Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Sep 15, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #3,541 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am on a Mahler Songs kick, specifically the Rückert-Lieder. I have a few on hand, Barbirolli/Baker, Walter/Ferrier, Boulez /Urmana. I don't have any sung by men however. Any thoughts there?

Scott

I really like Fischer-Dieskau/Boehm, Berlin (which is available only via Arkivmusic right now). I don't like Hampson's crooning (with Bernstein on a DVD--I haven't heard his piano-accompanied version). There are a few other men who have recorded these (see Gustav Mahler: Discographie des Rückert Lieder for a complete list), but I haven't heard them.

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #3,542 of 3,718
F-D is really hard to beat. He understands the nuances in the music and text better than anyone probably. His sound is so natural, smooth and flawless. I do have the Hampson's, and they're not terrible, but seem affected at times. Herman Prey is very good, too. But still, if I could only have one male singer in Mahler it's F-D no question.

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #3,543 of 3,718
Looking around, is it me or are their only 4 of the 5 Ruckert songs on that disc?

Sep 24, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #3,544 of 3,718
On what disk? On the F-D with Bohm, there are four Ruckert Lieder. However, there are five, and Janet Baker on EMI does five with Barbirolli. Of course, the Kindertotenlieder texts were by Ruckert, and it can get confusing.

Sep 24, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #3,545 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On what disk? On the F-D with Bohm, there are four Ruckert Lieder. However, there are five, and Janet Baker on EMI does five with Barbirolli. Of course, the Kindertotenlieder texts were by Ruckert, and it can get confusing.

Yes, the F-D with Bohm, not a big deal just wanted to make sure that was right, was looking at the track listings for it and happened to notice.

I was mistken, I actually do have the Hampson/Bernstein disc, don't know how it didn't end up among the disc I have ripped, but now it is. Whenever I think of Hampson I think of "What the Universe Tells Me" and the mildly goofy faces he makes while singing.

Scott

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #3,546 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whenever I think of Hampson I think of "What the Universe Tells Me" and the mildly goofy faces he makes while singing.

Scott

That dvd is really very good. It's well put together and the commentators all have something meaningful to say. But I know exactly what you're saying about Hampson's goofy face while he sings. It's embarrassing to watch! I find most lieder singers goofy to watch and I avoid looking at them. I know they do it to get the right sound and inflections, but still...

Oct 3, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #3,547 of 3,718
I hope someone is still out there who cares about this thread; it sure has been quiet lately.

Several years ago I picked up the Zinman Mahler 1 and wasn't overly excited. It wasn't bad at all, just that it didn't bring any new insights and was certainly not as thrilling as the top contenders. Then came symphonies 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. They got decent reviews, sometimes very good ones. I recall M3 was very well received. Well, yesterday I opened the mail and there was Zinman's M7. Being a collector of every 7th I can get my hands on I just had to hear it. And it's wonderful! The orchestra plays superbly, the conductor pays attention to every marking in the score and he gets the big picture. The beauty of the score has rarely been so well conveyed. The performance isn't over-the-top like any of Bernsteins, it's not taken so serious as to lose the humor like Chailly, Masur, Klemperer, and too many others. What Zinman does is respect the score, play it flawlessly and keep it moving. Like Maazel, he lets the music speak for itself without any self-indulgent interpretive screwups. This may not be my favorite M7, that's reserved for Kondrashin, Tilson Thomas, Solti, and Bertini. But it's highly enjoyable and the recorded sound is nothing less that superb sacd. I'm rethinking the Zinman traversal, and may have to get some of the ones I missed to see if the whole set would be worthwhile. Or, I could wait a few years and get it on a budget reissue for half price!

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #3,548 of 3,718
Quote:

I hope someone is still out there who cares about this thread; it sure has been quiet lately.

Several years ago I picked up the Zinman Mahler 1 and wasn't overly excited. It wasn't bad at all, just that it didn't bring any new insights and was certainly not as thrilling as the top contenders.

I've heard several of the Zinman set, and I wasn't a fan. They were professional and emotionally felt, but I didn't get anything new out of them. The sound was a little diffuse in multichannel SACD. Also, his string players aren't the best--just compare the opening of the M4 slow movement with, for example, Szell/Cleveland.

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #3,550 of 3,718
Quote:

Several years ago I picked up the Zinman Mahler 1 and wasn't overly excited. It wasn't bad at all, just that it didn't bring any new insights and was certainly not as thrilling as the top contenders. Then came symphonies 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. They got decent reviews, sometimes very good ones. I recall M3 was very well received. Well, yesterday I opened the mail and there was Zinman's M7. Being a collector of every 7th I can get my hands on I just had to hear it. And it's wonderful! The orchestra plays superbly, the conductor pays attention to every marking in the score and he gets the big picture. The beauty of the score has rarely been so well conveyed. The performance isn't over-the-top like any of Bernsteins, it's not taken so serious as to lose the humor like Chailly, Masur, Klemperer, and too many others. What Zinman does is respect the score, play it flawlessly and keep it moving. Like Maazel, he lets the music speak for itself without any self-indulgent interpretive screwups. This may not be my favorite M7, that's reserved for Kondrashin, Tilson Thomas, Solti, and Bertini. But it's highly enjoyable and the recorded sound is nothing less that superb sacd. I'm rethinking the Zinman traversal, and may have to get some of the ones I missed to see if the whole set would be worthwhile. Or, I could wait a few years and get it on a budget reissue for half price!

I agree entirely. They're not all great, but when Zinman's on the money it's fantastic and the SACD is awesome. I don't agree with pbarach's comment about the strings. The Tonhalle Orchestra has superb strings. Sure, you can say in this place here it doesn't sound as good as that recording there but overall they can hold their own against anyone. Their Beethoven set has some of the best string playing I've heard in that rep.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #3,551 of 3,718
Received the F-D Bohm, all I can say is wow, this sits alongside the Baker/Barbirolli as one my favorite Mahler song CDs. Thanks!

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #3,552 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't agree with pbarach's comment about the strings. The Tonhalle Orchestra has superb strings. Sure, you can say in this place here it doesn't sound as good as that recording there but overall they can hold their own against anyone. Their Beethoven set has some of the best string playing I've heard in that rep.

Let me qualify my statement: The Tonhalle has a highly musical string section. And they play in tune, too. I really like the Beethoven set, and I am a fan of the multi-disc Richard Strauss set as well (which also highlights their excellent first-desk players in many respects). But I don't think they have the consistent unanimity of attack or richness of sound that you find from Cleveland under just about any conductor (beginning in the Szell days), or from the Concertgebouw.

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #3,553 of 3,718
Looks like Testament has a 'new' Barbirolli M6.

Testament Records | SBT1451 / Sir John Barbirolli conducts Mahler 6

Symphony No.6 in A minor

1. I-Allegro energico, ma non troppo. Heftif, aber markig (19.08)
2. II- Andante moderato (14.00)
3. III- Scherzo (Wuchtig) (12.08)
4. IV- Finale: Allegro Moderato (29.23)

Total Running Time 74.42

New Philharmonia Orchestra
Conducted by Sir John Barbarolli

BBC Broadcast 16th August 1967, Royal Albert Hall, London.

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #3,554 of 3,718
Going to see the M4 done by Levine/BSO in February, can't wait. Been too long since I have seen live Mahler.

Scott

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #3,555 of 3,718
Is he going to be able to do it? I've read that he's missed a lot of dates lately due to poor health. I sure wish someone, even the BSO itself, would have Levine record some Mahler (preferably all of it) in sacd soon. His Mahler on RCA 30 years ago was marvelous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back