Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Jan 31, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #181 of 3,718
That was many years after Mahler's death and his music had fallen out of taste pretty much everywhere, not just in Vienna. I certainly give Bernstein credit for reviving the music of Mahler, but with the exception of the first symphony I am not a big fan of his interpretations.

Jan 31, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #182 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by Otakuboy
That was many years after Mahler's death and his music had fallen out of taste pretty much everywhere, not just in Vienna. I certainly give Bernstein credit for reviving the music of Mahler, but with the exception of the first symphony I am not a big fan of his interpretations.

So the question now is, who DO you like
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Jan 31, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #183 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by AndreYew

There's a good, midpriced Telarc recording of Ruckert, KTL, and LefG that's a nice starting point with Jesus Lopez-Cobos conducting the Cincinnati Symphony, and Andreas Schmidt as the bass-baritone.

I think I may hunt dow this and Szell's 4th today, the Szell seems to be such a universal recommendation, I just have to give it a try, espeically at that price-point.

Scott

Feb 3, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #186 of 3,718
Not yet, my CD hunt this weekend was a bust, couldn't find ANYTHING I was looking for
frown.gif

Feb 3, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #187 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
So the question now is, who DO you like
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Maazel conducting Vienna are my consistent favorites, albiet I do perfer some other interpretations on #1 and #6

Feb 3, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #188 of 3,718
Quote:

Maazel conducting Vienna are my consistent favorites, albiet I do perfer some other interpretations on #1 and #6

Interesting, I've always preferred Maazel's 6th over his 5th. I just don't think he brought the joy that the 5th needs in the last movement. The 6th to me seemed to fit his style more.

But, it's been years since I've listened to either. I have them on a 3-lp box set from CBS Masterworks. Unfortunately, I probably didn't take care of them as well as I should have.

But overall, I just haven't heard many bad peformances of either the 5th or the 6th.. ok, the Levi 5th on Telarc just doesn't have much fire. One classic 5th that I love and need to give another spin is Erich Leinsdorf conducting the Boston Symphony. Great old RCA recording that sounds amazing for its time.

-jar

Feb 4, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #189 of 3,718
The main reason why I love Mahler 5 by Maazel is at Rehearsal 27 in the second movment. He is the only conductor who gives that moment the proper drama that it deserves. After all that part was Mahler's tribute to Bruckner, one of his favorite composers and largest influences.

Feb 4, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #190 of 3,718
Quote:

The main reason why I love Mahler 5 by Maazel is at Rehearsal 27 in the second movment. He is the only conductor who gives that moment the proper drama that it deserves. After all that part was Mahler's tribute to Bruckner, one of his favorite composers and largest influences.

Very interesting.. when I was younger I used to follow along with the scores all the time.. it's been over a decade since I've done that.. I'll have to give Maazel's 5th another listen. Thanks! I'll have to listen for that Bruckner "tribute" section too..

-jar

Feb 4, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #191 of 3,718
Quote:

please name some names.................would like to see some specific CDs mentioned for 1 & 6 so the discussion can be advanced, especially if you can compare to other widely known versions.

I've always wanted to get Maazel/Sony 4th since I especially like Kathleen Battle, but have so many versions already do I need another.......he he.
cool.gif

Feb 4, 2004 at 3:58 PM Post #193 of 3,718
i have the 6th by rattle and i can testify to it's fantastic recorded quality.

i cannot say much else abt the actual playing, mainly cos this is the only 6th i've heard.

i also like bernstein's 1st, but unfortunately, all i can say for it is the same as for rattle's 6th.

Feb 4, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #194 of 3,718
Scott
I had thought that all old CBS label albums were now being sold under Sony label ........... perhaps I was mistaken???

When mentioning KARAJAN and Mahler thoughts always turn to Mahler 9, but Karajan has a very nice Maher 5 & 6 with excellent sound to boot. The Karajan/DG Originals Mahler 6 is a 2CD set which makes it less attractive price wise, but at least it is mid price release.....really like this.
Karajan

Best value for Mahler 6 (like Mahler 4) has to be super buget Szell/Sony 1CD version.
Szell

Also the Wit/Naxos 2CD Mahler 6 is surprisingly good, competes with full price versions:
Wit

Would really like to hear the Rattle/EMI Mahler 6 also since many in this series are very good but.............full price 2CDs
frown.gif

Feb 5, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #195 of 3,718
Originally posted by DarkAngel
please name some names.................would like to see some specific CDs mentioned for 1 & 6 so the discussion can be advanced, especially if you can compare to other widely known versions.

As far as the 1st goes I love the Bernstein recording in Vienna. It was the recording that came in the Bernstein boxed set.

The Maazel and Bernstein recordings of 6 are the only two that I have heard and I did not like either of them. I've heard it a couple times live and was impressed, but unfortunatly I do not have the program anymore and I can't remember the conductor.

My main area of expertise is Mahler 5 as I am writting my masters thesis about it currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back