'legs' had kind of rivets on top and they didn't work to bend across to meet the legs of the SOIC chip... if that makes sense.

So what I did was got 8 'off-cuts' from capacitors / resister legs etc and poked each one individually into the adapter (just as the Op Amps legs would) - then put the scrap protoboard on top so each off cut slid through the corresponding hole. Then I bluetacked the SOIC chip to the centre, bent each off cut (one at a time) over to meet the corresponding leg of the SOIC chip, soldering, snipped, then moved onto the next one.

Worked a treat! Hope this helps someone!

DSCF2323.JPG

DSCF2321.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back