Magnets on a wire
Mar 17, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ferrite cores are said to block certain noise. They are not really for IC but more for power cords.

That is still a testable hypothesis then, all my CD players have power cords.

Ferrite Core Chokes ordered...

Mar 17, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #18 of 26
^ Looking forward to reading your findings.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Also, wouldn't annealing a cable be better than cryo treating it?

Yes, in the same way that hammering on pancakes with a hammer is better than running them through the wash.

Both are pointless and stupid. The sensible way to increase the conductivity of a cable is to increase its diameter or reduce its length. Both are very cheap and easy, and generally unnecessary because common sizes and lengths of cable have insignificant resistance. And even if the resistance was significant, it probably wouldn't matter because resistance is a 1st order linear distortion that can generally be mitigated by turning the volume up slightly.

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #20 of 26
Wow, this thread is amazing.

I mean, there are HUGH, GIGANTIC magnets and some coils called "drivers" inside of headphones. How about getting rid of them first if anyone believe this drivel.

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I mean, there are HUGH, GIGANTIC magnets and some coils called "drivers" inside of headphones. How about getting rid of them first if anyone believe this drivel.

Better move to the moon also, I hear the geomagnetic field completely destroys soundstage.

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In my case, Sony designed and built the docking system with the magnets in line with the speaker wires. I don't think they would spend the money if it didn't work. It wasn't a sales gimmick.

Mar 21, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is still a testable hypothesis then, all my CD players have power cords.

Ferrite Core Chokes ordered...

I placed a choke on on the power cable and ran a digital silence test and a cymbal crash test, somewhat informally I will admit.

The result: with the choke there was substantially more noise in the 5k to 13K region (between 2 and 6db) , go figure - still down at the -89 to -91db level so nowt to lose sleep over but interesting, overall it was about 1.2db noisier from 3hz to 20khz. With the cymbals no notable difference found.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #24 of 26
Some of you mind find this article interesting reading on the use of ferrites on cables in audio applications:

www.audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf

They seem to have done their research and some good experiments, well, as much as you can tell from an article such as this.

As far as i have read over the years, ferrites should only be used on power applications and not on signal interconnects.

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The result: with the choke there was substantially more noise in the 5k to 13K region (between 2 and 6db) , go figure - still down at the -89 to -91db level so nowt to lose sleep over but interesting, overall it was about 1.2db noisier from 3hz to 20khz.

Did you control the cable position ? The noise recorded through interconnects depends on its position.
Maybe you didn't replace the cable in the exact same position after having added the choke.

Mar 26, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you control the cable position ? The noise recorded through interconnects depends on its position.
Maybe you didn't replace the cable in the exact same position after having added the choke.

The choke was on the power cable not the interconnect, the position of the power cable was not changed, the result was a surprise to me, but with a muisc sample there was no notable difference in waveform...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back