Magnetic fields influence the brain
Feb 3, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #33 of 39
are those 1.5 tesla Beyerdynamic drivers a concern?
thats 15000 gauss equivalent
I think it comes down to the engineering.. in order to get incredible Tesla level rating (in Beyerdynamic Tesla models), the field control, to get the power to ‘that level’ was ’great engineering’.

Having seen the way they did it (essentially super controlled magnetic field that gets a very specific zone up to that Tesla field level, by controlling the field and ‘using that cage’ to amplifiy the strength of the relatively small amount of magnet involved..), it has always been on my radar. -I don’t want that near my head and would simply rather use hifi and speakers if it means keeping my brain free from ‘field effects’. That being said, Beyer seem to know what they are doing, the problem is ‘the Tesla measurement‘ has been marketed and ‘lesser capably engineered products’ might just use ‘more magnets’ and ‘less effort‘ to control the fields….

Of note, some Beyer T90s I used were great, felt ‘lightweight’ and not fatiguing.

Last year I bought ‘quite a few planars’, and every set would send me to sleep nearly instantly. (I gather I must be sensitive to this stuff)

As I climbed higher and higher in the Planar world, every model just kept putting me to sleep.
I realised that the research I had read on Ultrasone products (commisioned by security agencies who would monitor using headphones for 12hours+ sessions, and had lots of infield agents ‘health issues’ to deal with), that had came up with ways to make ‘safe’ products; it isn’t NONSENSE.

To those sensitive to magnetic field sensations, the Ultrasone headphones I bought were so ‘unfatiguing’ that I bought more sets for the child and actively recommend them to many parents, as childrens’ BloodBrainBarriers are not fully developed and the ‘ear holes’ are ‘sans bone‘ that actually reflects many aspects of RF.
I do not encourage multipoint bluetooth buds IN EAR CANALs, and thenotion that bluetooth is looking to have 3-10x the range in product evolution is crazy…
250+ doctors approaching the World Health ORganisation to try and have some protection in place for ‘the masses’… (nope!)

I do use bluetooth, but prefer horseshoe neckbands that allow the aerials to be away from the brain..

Of note, the Ultrasones, whilst they have shielding and cleverly place the magnets well away from the ‘ear hole’ (s-logic), when plugging them into wireless devices, such as a playstation controller, they act like antennas and most people get nauseas within five to ten minutes of using them ‘cabled into the wireless controller’.
The effect is very prominent, and EVERYONE who has used them, without me mentioning anything, will pull them off and ‘need to go outside’ (for air) within a ‘super short amount of time’.

That is fairly unique to the Ultrasones (wired into wireless devices can make them very sickness inducing), but for all the rest of the time, they are the ‘least headphoney‘ headphones I have ever owned, and I feel fresh, like I am not wearing headphones at all, every time I use them…..

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #35 of 39
The Beyerdynamic Tesla drivers are grouded with an additional wire, this might be a factor in how the headphone behaves with radio waves
or static electricity.
I feel (from what I recall) they also had built an incredible chamber, very ‘tight tolerances’ (this is where they were ‘cutting edge’) that forced the field to be ‘very powerful’ in a ‘very tiny space’ (was how they got to ‘one tesla’ without just using large amount of magnet (/super high powered magnet of significant amount).

I would postulate they did so with clever design, based on whatever design ideals (less weight perhaps) were leading them.
I guess the problem with spec sheet warfare is that competitors might eschew the research and development and simply go with powerful magnets whose fields may be more widely dispersed..
ultimately would be cheaper even if the amount of coin spent on ‘high powered magnets’ was larger.
we associate the ‘nuanced sound delivery’ of Beyers, less with incredible windings and clever design, and ‘more so’ the measured number 1 Tesla.

surely 2 tesla must be better.. These new headphones are 2 tesla (they sound twice as good - this is basic math!)
Of course- I have said this already in the above post.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #36 of 39
are those 1.5 tesla Beyerdynamic drivers a concern?

Something sounds dodgy there.

1.5 tesla is the magnetic field strength of a typical MRI scanner. The big electro-magnets they use in scrap yards to pick up and move cars are about 1.0 tesla! I wonder what would happen if you tried to use those Beyer HPs in a car? Would your head slam against the roof of the car or would the roof of the car crumple against your head? Hey, you could mount these HPs just in front of a car and "drag" the car around, no need for fossil fuel burning combustion engines and maybe the audiophile world could save the planet!!! :)

G

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #37 of 39
Something sounds dodgy there.

1.5 tesla is the magnetic field strength of a typical MRI scanner. The big electro-magnets they use in scrap yards to pick up and move cars are about 1.0 tesla! I wonder what would happen if you tried to use those Beyer HPs in a car? Would your head slam against the roof of the car or would the roof of the car crumple against your head? Hey, you could mount these HPs just in front of a car and "drag" the car around, no need for fossil fuel burning combustion engines and maybe the audiophile world could save the planet!!! :)

G
The field is engineered to be active in an extremely tight space… (only).

it is how it claims 1 tesla strength, as by containing the full field strength in an extremely small space/cage, it has effectively ‘Tesla strength’.

edit: I had to edit this- I was grumpy and was coming off (intentionally) as rude.. Our forum doesn’t need this type of behavior. Apologies to all.. although by removing said statements, hopefully ‘no one suffered from my grumpyness’.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #38 of 39
Here is an Ultrasone link that has a nice animation (it must be true, hey(?)!) showing the ‘magnetic field on an Ultrasone product’.
Combined with their ‘s-logic’ (and if we ignore s-logics effect on the soundstage/soundfield and ability to drive headphones generally 3dB louder without FEELING it..) the ability to get the magnetic field away from our ‘mission critical’ biological components.. (a brain is a terrible thing to waste)..
Ultrasone might be onto something.
They are, in my opinion, but this is ‘sound science’ so anecdotal evidence that supports my claims, whilst might help typical scientists who want observable phenomena to generate a premise (to be tested), SHOULDN’T BE CONTRIBUTED TO THE FORUM.

The scientist in me tells me this is mad, but the ‘scientist in others‘ also tells ME I AM mad.
So I won’t reiterate how I have bought extra sets and even given them away to school aged children…

edit: oops forgot to paste the link: https://ultrasone.com/ule/?lang=en

Feb 5, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #39 of 39
Denon uses a metal mesh in front of the driver, which is also 1.5 Tesla by the way.
Audio Technica uses a metal grill on many of their drivers
wouldn't these count as a shield?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back