Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Apr 14, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #3,316 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think there's an explanation, but one that makes some people uncomfortable: he was gay, and not too shy about it. But in the 50's, that was just unacceptable in WASP America. Bernstein hid it carefully. The other thing working against DM was that he died too early, and didn't leave enough of a stereo legacy.

There's more than a little truth to that. Of course, one might think that there would be some sort of resurrection of what works he did record after the sort of prudish conspiracy of silence types joined the choir eternal. There are a handful of works modern recordings of which still have to measure up to his mark.

Quote:

There were many superb conductors before stereo, but modern listeners don't want mono and won't buy it. Those of us who are more interested in music than sound can listen through the older mono sound. The likes of Mitropoulos, Rodzinski, Furtwangler, E. Kleiber, and many others will be forgotten in not too many more years as fewer and fewer music lovers are interested in ancient sound. Who wants to put dim, distorted mono on their iPod?

In a way, though you're completely right, that sort of spares Mahler and many conductors who were deeply involved in his work, since his resurgence coincides nicely with the stereo age (at least the biggest part of his adoption into the canon). Except for stuff like Fried's M2, even the mono stuff was of an age that guaranteed it a decent reproduction.

Quote:

As to the Mitropoulos Schmidt Das Buch, yes that is a searing reading. Someday, I'm sure it will reappear. I have the Sony version and the Melodram. The former sounds better. But then there's a new one, on Chandos, that is simply a knockout. Sacd surrround sound and all. Very powerful reading, and in my mind blows all the competitors out of the water. It's what Welser-Most's should have been. Harnoncourt is no match. It's hard to believe that this work is so obscure in the US, yet there are now NINE CD versions.

Ah, the Järvi set. After scraping the soil to get the Fabio Luisi/MDR recording from 2004, Chandos drops one in my lap. The choral work on this one is really splendid, especially in the big moments (e.g., the opening of the first seal). The recording on that one is, indeed, really splendid. While I am still deciding whether or not I like some of Järvi's decisions, I think this record has a solid shot at being the new reference set.

Still, the work is unjustly neglected. Nine recordings against the legions of, say, a Shostakovich symphony? Come on. Vox populi..., I suppose. What makes it weirder is that it seems to have gained currency in German-speaking areas in a way that would almost imply equal success here.

It's a shame, too, since Schmidt was a rough contemporary of Mahler - the latter's favored cellist at the Hofoper, even - and they operated with the same influences, but drew different conclusions.

Apr 14, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #3,317 of 3,718
Another Mahler set in the works according to Classics Today: Gergiev/LSO
Gergiev

We can only hope it will be more inspiring than Gergiev's recent Prokofiev set, which while good does not come close to replacing Jarvi/Chandos. Too bad he hasn't finished a complete set for his Shostakovich and Tchaikovsky recordings for Phillips, these showed some great promise.

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #3,318 of 3,718
Yes, I have hopes for the Gergiev/LSO Mahler set, and if D Hurwitz can be trusted, the 6th is sure a winner. Has anyone heard of a timeline on this project? I don't want to wait as long as it took for a whole Boulez set again.

Apr 15, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #3,319 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I have hopes for the Gergiev/LSO Mahler set, and if D Hurwitz can be trusted, the 6th is sure a winner. Has anyone heard of a timeline on this project? I don't want to wait as long as it took for a whole Boulez set again.

According to information on the website of UK online retailer prestoclassical.co.uk, the first four releases will take place in 2008 with the rest to follow in 2009. That's fairly swift, if you ask me! For a teaser of the Gergiev M6 and some of the maestro's thoughts on Mahler, check out the video on prestoclassical's website (Presto News - Rattle and Gergiev on Mahler).

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #3,320 of 3,718
Now here's something to plan for...
Many of us on this thread have raved about the Barenboim M7. Well, on May 13, 2009, you can hear it for yourself, live, in New York. What a wonderful town! I hope it's not too hot of a ticket -- I want to be there for that one.

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #3,321 of 3,718
Carnegie is presenting the entire Mahler cycle next season - I believe split between Barenboim and Boulez. You can buy a subscription to the cycle.

Sounds very promising indeed....

-Jay

Jun 2, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #3,323 of 3,718
41FXER6BTXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

OMG.......I must find some way to have this in CD version!
The 1970's Bernstein Mahler cycle DVDs! This 2 DVD set has symphonies 1,2,3...........symphony 2 features LSO, Ely cathedral and Christa Ludwig

Surely this 1970's complete set will be released in CD format someday........till then we have the DVD set

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #3,324 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG.......I must find some way to have this in CD version!
The 1970's Bernstein Mahler cycle DVDs! This 2 DVD set has symphonies 1,2,3...........symphony 2 features LSO, Ely cathedral and Christa Ludwig

Surely this 1970's complete set will be released in CD format someday........till then we have the DVD set

Make your own from the DVD.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #3,325 of 3,718
Favorite conductors:
Symphony 1-10: Pierre Boulez, hands down.

Das Lied von der Erde:
- Klemperer/Ludwig/Wunderlich (especially Wunderlich)
- Walter/Ferrier/Patzack (especially der Abschied: Ferrier)
- Boulez/Urmana/Schade (Urmana!!! I could marry her just based on her voice)

Sonics is important: A good recording is certainly more enjoyable than a mudded mono. Or in other words: sonic transports the music, the better it is the higher the potential enjoyment of music. Of course, a magic mono may still be preferable to an aseptic and un-inspired super-recording.

One comment about the common criticism about Boulez being unemotional. This is a misunderstanding. I expect the conductor to deliver the music - not the emotions: I will feel the emotions. Boulez's interpretations give me the freedom I need to experience rich and varying (even from one listening to another) emotions. BTW, he is never analytical of fast by principle (Rattle) but follows the inherent structure of the music. I do not need pre-digested emotions by the conductor (Soltis 5th is awful in this respect, I also dislike Bruno Walter, sometimes I am tempted by Karajan's 6th).

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #3,326 of 3,718
6RS
You are right on with your top DLVDE pick..........Klemperer!

The Boulez set for me seems to be a bit uneven with some highs and lows, but in general a very good set and well worth collecting. Hard to be super consistent when set is collected over long period of time with different orchestras.
PS really likes the Boulez set as I recall......

Now what about a top 5 list, your top 5 picks for each symphony?
(for discussion purposes)

Jun 3, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #3,327 of 3,718
Quote:

6RS
Now what about a top 5 list, your top 5 picks for each symphony?
(for discussion purposes)

DarkAngel
Now that is quite some homework
wink.gif

Give me some time, and I'll come up with commented list.
At least of 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7. I do not know the others (3,8,9,10) that well.
CU, Bruno

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #3,328 of 3,718
Quote:

6RS
You are right on with your top DLVDE pick..........Klemperer!

The Boulez set for me seems to be a bit uneven with some highs and lows, but in general a very good set and well worth collecting. Hard to be super consistent when set is collected over long period of time with different orchestras.
PS really likes the Boulez set as I recall......

You recall correctly. Really, I would say that - like with any complete cycle - there are weak points and strong points. For Boulez, I'd say that he manages to turn in very compelling readings of the 3rd, 6th, 7th, and 9th; and, even where he isn't at his strongest, his performances are still interesting and worth consideration. I am tempted to say that his M8 is among the high points of the cycle, but I still haven't quite made up my mind on it (I think Boulez is hitting on all cylinders for the second half, but the first half doesn't strike me the right way). I will reiterate my belief that his M2 is the odd man out of the cycle. If one is a Boulez fan or a completist, then it's worth it; otherwise, it might not be worth the trouble.

I like the cycle; I don't think any of the recordings are mediocre, but there are definite high points and some low points. Relatively speaking, of course.

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #3,329 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You recall correctly. Really, I would say that - like with any complete cycle - there are weak points and strong points. For Boulez, I'd say that he manages to turn in very compelling readings of the 3rd, 6th, 7th, and 9th; and, even where he isn't at his strongest, his performances are still interesting and worth consideration. I am tempted to say that his M8 is among the high points of the cycle, but I still haven't quite made up my mind on it (I think Boulez is hitting on all cylinders for the second half, but the first half doesn't strike me the right way). I will reiterate my belief that his M2 is the odd man out of the cycle. If one is a Boulez fan or a completist, then it's worth it; otherwise, it might not be worth the trouble.

I like the cycle; I don't think any of the recordings are mediocre, but there are definite high points and some low points. Relatively speaking, of course.

To me Boulez's reading of the 6th, especially in the opening movement is rather slow and sucks out all the drama and dynamics. Compared to my favorite recording of the 6th (Bernstein/VPO), Boulez just does not get the melodrama out of the score. Maybe he might be a straight-shooter, but the theatrics of Bernstein just make the 6th so much tragic. I cannot comment on another of Boulez's recording of Mahler, since the 6th is the only I have. BTW I finally got a chance to listen to my Barenboim 7th. WOW, just wow. The strings in the first movement alone are a revelation. The texture are clearer in Barenboim's compared to, for instance Abbado. I think while the 7th seems to be the least liked of Mahler's symphonies, it has achieved tremendous recordings (Gielen, Bernstein, Chailly, Thomas, Bertini and etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back