MagSafe DAC/Amp for iPhone 12?
Nov 3, 2020 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

OneBoot

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I clicked the link at the top of this sub for the questions and answers sub, and it was a dead link. So I hope it's ok to post this here.

Does anyone know if there are any portable DAC manufacturers who plan on utilizing Apple's new MagSafe technology for their wireless charging to hold a DAC/Amp on the back? This would be great for use cases like mine (and I assume others) who take public transit to work, where you can just stuff the device in a pocket and go!

Obviously, I don't expect charging to be included, but just a secure attachment with a mini lightning connector to ensure connectivity. Bluetooth would work, too, but I feel the spectrum is pretty clogged these days.

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 12
Since the new magsafe magnet array inside the iphone 12 is a ring and single magnet under it(for alignment) I think it wont be long before we start seeing DIY adhesive sheets in the same shape the magsafe design. How strong the magnets will be will be a different story. The official apple magsafe wallets are popping off somewhat easily when being put in a pocket according to reports from consumers. The magsafe puck is kinda big too so a smaller device like the Q3 from FiiO is out. It was the first thing I thought about when I finally upgraded though. Excited to see what comes out.

Sep 26, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 12
I don't see how this isn't a larger market sector....

Here's the closest thing I've found but I don't think it's officially MagSafe..
https://www.ikkoaudio.com/collections/dac/products/ikko-itm05

I really hope someone is working on a true MagSafe external amp/DAC for iPhone. Hell Apple should make one themselves to take advantage of the hi-res library in Apple Music.

Jan 2, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 12
Khadas Tea is the first MagSafe dac/amp, but dare I say they miss the point. It is still a traditional wired dac, but instead of having to glue it to the back of your phone, it snaps on to it. It does not solve the problem of not being able to listen to music while charging. (I could be wrong, but the website does indicate bluetooth for android only, or maybe they mean hi-res bluetooth for android and AAC/SBC for iphone, idk)

The perfect product for this category would be:
1. Have the functionality of a magsafe charger, e.g. the ESR Halolock. When I charge the dac via the USB C port, it also charges the phone. This eliminates the need of having to charge two devices.
2. Function as a bluetooth dac, not a wired dac.
3. Have some kind of deep sleep mode, or a long battery life, so that it won't be dead before my phone dies.

My current solution is a FiiO BTR3 Velcro-ed to the corner of the back of my phone.

C'mon @KHADAS @FiiO make it happen.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 12
Khadas Tea is the first MagSafe dac/amp, but dare I say they miss the point. It is still a traditional wired dac, but instead of having to glue it to the back of your phone, it snaps on to it. It does not solve the problem of not being able to listen to music while charging. (I could be wrong, but the website does indicate bluetooth for android only, or maybe they mean hi-res bluetooth for android and AAC/SBC for iphone, idk)

The perfect product for this category would be:
1. Have the functionality of a magsafe charger, e.g. the ESR Halolock. When I charge the dac via the USB C port, it also charges the phone. This eliminates the need of having to charge two devices.
2. Function as a bluetooth dac, not a wired dac.
3. Have some kind of deep sleep mode, or a long battery life, so that it won't be dead before my phone dies.

My current solution is a FiiO BTR3 Velcro-ed to the corner of the back of my phone.

C'mon @KHADAS @FiiO make it happen.
I don't see the charging as the issue it used to be. My iPhone 13 Pro Max can be used for 3 days straight without a charge. I mean I charge it nightly anyway, and when I plug in at night it's rarely below 70% battery, it's truly incredible. I think the need for a wired DAC connection that can decode hi-res audio, MQA and DSD outweighs the need for being able to charge through it or Bluetooth receiver functionality. Plus, there's a ton of BT enabled devices out there for iPhone already, but nothing that does what the Khadas Tea does. Well, we have dongle DACs, but I love the idea of attaching it to the phone via MagSafe more than a bulky dongle DAC.

I just doubt this device will have the power needed to drive my Sony IER-M9 IEMs, for example. If it did, I could abandon the need for my Walkman ZX300. I could store my entire local library on my 1TB iPhone and then still have all the access to my streaming services. It could be glorious.

Jan 2, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 12
I don't see the charging as the issue it used to be. My iPhone 13 Pro Max can be used for 3 days straight without a charge. I mean I charge it nightly anyway, and when I plug in at night it's rarely below 70% battery, it's truly incredible. I think the need for a wired DAC connection that can decode hi-res audio, MQA and DSD outweighs the need for being able to charge through it or Bluetooth receiver functionality. Plus, there's a ton of BT enabled devices out there for iPhone already, but nothing that does what the Khadas Tea does. Well, we have dongle DACs, but I love the idea of attaching it to the phone via MagSafe more than a bulky dongle DAC.

That's a good point. The only hassle from having a wired dac attached to the back of your phone would be 1) having to charge two things at night and 2) the protruding usb connecters getting into the way of hold your phone. The downside from having a bluetooth dac attached to the back of your phone would be 1) having to charge two things at night and 2) no hi-res.

My proposed solution will only have the downside of no hi-res (for iphone; wireless hi-res for android exists), and personally it is the only factor I don't care much about: 1) I have my audiophile rigs for critical listening, 2) no portable dac that is suitable in size to be attached to the back of a phone has crossfeed and 3) I value battery life (of the dac) over sound quality when I'm on the go.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 12
I have a MagSafe adapter plate meant for car usage attached to my xDuoo xd05 plus, iPhone 12 sticks right to it, wired up with otg cable, BAM!! MagSafe dac/amp…
Good for you... xd-05 would be too thick to carry around for me... I wish I had the gut (and the pants) to carry my Hugo around

For anyone looking to replicate this solution, these are the thinnest magsafe plates I found:
Non-rotatable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095TZ1HBW/
Rotatable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0949V49K4/

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #12 of 12

Attachments

• D3A26D0A-87FB-4A67-81DA-510100C951C0.jpeg
    D3A26D0A-87FB-4A67-81DA-510100C951C0.jpeg
    869.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back