MAHLER LOVERS CHECK OUT THIS PRICE!
Feb 23, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #106 of 118
My inclination is not to worry about the missing M7 at this price, but if anyone hears from Caiman on a replacement disc or exchange program, please let us know.

FWIW I don't think the "defect" had anything to do with the price. I've gotten mislabeled/defective discs before, and the mfgr/retailer is usually pretty good about exchanging them. Ideally they'd just send out a replacement M7 disc. But as I said, not a big deal for a $10 Mahler set.

For those people for whom this represents their entire Mahler collection: If you don't want to wait for a possible resolution from Caiman that may never come, just pick up the Bernstein/NYP Mahler 7th. It's available cheaply and is a great, "standard" interpretation (one of my favorites).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

Or, the following from yourmusic is a good choice:

http://www.yourmusic.com/browse/albu...ARCH_COMPOSERS

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #107 of 118
Just received this resoponse from Caiman, which I'm sure is what many of you have received:

"> Dear Customer,
>
> You would need to send back the whole set as follows:
>
> Our online Returns Center will guide you through the return process and
also provide you with a printable shipping label for your returns.
>
> http://us.caiman.com
>
> Note: Please have your order number and zip code available.
>
> Please include the packing slip with a note indicating if a replacement or
a refund is desired.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Claire"

I then sent them a copy of the information I receievd from EMI earilier this morning, and here was Caimans reply to that:

"Claire -

I also contacted EMI USA about the problem. Here is their response:

There is a problem with a batch of US stock that was identified this week.
We are taking action but this will take a few weeks to sort out. I will
notify you when stock is good and then you should exchange with your
retailer.

Regards

Ray"

and Caimans response to that:

"Dear Customer,

You only have a 30 day period to retrun the item. You may if you like wait.

Sincerely,

Claire
Customer Service

Need help? Go to www.caiman.com"

just an FYI

- augustwest

Feb 27, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #108 of 118
The Bertini set is selling in Hong Kong for about US$24 -- EMI Classics often have special deals here, chopping the price of their budget box-sets even further. Once we have the Tennstedt studio Mahler set at just this price (I picked it up used -- even cheaper).

Unfortunately, the Bertini box I picked up has the same mislabelling -- apparently they sourced it from the same source as Caiman. Some of my friends who bought it earlier reported no mislabelling. The store promised an exchange, but EMI told them it would take weeks.

The Bertini is indeed lovely -- the sonics is exquiste and crisp. I have not listened to enough Mahler to say how it compares, performance-wise, to famous cycles, but the sound alone more than justifies the price.

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #109 of 118
finally got round to listen to this set: WOW! Even at the regular $50+ it is an amazing value. I think I have never heard a recorded orchestra sound so true, so there. As for the duplicated disk, pity for No. 7 but the last two movements of No. 3 are so touching that it is good to have a backup copy
icon10.gif

Thanks (again) to bunnyears for the tip of the year!

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #110 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf
finally got round to listen to this set: WOW! Even at the regular $50+ it is an amazing value. I think I have never heard a recorded orchestra sound so true, so there. As for the duplicated disk, pity for No. 7 but the last two movements of No. 3 are so touching that it is good to have a backup copy
icon10.gif

Thanks (again) to bunnyears for the tip of the year!

You are very welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #111 of 118
Hello! 1st post !

I was one of those lucky enough to get the Bertini Mahler set at Caiman.com.

I also recieved the set with the duplicate disc 6, meaning NO symphony 7.

I was wondering has anyone recieved an email from EMI regarding getting a replacement disc? What is the status?

Thanks!
Charles

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #112 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Hello! 1st post !

I was wondering has anyone recieved an email from EMI regarding getting a replacement disc? What is the status?

Thanks!
Charles

I bought the set from a brick-and-mortar store (in Hong Kong) and I had my replacement disc last week.

Mar 22, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #113 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
I bought the set from a brick-and-mortar store (in Hong Kong) and I had my replacement disc last week.

Oh, were you notified from EMI and then sent back to the store where you bought it orginally or did EMI send you the replacement disc in the mail?

I think the 30-day window period from Caiman is expired and I have not heard back from EMI if the problem was corrected.

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #114 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Oh, were you notified from EMI and then sent back to the store where you bought it orginally or did EMI send you the replacement disc in the mail?

I think the 30-day window period from Caiman is expired and I have not heard back from EMI if the problem was corrected.

What I did was: first, e-mailed EMI; they told me that it would take weeks for the replacement to ship.

Then, I brought the disc back to the store. The store staff told me that they were aware of the problem and had contacted EMI, but the replacement would take weeks. About 3 weeks later, the store phoned me to take the wrong disc back for an exchange.

Apr 22, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #116 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
anyone have any more cheap deals of all the mahler symphonies?

Same question. Caiman screwed me over and never sent my set.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back