Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Nov 24, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #1,591 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Tyson,

$33? That is a no brainer. I wish I knew where you found it for that price!

The 3 & 9 alone are worth the price of admission. As others have said the 2nd is "meh".

Nov 24, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #1,592 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
What's the impressions for the Chially Mahler recordings? I have a chance to pick up all of them for $33 and wanted to see if it was worth my time.

Look at it this way, even if you don't like them you could sell the set for more than $33 used on Amazon so nothing to loose really.

This Mahler set has been evolving project over long period, the 7th was recorded in 1995 so set can be seen as a chronicle of Chailly's journey in understanding Mahler over period of 10 years.......for the record I own no Chailly and have no plans to in the future.

Nov 26, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #1,593 of 3,718
Does anyone here own or has anyone heard the New York Philharmonic Mahler Broadcasts set? I just recently got these performances. I have yet to really sit down with them though. I've listened to the 7th, with Kubelik from 1981. The NYPO really play well for him. His first movement is VERY slow, but a lot of rhythmic details get brought out as a result. The rest of the movements are all very good.

What are people's thoughts if you've heard this set?

Nov 26, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #1,594 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundsGood
Does anyone here own or has anyone heard the New York Philharmonic Mahler Broadcasts set? I just recently got these performances. I have yet to really sit down with them though. I've listened to the 7th, with Kubelik from 1981. The NYPO really play well for him. His first movement is VERY slow, but a lot of rhythmic details get brought out as a result. The rest of the movements are all very good.

What are people's thoughts if you've heard this set?

I love this set. For historical interest alone it's worth its cost. Anyone expecting state of the art sound is in for a big disappointment, but to people who can listen through the sound and hear the performance, every one of them is very special. Mehta's 2 is exciting as can be. Boulez's 3 is very fine, better than the DG remake. Solti's 4 is surprising -- much more involving than his CSO version. 6 with Mitropoulos wasn't the best choice, since that version is easily available elsewhere. 7 with Kubelik is much better than his DG version. 8 is -- well, it's Stokowski. What the set shows us is proof that the NYPO did Mahler very well before Bernstein.
Too bad that other orchestras (London, Chicago, Philadelphia) can't release a similar set, but union rules about recordings being what they are, it just won't happen.

Nov 26, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #1,595 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub
I love this set. For historical interest alone it's worth its cost. Anyone expecting state of the art sound is in for a big disappointment, but to people who can listen through the sound and hear the performance, every one of them is very special. Mehta's 2 is exciting as can be. Boulez's 3 is very fine, better than the DG remake. Solti's 4 is surprising -- much more involving than his CSO version. 6 with Mitropoulos wasn't the best choice, since that version is easily available elsewhere. 7 with Kubelik is much better than his DG version. 8 is -- well, it's Stokowski. What the set shows us is proof that the NYPO did Mahler very well before Bernstein.
Too bad that other orchestras (London, Chicago, Philadelphia) can't release a similar set, but union rules about recordings being what they are, it just won't happen.

Are you sure that the Mitropoulos 6th in the set is available elsewhere? The only recording of the M6 I have ever found is from his last concert with the WDR Symphonieorchester Köln and although not stereo the sound is quite good.

1c5fd250fca021ed60664010.L.jpg

Nov 27, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #1,600 of 3,718
Bunnyears,

That is an interesting release. It appears that the Eiji Oue/ Osaka Philharmonic Orchestra Mahler: Symphony No. 6 (Fontec) disc will go on sale on 12 December(??) in Japan. I have not seen any North American release information for any of the recordings. On a related note, Hilary Hahn is recording Paganini and Spohr with Eiji Oue and the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra. If you should you hear more about the Eiji Oue Mahler, Shostakovich or Bruckner discs please share.

Best,
iDesign

Nov 27, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #1,602 of 3,718
Thanks for informing me about the Oue M6. I know that Minnesota was less than happy with him, but having attended the Grand Teton Music Festival during his tenure there, I have high hopes for this recording. The man can certainly get an orchestra to play like they're possessed. Very thrilling performances. The best Brahms 1 I ever heard live (although nature's contribution of a thunderstorm in finale helped).

Nov 27, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #1,603 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub
Thanks for informing me about the Oue M6. I know that Minnesota was less than happy with him, but having attended the Grand Teton Music Festival during his tenure there, I have high hopes for this recording. The man can certainly get an orchestra to play like they're possessed. Very thrilling performances. The best Brahms 1 I ever heard live (although nature's contribution of a thunderstorm in finale helped).

I agree about Oue, he could defintely turn in some very fine performances. I saw a wonderful Mahler 2 in Minnesota for his final concert. One of the best concerts I've seen. As I used to live close to Minneapolis, Minnesota, I often visited the orchestra and heard about what was going on. Oue was a very inconsistent conductor. Some concerts would be wonderful, the next night, it would be a completely different story. The musicians began to tire of this, quickly.

The Minnesota Orchestra took a bit of a gamble when they took on Oue as director in the 90s; he was a young, flashy conductor, pretty much the opposite of the outgoing Edo de Waart. It was probably what the orchestra needed to give them some life. Unfortunately, Oue probably wasn't quite ready for the challenges of leading a top orchestra. He just didn't seem prepared and was out there on the podium for his own purposes. He had quite an array of gestures. Eventually it came to head, and Oue was out.

Minnesota is doing VERY well now with Osmo Vanska at the helm. Their Beethoven 4 and 5 disc is a knockout.

As for Oue, I have not seen or really heard about him since he left Minnesota. Perhaps he has matured as a conductor and is giving the fantastic results he is capable of.

Nov 30, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #1,604 of 3,718
I just ordered the full Chially set, it ended up being $39, but still not bad for 12 CD's. I'll post my impressions when it gets here.

Nov 30, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #1,605 of 3,718
My Zander 1st SACD finally showed up. Great sound, Zander as usual does a passable job. The real gem of the disc however is the Songs of the wayfarer that comes first. Fantastic job on the Wayfarer!

If you have an SACD player this is another must have.

Later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back