Major problems choosing the right IEM around 100 bucks
Jun 10, 2009 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Timmusic

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for IEM around 100 bucks.

I mainly use it when mountainbiking and in the bus. I want a strong or replacable cable. I use a meizu m6.

At the moment I got the sennheiser cx300, its kinda broken. The bass is overpowered and there is not close to enough detail and the isolation sucks, especially the wind noise when I am on my bike.

I want good isolation, good sound quality and a good cable.

I listen to melodic metal and rock and sometimes more classical music.
I have read a lot, and everybody says something else. I hear the e2c rulez, and i read that it sucks. Same for the er6i UE super fi. 3 etc. I just want good phones which do not need an amp.

I have got a sennheiser hd595 for use at home, I use it with an amp. Love the sound of these phones, a lot of detail and detailed and not boomy bass.

Can somebody help me choosing the right IEMs? It is so hard
confused_face.gif
frown.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 10
Sounds like you and I have similar taste in music -

Now while the MRSP of these aren't quite inside your budget, you can certainly find them for ~$120 new, under $100 used. I would heartily recommend the Audeo PFE. They are incredibly comfortable, GREAT sound and range (sounds great with everything: Opeth, Pat Metheny, orchestral music... etc). Isolation isn't as great as the SHUREs (I owned pairs of e3c's, e4g's, SCL4's) but is definitely good enough IMO. I use the PFE's on the train, plane, and car (top down) and they block out almost all the ambient noise.
One (small) gripe is that I find the PFE's are not overly forgiving to poor quality audio files... if you can't already, you will be able to hear the difference between 192kbps MP3 and 256kbps...
Also, some complain about a lack of bass... I don't necessarily agree. I think they put out a nice, controlled, high quality, and detailed bass. The quantity of bass isn't nearly as large as your cx300's, but the quality will be much better.
PFE's also have swapable sound filters, but I haven't felt the need to put on the bass oriented ones as the default filters give enough bass for me!

Of course, isolation is like 50% dependant on finding the right tips.... so your milage might vary, but that goes for any IEM...

If you are dead set on staying under $100 and buying new, I would take a look at the ER6i - I have only listened briefly but they give amazing isolation, are very detailed and cheap. I think the bass on these sounds pretty thin however.
Also, Westone offers a UM1 that is around $100 new. I have only heard the UM2 (and loved it), so maybe someone else can comment more on this one. I would anticipate nice warm sound, great comfort, and excellent isolation.

If I think of anything else, I will pop back in and let you know.

Good luck!

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the effort
smily_headphones1.gif

I do not have problems with 120 or someting like that. When I get signifcantly more for more money then it isn't a problem.

Cool that you talk about Opeth
wink.gif
I really like that band, so u see what I mean
smily_headphones1.gif

I will do some research about the Audeo PFE, it looks nice so far.

The problem with the ER6i is the weak cable. Have read a lot of times about the weak cable. Not that I am trying to kill my phones, but I use them and take them on the road. Won't have problems putting them in a case or something when I do not use them though.

First I thought the UM1 would be nice, but I have also a pretty big amount of bad things about those. They seem to be nice though, and with a good cable.

My meizu player is known for a relative big amount of bas, without bas boost ****, and I am not a bass head, wouldn't like my hd595's if I were. I am more into quality sound.
A thing I should notice is that I do not play them too loud, I do not want to destroy my hearing, that's why I want to get in ears.

Thanks

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 10
Monster Turbines sound pretty darn good for me and I have heard the HD595 phones as well. The TB have good tight bass that never over powers the rest of the sound and they have good midrange, treble, and are nicely detailed IMO. The sound stage is not as much as the HD595 but that stands to reason due to one being an IEM and the other an open HP.

The TB's are not these most isolating phone on the market but they do a pretty good job of isolation for me.

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the suggestion but 150 is to much for me. I am thinking about the custom 5 for 55 pouns. Wonder how they compare to the e2c, se210 and er6i and others. The audeo PFE seems to unreliable to me.

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #6 of 10
you might search the used forums. if you want a strong cable for around 100, you will have to look at westone and no further. the um1 is great, but not the absolute best sound. however, if you are looking new - even used, for that price, you are asking for too much. replaceable cable is not possible firstly. then, a strong cable is also out of the question.

but good sound on top is another bit that will not make it.

the um1 is not bad sounding phone, it just has nothing that really stands out as being perfect. for music on the beaten path (something i know much about as i cyclocross) turbine, pfe, metro fi, etc etc, will not make it. they are meant for listening at most while walking about - they will get damaged. the monster has a great housing, but the cable is not that strong. the pfe is weak at the housing and the cable. the metro fi will have too loud of cable microphonics.

i would recommend the um1 and get used to the great isolation and strength of them rather than expecting too much.

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 10
Funny, I've never had trouble with Ety ER6i cable......and with Comply foamies they're hard to beat for the money. Better yet, I suggest you run the cable under your shirt. Note that Ety is also v. good if you should care to exercise their warranty.
Personally, I mainly use Klipsch x10 these days.

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the info

And what about the klipsch custom 2? It is 40% cheaper for me than the um1...and the cable should be strong. I do not want to pay 100 dollars on bad sounding phones... I am not expecting an amazing sound, but I am expecting good though.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 10
Want to save some money and get a very decent pair of IEMs? Check the Amazon sale of the Metro.Fi 200v, which are $25 shipped (MSRP of $99 when released). I have a pair, and they can compete with $100 phones. For example, I much prefer them over the UM1s, which I had and returned in a week. The 200vs are detailed, decent bass and mids. Nothing bad about them. If you can get the Custom 2s that cheap, they also sound like a good option. I own the X10s and had the Custom 3s, sold the latter. But like the Klipsch sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back