MAJOR audio/video computer problem -- please help!
Apr 5, 2004 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
For some reason, all the audio and video on the computer I'm using here in Israel (my cousin's computer) is sped up. That means it's also at a higher pitch which is also annoying. I'm trying to watch the regular season opener of my boys the Sox and it's pissing me off.

My cousin is running Windows 2000 (SP 4) on a Pentium 4, 1.7GHz with 512MB RAM. At first I thought the problem was just Windows Media Player, but it shows up on Winamp as well.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening or, even better, what I can do to fix it? Thanks!

Apr 5, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 13
check the sound card options for pitch control and/or make sure you have the sound card settings correct

you may be playing through another media control device without knowing it

Apr 5, 2004 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Rick: the sound card is very rudimentary and does not have pitch control as far as I can tell. The set-up there seems to be correct, though I'm not sure... I just went through "settings" and "sound".

Walli -- it doesn't sputter when it's just playing audio whether it's WMA, MP3, or WAV. There was consistent rebuffering when watching the ballgame but that's a different problem as far as I can tell, although if the already-buffered information is read too quickly that might have contributed.

Apr 5, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

There was consistent rebuffering when watching the ballgame but that's a different problem as far as I can tell, although if the already-buffered information is read too quickly that might have contributed.

sounds like you need more ram young man !

from here it sounds like you are running out of memory and the computer is using your hard drive as a swap file for the stream

not a good solution

RAM up !

wink.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 13
only thing i know that has pitch control is windvd .... if your watching movies through that make sure that pitch level is not set to chipmonk levels.... also try downloading a new soundcard driver or reinstalling the current driver and see that resets things... the guy has 512mb ... thats seems plenty 'nuff for the usual media ...divx etc....

Apr 5, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
sounds like you need more ram young man !

from here it sounds like you are running out of memory and the computer is using your hard drive as a swap file for the stream

not a good solution

RAM up !

wink.gif

Doesn't rebuffering just mean his internet connection is not fast enough?
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 5, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
confused.gif

true ... so the question is does it do it with media he''s downloaded ... mpeg, wmv, or avi divx files...

Apr 5, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 13
I used to have a problem when viewing video - the sound and video sputtered.

I found out that there was an IRQ conflict (actually, everything was on IRQ 10. Dang Windows).

I set the IRQs manually (in the bios) and reset the PCI table, rebooted, and MS Media Player ran smooth as silk.

Make sure every device that needs it has DMA enabled.

If it is memory you may have to turn off sound hardware acceleratiion and perhaps change the sound quality lower.

Apr 6, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

yes but the speed up/slow down is something i have never experienced with a simple full buffer ,though i guess it is possible

i have had swap file problems of varying degrees in the past though

Apr 6, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 13
Thanks again for the responses, everyone.

I'm pretty sure the computer is fast enough and the RAM is sufficient as this is the only stream RedSox.com has available for online viewers and I don't think they can expect every Sox fan to have more than 512MBs of RAM.

I also don't think this is a memory issue as everything has sped up. I don't see how a lack of memory could result in higher pitch and acceleration of audio.

Walli, I'd like to try what you suggest but really don't know how.
wink.gif
I'll ask my cousin if he can do that as he works with computers just a tad more than I do.

For some reason I think the problem may be related to my upgrading WMP a month or two ago -- as I recall, though not absolutely firmly, the audio might have been normal before the update.

Is that possible? If so, would uninstalling WMP and reinstalling an older version possibly fix the problem?

Apr 6, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 13

if its media player 9 --- i got this from a forum

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1010069240

re: Uninstall Windows Media Player 9 Series
Monday, July 14, 2003 at 5:03 am
Posted by leon (1 messages posted)
I just ran this one from 'run' in the start menu (remove the ''): 'RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\wmp.inf,Uninstall' No fuss, no worries, you get a nice prompt 'Do you really want to uninstall windows XP wmp9?', the HDD makes a fuss, you'll be asked to reboot...and gone is the s*ker! I just did it myself, and it works as a shine!

hmm.... not sure if its valid for 2kPro .. lot of useful info in that thread...

-Sergio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back