Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Dec 19, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #1,621 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
EMI plans to release the complete Bertini Mahler cycle in a "budget" box set on Jan. 10, 2006. Anyone know anything about Bertini's recordings?

B000BQ7BX2.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Hate to plug another forum, but there is an ongoing comnversation on the Mahler Forum:

http://www.klassi.org/mahler/viewtopic.php?t=972

Scott

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #1,622 of 3,718
Scott,

I have actually already ordered the Bertini as it is immediately available for a bit less at amazon canada. I have high hopes of this.
smily_headphones1.gif

On another note, I have the Barshai Mahler 5 on my "sound system" and the postman just came to the door with my long desired Rousset Goldbergs (re-released by Decca in Australia). He got so excited as he also is a Mahler freak and immediately said, "The Barshai Mahler, I love it..." I almost kissed him (no, not really) I was so amazed and gratified.

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #1,623 of 3,718
Quote:

Scott,

I have actually already ordered the Bertini as it is immediately available for a bit less at amazon canada. I have high hopes of this.
smily_headphones1.gif

We expect a full report of course, on scanning forums and mailing lists, the M3 from that set looks to be a good place to start.

Quote:

On another note, I have the Barshai Mahler 5 on my "sound system" and the postman just came to the door with my long desired Rousset Goldbergs (re-released by Decca in Australia). He got so excited as he also is a Mahler freak and immediately said, "The Barshai Mahler, I love it..." I almost kissed him (no, not really) I was so amazed and gratified.

Yes, quite rare to run into someone who can pick up on that
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Dec 19, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #1,624 of 3,718
On another note, Brilliant Classics seems to have withdrawn it's Mahler set that included the Horenstein 3rd in favor of the Inbal cycle. I haven't really heard anything of note about the Inbal, and would appreciate any opinions or information about that.

Dec 19, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #1,625 of 3,718
Quote:

On another note, Brilliant Classics seems to have withdrawn it's Mahler set that included the Horenstein 3rd in favor of the Inbal cycle. I haven't really heard anything of note about the Inbal, and would appreciate any opinions or information about that.

Arkivmusic still has it in stock. I have yet to hear the Horenstein 3rd, though I am so pleased with the Chailly I haven't felt much reason to serach further as far as the 3rd goes.

Scott

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #1,626 of 3,718
Don't bother with Inbal. Good sound, very mediocre performances.

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #1,627 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Arkivmusic still has it in stock. I have yet to hear the Horenstein 3rd, though I am so pleased with the Chailly I haven't felt much reason to serach further as far as the 3rd goes.

Scott

If you can get the older Brilliant Classics set for around $30 to $35, then get it. The Horenstein 3rd goes for about the same alone, and the set has one or two other recordings of interest. And the Horenstein 3rd is worth the money alone, it is excellent, a great companion to the Chailly SACD.

Dec 19, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #1,628 of 3,718
Quote:

If you can get the older Brilliant Classics set for around $30 to $35, then get it. The Horenstein 3rd goes for about the same alone, and the set has one or two other recordings of interest. And the Horenstein 3rd is worth the money alone, it is excellent, a great companion to the Chailly SACD.

Who woulda thunk it: The 3rd has more SACD recordings than just about anything! Just off the top of my head I can list:

Chailly
Zander
MTT
Boulez

...and there are probably more.

Dec 19, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #1,630 of 3,718
I've got the 3rd and 6th from the Bertini Cycle.

The playing is good but not great. However he creates a great atmosphere for this music and he was a true musician. I'll definitely buy the set when it comes out.

Dec 19, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #1,631 of 3,718
Interesting, may have to add Bertini to my growing amazon wish list (I find it a great way to keep track of things I want).

Dec 20, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #1,632 of 3,718
I found the Barsahi 5th to be ok, no more. It sure had a lot of hype surrounding it, like it's the greatest 5th ever. No way. Gatti, Sinopoli, Barbirolli and others are all better.

What's more interesting in the Barshai is it has yet another completion of the 10th, this time by Barshai. Interesting, but it won't displace Cooke II.

Dec 20, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #1,633 of 3,718
I was really surprised by the Barshai 5th. I think it is very fine and a lot better than many I have heard. Those young musicians really played their hearts out for Barshai and it has a tension and intensity that a lot of other performances lack. I think that the Gatti is probably my favorite (and it's really hard for me to say something like that -- I'm notoriously indecisive) but I also think the Barshai stands up very well against the Bernstein (sony) and even the dg, especially when you consider that these were student musicians not seasoned pros. I haven't bothered to do more than give a cursory listen to the Barshai 10th. I like the Rattle much better. (Wow, two incidences of my going against type-- naming a favorite and liking Rattle -- what is the world coming to?)

Dec 20, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #1,635 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Norrington - Mahler?????
I see where yourmusic.com just stocked the Norrington M1, anyone going to take a flyer for $6? I put it in the cart but not sure it will stay there
k1000smile.gif

162671.jpg

Thanks DA.

Related note: I hope all the YourMusic subscribers will feel free to post new additions - I just don't get over there to check on my queue often enough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back