Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Sep 9, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #3,526 of 3,718
Gah, I totally forgot I had the Reiner as well, now I need to FIND it. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #3,527 of 3,718
I have never really listened to Mahler...any good first recs?

For symphonies, I usually listen to Beethoven, Mozart, Dvorak, and some Brahms.

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #3,528 of 3,718
The first Mahler I listened to was the 5th, then 2nd. I really like the 9th and 10th as well.

Not really as well versed in Mahler as most in this long thread, but I find Mahler's 5th easier to get into, at least it is shorter than many
smily_headphones1.gif

I would read thru the entire thread (if you haven't already) - it is very informative and I made some purchases too based on insight here.

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #3,530 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first Mahler I listened to was the 5th, then 2nd. I really like the 9th and 10th as well.

Not really as well versed in Mahler as most in this long thread, but I find Mahler's 5th easier to get into, at least it is shorter than many
smily_headphones1.gif

I would read thru the entire thread (if you haven't already) - it is very informative and I made some purchases too based on insight here.

Anything dark and vehement?

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #3,531 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything dark and vehement?

I'll stick my neck out and say the 6th.

Scott

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #3,532 of 3,718
Yes, the 6th. But you have to have an over-the-top version. Bernstein will do nicely. But the new BBC release with Tennstedt is even more. Probably the most intense version I've ever heard, even more than Mitropolous.

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #3,535 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the 6th. But you have to have an over-the-top version. Bernstein will do nicely. But the new BBC release with Tennstedt is even more. Probably the most intense version I've ever heard, even more than Mitropolous.

Sounds like Beethoven...very nice

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #3,536 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Symphonic Masterpieces

I wonder if this is the Mengelberg M4 I am looking for.

There is only one surviving recording of a Mengelberg M4 (from the 1930s). Itg has been reissued on many labels. So, yes, this is it, but I can't vouch for the quality of the transfer from 78s.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #3,537 of 3,718
Quote:

Bought Bernstein's 6th (80s DG recording) but have not gotten to liking it as much as 2nd, 5th, 9th and 10th. Maybe need more time with the work.

I think you are ready to buy your 1st (and probably not last) complete Mahler set, you have tried a few symphonies and want to explore further, much cheaper to now get a boxset. I would recommend Bertini/EMI or Bernstein Sony to start.........Amazon sellers new/used is great place to buy

51HAQ5TPK1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51tKWrrM7PL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #3,538 of 3,718
Quote:

Bought Bernstein's 6th (80s DG recording) but have not gotten to liking it as much as 2nd, 5th, 9th and 10th. Maybe need more time with the work.

Indeed, Mahler may be one of the composers (Bruckner, for sure, is another one) whose works take the longest time to "sink in". From my own part, I have found that my appreciation and love for a symphony correlates strongly to the amount of time I have dedicated to that particular symphony. I have never really understood M7 or M8, probably due to the fact that I have listened to them the least (I am not sure I will ever understand the M8, though
beyersmile.png
). Give M6 time and you will be rewarded (your Bernstein/DG is great, by the way)!

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #3,539 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, Mahler may be one of the composers (Bruckner, for sure, is another one) whose works take the longest time to "sink in". From my own part, I have found that my appreciation and love for a symphony correlates strongly to the amount of time I have dedicated to that particular symphony. I have never really understood M7 or M8, probably due to the fact that I have listened to them the least (I am not sure I will ever understand the M8, though
beyersmile.png
). Give M6 time and you will be rewarded (your Bernstein/DG is great, by the way)!

Yes. That's how I see it too. Unlike say Beethoven, which I liked pretty much the first time I heard it (the odd numbered symphonies anyway), Mahler takes more effort and concentration. Find Bruckner slightly easier ... maybe requiring less effort / concentration than Mahler.

My introduction to Mahler was around 1985 when my father bought a copy of Rattle's critically acclaimed 2nd (on EMI double CD). Then he bought the 8th by Tennstedt and the 5th with Sinopoli (DG). I liked 2nd and 5th more
smily_headphones1.gif
He also had 1st by Inbal on Denon, but somehow that one never sunk in.

At college I had a dear friend who introduced me to alot of music including more Mahler, Wagner, among many other "obscure" composers. He introduced me to the 10th (Rattle, the studio recording not the live one) which I find quite glorious and the 9th (Karajan's live recording on DG).

For many years, I made no more purchases till a few years ago when my interest in classical music was revived - a large part due to the music forum at Head-Fi and this thread in particular. I bought a few more - namely Klemperer's 2nd (which I prefer to Rattle's), Bruno Walter's 4th, a DG box set covering 5th-7th by Bernstein. Also have some rips from my Dad including 5th by Sir John Barbirolli (Dad prefers this to Sinopoli, it is the other way round for me) and 7th by Abbado.

I need to digest the music
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #3,540 of 3,718
I am on a Mahler Songs kick, specifically the Rückert-Lieder. I have a few on hand, Barbirolli/Baker, Walter/Ferrier, Boulez /Urmana. I don't have any sung by men however. Any thoughts there?

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back