Magnets on a wire
Mar 12, 2009 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

cegras

100+ Head-Fier
I have a first year background in physics (read: basically nothing).

So you can understand that I'm mighty confused on how magnets can act as signal boosters. Can someone explain this to me, if it works?

Also, wouldn't annealing a cable be better than cryo treating it? Annealing would actually coalesce the grain boundaries, where cryo treating it ..

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by cegras /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So you can understand that I'm mighty confused on how magnets can act as signal boosters. Can someone explain this to me, if it works?

Also, wouldn't annealing a cable be better than cryo treating it? Annealing would actually coalesce the grain boundaries, where cryo treating it ..

don't try to apply actual physics (be it highschool or colligate (I'm guessing you're talking a year of college physics here, but who knows, maybe you have a great highschool teacher)) to audio cables, you'll ruin the illusion
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't try to apply actual physics (be it highschool or colligate (I'm guessing you're talking a year of college physics here, but who knows, maybe you have a great highschool teacher)) to audio cables, you'll ruin the illusion
tongue.gif

LOL hilarious.
smily_headphones1.gif
Every forum I've been that involves some sort of contentious issue eventually boils down to "Don't try to apply real science to it!" as a way of keeping sane. Maybe that's the true nature of the internet?

I also find that Poe's Law applies just as well to audiophile discussions too.

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Magnets? I haven't seen magnets in the context of cables. Maybe ferrit rings? They work as low-pass filters preventing HF interference.

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Magnets? I haven't seen magnets in the context of cables. Maybe ferrit rings? They work as low-pass filters preventing HF interference.

see, and I wasn't really sure of that either, but figured my blanket statement "answered" it

at the OP: I respect that you've gone out and learned on your own (like, education is one of the greatest things we can partake in, "the pursuit of knowledge is a noble one", etc), but I'm really sorry to say, it likely won't apply very well here (even if it "applies", you get what I'm saying?)

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

No, it doesn't.

Any other questions?

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 26
A change in the magnetic field on a wire induces a current in the wire, so if you wave magnets over your cables while they are passing a signal, you can alter the signal. A stationary magnet on a cable does not do anything because the magnetic field is not changing, it is constant.

You might be thinking of ferrite beads, as JaZZ mentioned. They are used to get rid of interference.

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

next youll ask for the physical reasoning behind a shakti stone

dont try too hard to understand audiophile-ese, youll give yourself a headache

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 26
Well, they say 'rare earth magnets' do something to the signal, and as the field isn't moving, by Lorentz's Law or something like that (like the generator principle) .. I had to know : (

And yeah, first year physics. Kinematics, EM, Nuclear, and Waves. I learned nothing, really.

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #11 of 26
The speakers on my VAIO are fed through ferrite rings. Being close to a noisy docking station, it is to block RF from the dock.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I'm gonna regret this in about an hour:

what's a shakti stone?

you wouldnt believe me if I told you, so here's a link: audio/video

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you wouldnt believe me if I told you, so here's a link: audio/video

yep, regret it, thats the biggest crock I've ever seen, tops the tice clock, and why are they cross selling it as audiophile tweak and car enhancement?

loved this part:

Quote:

it showed a remarkable improvement of almost four tenths of a second in its 0 to 60 time.

and they go on to say thats a multi-thousand dollar improvement, you realize anything less than a second can be attributed to testing invariance (like, the person responded faster, or wind, or whatever), and you can usually shave better time than this off by simply re-doing the air intake/exhaust, which is like $1k max on most cars (why are we even discussing this, I thought this was an audiophile tweak,
angry_face.gif
)

LOL:

Shakiti is Endorsed by the Following Engineers:
George Tice (Tice Electronics)

hhahahahahahahahaha

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe ferrit rings? They work as low-pass filters preventing HF interference.

Hmm, my next project perhaps
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back