Make me not buy these headphones!!! pls
Feb 26, 2007 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pablobaluba

100+ Head-Fier
so...i wanna buy some <100$ headphones and after many researches i think i will decide between

1. sennheiser hd485

2. grado rs60/rs80

3. audio technica m30

i'm almost down with the senn's, all reviews i read doesn't show any real problems with those headphones.

the grado's/ms-1 might be better (sound) but i heard they are quite uncomfortable after 30 min and imo they look very ugly (of course that's not a top reason not buyin' them)

about the audio technica i don't know too much but the technical information is quite good

i want to use them for my pc, integrated sound card (maybe i'll be a pro soundcard in the near future), hip hop and movies.

as i said the overall rating of the senn's seems to be excellent at this price plus....they come with a support that will be very usefull to me.

so if you know...give me arguments not to buy the senn's!!!

thanks and i'm waiting comments

ps-this will be my first pair of quality headphones

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 11
Do not buy those headphones!
OK go ahead and get the Grado's. Don't forget the AKG K81DJ, I like it better than the Grado, because of the bass, but think they both sound great. I haven't heard the Senn but I am guessing you would like the Grado's better and they will run fine from your soundcard.

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 11
dont know about exactly this Sennheiser's model.. but as others are mentioned, they are similar to EH series... I was very disappointed with EH 350.. bloated bass, almost no midrange and highs.. but in any way, you must judge by yourself. If you are able to hear heaphones, you mentioned, and like them, no one is able argue enough not to buy them..
icon10.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 11
Ok, don't buy the Sennheisers 485.

Now that I have your attention, head over to the For-Sale forum and check out a few others Conduit's HD580 with HD650 cable, a nice deal for $105 or the few pairs of AKG 81DJ's. Lots of choices buddy. And when you get a chance to, improve upton that onboard soundcard and get yourself an amp
smily_headphones1.gif
Your wallet will never be the same again
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pablobaluba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so...i wanna buy some <100$ headphones and after many researches i think i will decide between

1. sennheiser hd485

2. grado rs60/rs80

3. audio technica m30

i'm almost down with the senn's, all reviews i read doesn't show any real problems with those headphones.

the grado's/ms-1 might be better (sound) but i heard they are quite uncomfortable after 30 min and imo they look very ugly (of course that's not a top reason not buyin' them)

about the audio technica i don't know too much but the technical information is quite good

i want to use them for my pc, integrated sound card (maybe i'll be a pro soundcard in the near future), hip hop and movies.

as i said the overall rating of the senn's seems to be excellent at this price plus....they come with a support that will be very usefull to me.

so if you know...give me arguments not to buy the senn's!!!

thanks and i'm waiting comments

ps-this will be my first pair of quality headphones

Well what music do you like? The HD485's have a lot of bass and prefer the EH350 for my bass-leaning cans (Disagree with the poster about the lack of highs, at least after burn in--and the 350's are completely different from the 150's or 250's).

Grados are very neutral sounding & sound COMPLETELY different from the HD4xx line. They are good for detailed music, for hip-hop, funk, or other bass heavy music, the Grado sound might not be for you.

As far as the Audio Technica, they are very similar to the Grados, maybe more bass focused.

Overall, don't get the HD485, if you like warmth go with the EH350 or check out an MS-1. The Grados are neutral sounding--if you like bassier music you can do better. The Audio Tech's are nice, but are the most expensive of the bunch (I think).

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 11
haven't listened to any of the others but don't get the grados if you like treble exstention. There is something seriously weird about there high frequanys, sounds compleatly artificail and at the very top slightly distorted.

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #10 of 11
Just bought the Hd485's myself. I agree with others that they are bass heavy. This may not be a bad thing for some. If you can EQ down the bass, it'll save power for the mids and top end as bass is always the most power hungry of the spectrum.

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm also considering the Sen 485 and AT M30(among a couple others) for home theater. Isn't a "bass heavy" headphone a good thing for home theater, since you can't use your subwoofer? I'm not sure what to look for in a headphone for home theater, but I do want full size and comfortable. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back