Mahavishnu Orchestra
Jan 28, 2004 at 10:57 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Well if you like guitar based jazz nothing like "THE MAN", Allan Holdsworth, this guy is incredible.....

sovkiller, thanks for the tip - i checked out his bio at allmusicguide.com - sadly i have not heard of him until now - i will have to get some of his stuff - i dont recall having seen his works at borders or hmv - probably a special order item - any suggestions as to what i must get? from the bio, this guy is an icon of sorts
cheers
m

Jan 28, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Well if you like guitar based jazz nothing like "THE MAN", Allan Holdsworth, this guy is incredible.....

Definitely!! Allan Holdsworth is one of the Best in the world, and most people have never heard of him.

Jan 29, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #18 of 24
Just occured to me - although not exactly fussion but none the less worth listening for fussion/jazz-rock/prog. fans:

Bozzio, Levin, Stevens - "Black Light Syndrome" and "Situation Dangerous"

Liquid Tension Experiment - both albums (Mike Portnoy & John Petrucci (Dream Theatre) , Tony Levin (King Crimson) and Jordhan Rudess at keyboards.

Jan 30, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Cherokee Mist
Yes! The BLS stuff is killer!

Heh-heh, I've just noticed that *BLS* stands for BOTH - "Bozzio, Levin, Stevens" AND "Black Light Syndrome" ...
biggrin.gif
I wonder if it is a coincidence or they did it on purpose (naming their first album with the same initials as their names...)

Jan 31, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #22 of 24
Speaking of Coryell...

Check out:
Larry Coryell/Tom Coster/Steve Smith - "Cause And Effect"
LC's playing is especially ferocious on this cd.

I also noticed that Allan Holdsworth's name was mentioned. He plays on the Tony Williams Lifetime cd that I previously listed as well as on Jean Luc Ponty's "Enigmatic Ocean". His playing on the Bill Bruford albums - "Feels Good To Me" and "One Of A Kind" is often astounding. If I were to recommend one solo AH cd, it would be "Metal Fatigue". Not one bad song in the bunch.

Steve Smith, mentioned above and of Journey fame, has put out several great fusion albums in recent years:

Gambale/Hamm/Smith - "Show Me What You Can Do", "The Light Beyond", "GHS 3"

Henderson/Smith/Wooten - "Vital Tech Tones Vol. 1 and 2"

more to come...

Jan 31, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #23 of 24
Check out Pat Metheny AND Jaco Pastorius playing together on the "Bright Size Life" CD.

Jan 31, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #24 of 24
Al DiMeola: "Kiss My Axe" and "Flesh on Flesh"

Jaco Pastorius's Big Band "Word of Mouth Revisited" SACD hybrid (mostly Weather Report's remakes in remarkable hi rez.

Joe Satriani "Strange Beautiful Music" and "Engines of Creation"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back