Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Jun 4, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #3,331 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Facade19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me Boulez's reading of the 6th, especially in the opening movement is rather slow and sucks out all the drama and dynamics. Compared to my favorite recording of the 6th (Bernstein/VPO), Boulez just does not get the melodrama out of the score.

I for one love Boulez's 6th. His reading is rather straight forward and deliberate, but these are qualities I appreciate in a conductor.

Jun 4, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #3,332 of 3,718
Quote:

To me Boulez's reading of the 6th, especially in the opening movement is rather slow and sucks out all the drama and dynamics. Compared to my favorite recording of the 6th (Bernstein/VPO), Boulez just does not get the melodrama out of the score. Maybe he might be a straight-shooter, but the theatrics of Bernstein just make the 6th so much tragic. I cannot comment on another of Boulez's recording of Mahler, since the 6th is the only I have. BTW I finally got a chance to listen to my Barenboim 7th. WOW, just wow. The strings in the first movement alone are a revelation. The texture are clearer in Barenboim's compared to, for instance Abbado. I think while the 7th seems to be the least liked of Mahler's symphonies, it has achieved tremendous recordings (Gielen, Bernstein, Chailly, Thomas, Bertini and etc.).

Well, I prefer to say, as I listen to more and more Boulez records, that he has an economy of emotion. That is to say that Boulez' accounts, particularly of the symphonies where a more overt demonstration of emotion is expected, are devoid of emotion - it's still there - just in a very clear-eyed way. Let me put it like this: Boulez' approach makes up for a dearth of apparently dramatic gestures for a more restrained drama. It's internal vs. external, to put it in simpler terms.

Jun 4, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #3,333 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the cycle; I don't think any of the recordings are mediocre, but there are definite high points and some low points. Relatively speaking, of course.

Personally, I especially like his 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th.
Then, I must say, it just happens his approach WORKS with me, I feel he does it RIGHT. I guess you could call me a Boulez fan - at least I have been for a while. I just do not seem to get tired of him I also like his Bruckner 8, all the Bartok he conducted and Stravinsky.
I do not believe in ranking lists. Tastes differ among people, diefferent moods of same person etc.
Other Conductors I know and like: Kubelik 1, Abbado 2,3; Karajan 6; Walter 9, Inbahl 1,2 and 6; Gielen 7!, Haitink 5,6 (the latest).

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #3,334 of 3,718
6RS
I think you would really like the Bertini/EMI set, especially if you like Inbal.
I find them to have a similar clear elegant style that is very refreshing and the sound quality for Bertini is quite good.

Also I think Boulez fans would be sympathetic to Bertini's Mahler.

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #3,335 of 3,718
Bertini is more classical, but he still has plenty of fire in the belly. Inbal is a bit too mellow for my tastes.

Jun 4, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #3,337 of 3,718
6RS, another cycle to try if you can get it at reasonable price is the Gielen which is extremely well done with few weaknesses. I've been listening to that one more and more this year. The cycle is available at Amazon downloads, which are drm free but only offer 256 kbps mp3. It's also available from itunes (possibly itunes plus) in the slightly superior aac format.

Gielen's cycle compares very well to Bertini. As with Bertini, it's not one of the uber emotional style cycles, but is darker than the Bertini.

Jun 5, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #3,339 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6RS, another cycle to try if you can get it at reasonable price is the Gielen which is extremely well done with few weaknesses. I've been listening to that one more and more this year. The cycle is available at Amazon downloads, which are drm free but only offer 256 kbps mp3. It's also available from itunes (possibly itunes plus) in the slightly superior aac format.

Gielen's cycle compares very well to Bertini. As with Bertini, it's not one of the uber emotional style cycles, but is darker than the Bertini.

Gielen's cycle is fantastic (from what I have heard), but so pricey. One day I might afford it.

Jun 5, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #3,340 of 3,718
Quote:

Gielen's cycle is fantastic (from what I have heard), but so pricey. One day I might afford it.

amazon.de, surprisingly, is cheaper than amazon.com:
58 Euro for the whole cycle versus 122$. Of course shipping may eat some of the price advantage, but I bet it is still considerably cheaper.

Jun 6, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #3,341 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6RS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
58 Euro for the whole cycle versus 122$. Of course shipping may eat some of the price advantage, but I bet it is still considerably cheaper.

I would love to get it, but before I spend more money on a Mahler cycle, I would rather get more Shostakovich recordings (have the Barshai, Jansons and Jarvi cycles in mind). Though I can still dream of getting all at the same time.
frown.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #3,342 of 3,718
Quote:

Ouch! The last time I checked, €58 was $ 91.00 (at €1=$1.57) and the Amazon S&H was €14.00 ($22) for a total of €72.00 ($113) -- only marginally cheaper than the partners. The German postal rates may be the most expensive in the EC, especially for parcels which are handled by DHL.

A better option might be to wait until there's a cheaper used set to buy at Amazon France where the postal rates are much more reasonable.

Finally, rather than buying the box set, you can look for the standout individual symphonies and get them individually (M1, M3, M5, M6, M7). That way, you get the best of them paired with some very interesting music by other composers.

Jun 6, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #3,343 of 3,718
Once I got some more money (besides going on DSCH spending spree) I am going to get Gielen's recording of the 2nd and 7th, Barenboim's 9th, Chailly's 9th, Reiner's 4th and Klemperer's DLVDE). Just have to be patient.
frown.gif

Jun 7, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #3,345 of 3,718
Quote:

Are 2, 4, 7 and 9 your favorite Mahler symphonies?

With Mahler it is nearly impossible to state which symphonies are your favorites: they all are just beyond words (though his 5th is my favorite symphony in the entire repertoire). No the reason why I am pressing for these particular ones is, because I wish to explore them more. I have quite enough recordings of the 5th (7 I believe), as well as for the 1st and 6th. I have three terrific recordings of the 8th (at least I think so-Bertini, Tennstedt and Solti). I might have forgotten about the 3rd (have only three performances, Lopez-Cobos, Chailly and Bertini), so the Bernstein (on Sony) might be an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back