Magni/Modi a good combo for DT770?
Jan 9, 2013 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kentronic

New Head-Fier
Long time lurker here, and I am looking for something new to listen to.  I am thinking about getting a new set of cans and upgrading my amp/dac at the same time for my work setup.  I currently have a TMA-1 and a Fiio E7 that I bring everywhere with me.  I use this at work as well running a USB cable from my macbook pro to the E7 and use the dac and amp from the e7 to listen to MP3s and Spotify at work.

I am thinking about getting the Beyer DT770 Pro 250ohm version and combining it with another purchase of the Schiit Magni and Modi.  It seems like for the money (~$200) there isnt a better amp and dac combo out there.  I was thinking of staying in the Fiio family and getting the E17 and E09, but the Schiit combo seems better and is cheaper.  It would also give me a different signature to listen to as well.

Is the DT770 a good match with the Magni and Modi?  My music tastes are all over the map: Electronic (Daft Punk, Fatboy Slim), Rock, Classic Rock, Indie Rock, and some other stuff like Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Muse.  I like stuff with good PRaT, as I am a programmer and web designer and a quick beat helps me code faster.

Would you suggest another amp and dac combo? What other headphones for the Magni/Modi would you suggest that pair well with my music tastes and are under $350?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Long time lurker here, and I am looking for something new to listen to.  I am thinking about getting a new set of cans and upgrading my amp/dac at the same time for my work setup.  I currently have a TMA-1 and a Fiio E7 that I bring everywhere with me.  I use this at work as well running a USB cable from my macbook pro to the E7 and use the dac and amp from the e7 to listen to MP3s and Spotify at work.
I am thinking about getting the Beyer DT770 Pro 250ohm version and combining it with another purchase of the Schiit Magni and Modi.  It seems like for the money (~$200) there isnt a better amp and dac combo out there.  I was thinking of staying in the Fiio family and getting the E17 and E09, but the Schiit combo seems better and is cheaper.  It would also give me a different signature to listen to as well.
Is the DT770 a good match with the Magni and Modi?  My music tastes are all over the map: Electronic (Daft Punk, Fatboy Slim), Rock, Classic Rock, Indie Rock, and some other stuff like Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Muse.  I like stuff with good PRaT, as I am a programmer and web designer and a quick beat helps me code faster.
Would you suggest another amp and dac combo? What other headphones for the Magni/Modi would you suggest that pair well with my music tastes and are under $350?

I would say go for it (Magni/Modi), you will then be able to replace (in the future) the DT770 with just about any headphone made on the planet (using the Magni/Modi).
Currently I think the Audio Technica ATH-A900X ($250) is a great sounding headphone, best to find a used one for under $200.

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I would say go for it (Magni/Modi), you will then be able to replace (in the future) the DT770 with just about any headphone made on the planet (using the Magni/Modi).
Currently I think the Audio Technica ATH-A900X ($250) is a great sounding headphone, best to find a used one for under $200.

Thanks for the suggestion of the ATH-A900X's.  I will take a look into those.  Since you have both sets of cans (according to your signature), how do they compare sound-wise?  Do they benefit from amp and dac the same way?

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion of the ATH-A900X's.  I will take a look into those.  Since you have both sets of cans (according to your signature), how do they compare sound-wise?  Do they benefit from amp and DAC the same way?

The ATH-A900X (40-Ohm) needs to be used with an amplifier with a low impedance (5-Ohms or less), and the Magni has a very low impedance, like under 1-Ohm.
The ATH-A900X does not scale well (will not get loud) with a receiver's (high impedance) headphone output jack, where as the DT770 250-Ohm works great plugged into a receiver.
Technically the DT770 needs a little more juice then the A900X, but even my $28 Fiio E6 can drive the DT770 250-Ohm headphones.
Both headphone should benefit about equally from a DAC (best guess).
Audio quality wise (for me personally), the A900X is one step above the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm.

If you decide on the A900X, hold out for a used pair, I've seem used ones sell for $180.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

two questions, if i may.
1) regarding gain. magni has a very high gain setting. so i assume with the dt770 it will be alright, but say in the future, one gets an "easy to drive" headphone, wouldnt the gain be too high? what i mean is, wouldnt the volume knob appear to be very sensitive, adding alot of volume with just the slightest touch?

2) so no, i wont be upgrading my headphones in a while (im also using 770s 250), but the a900x is one of the leading candidates. in your opinion, would it really be an upgrade? im asking because theyr both in the same price range. also, how would you say the two compare? if i could have just a quick comparison id be very very thankful. hows the sub bass? bass extension, detail? are the mids more prominant? hows the treble on those? is it slightly darker maybe? btw, amazon has them for 216$ new i think...

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
two questions, if i may.
1) regarding gain. magni has a very high gain setting. so i assume with the dt770 it will be alright, but say in the future, one gets an "easy to drive" headphone, wouldnt the gain be too high? what i mean is, wouldnt the volume knob appear to be very sensitive, adding alot of volume with just the slightest touch?

2) so no, i wont be upgrading my headphones in a while (im also using 770s 250), but the a900x is one of the leading candidates. in your opinion, would it really be an upgrade? im asking because theyr both in the same price range. also, how would you say the two compare? if i could have just a quick comparison id be very very thankful. hows the sub bass? bass extension, detail? are the mids more prominant? hows the treble on those? is it slightly darker maybe? btw, amazon has them for 216$ new i think...

1) I use my A900X (40-ohm) headphones with my O2 amp. volume control is not a problem (with the O2), so I doubt there is a volume control problem with the Magni.
At least I personally have not heard about any volume control issues with the Magni.
Best to ask this kind of question on one of the many Magni threads.

I'm off to the dog park right now, but I'll come the headphones when i get back.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 8
Woah no offense but i thought the a900x were the most inaccurate phones i have heard in a while, they put so much air into the music that it sounds really funny and there is very little bass punch. There is a bloated soundstage imo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back