make a choice between shure 846 and customized earplugs
Jun 29, 2014 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

simonhou886

New Head-Fier
as the title. looking forward to buy a pair of new earphone. i had a hard time in making choice between shure 846( which i my favorite brand) and those customized earphones. like UE, JH 1946, havent owned/ tried those brand. well i mean in the same price level. which should i choose? anyone can help me out?

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 9
Unless you plan on keeping custom molds indefinitely since they will only fit your ears correctly I would go with the 846's at least you could sell those to almost anyone should you want to upgrade in the future.

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 9
well thanks for replying. the thing is, i will def keep my new pair of earphones. even though i m upgrading in the future, i m going to buy a pair of new instead of selling the old one. what i really want to know is. is there any same price-level customs that can be compared to the se846s? you know from the listening experience and etc

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 9
as the title. looking forward to buy a pair of new earphone. i had a hard time in making choice between shure 846( which i my favorite brand) and those customized earphones. like UE, JH 1946, havent owned/ tried those brand. well i mean in the same price level. which should i choose? anyone can help me out?

What kind of sound signature are you looking for? What kind of music do you like?

If you like universal vs custom IEMs there is also the ie 800, the W60 and the universal Roxanne to consider among others. Based upon my signature you can see I prefer the SE846 but at the top end is about what you prefer not really what is better.

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 9
well mostly i listening to piano pieces and pops. so ah any good recommendations? btw i considered about the custom IEMs is b/c they way they look are better, and some of them have good sounds

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 9
Well last question is do you like a more linear reference sound or musical. Having owned only three (W60, ie800 and SE846) I will try to limit my comments to them. All are excellent. If you like a more reference linear sound go with the W60, if you want the more musical and dynamic sound the SE846 is your sound.

I cannot recommend the ie800 as with its proprietary tips and non replaceable cable getting a good fit can be really troublesome as it was to me. Also, the non replaceable cables would make me abandon my balanced set up and that I will not do.

You said you like the Shure sound, the simple answer is what Ozz stated. Buy (or demo all first) the 846 at it does represent the apex of the Shure sound and since it is universal the resale hit will not be that great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back