Magnat LZR series
Feb 16, 2015 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Tamirci

Member of the Trade: mobileaudiophile

Magnat, being a respectable hifi brand, had announced its headphone line with the codename LZR. LZR had taken the name from their laser design and related calculations. Whats more, they were designed by Pininfarina * Much more can be read from their own website.  https://www.magnat-lzr.com/en/

* Pininfarina is THE design company behind many cars and equipment as of now. Ferrari is their most famous work :wink:

Good points (without listening): Detachable cable, true portable usage, probably extraordinary build quality

First releases were in EU (as I know). 

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 32
I just received the LZR980 a week ago. First impressions weren't too good. Bass was deep and tight, treble was bright, but mids were weird sounding, hollow or like through a horn. They aren't comfortable either. They sound better with about 10 hours of burn in. Mids still sound like they are far away and echoed, apart from bass and treble, which are good. I'll give em more time to break in. If mids get better, they'll be nice phones. Perhaps I'll do a review. Don't know if I want this to be my first review. 

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 32
After some more burn in these have become much better. Coming out of my fiio e18 fed from my mac they sound pretty neutral. Out of my x5/e12 combo they sound more fun. These are very versatile. Very clear across the spectrum. Eq affects them tremendously. They can take a lot of power and aren't fazed at all. They just get better the more power you feed them, the louder you play them. Very smooth phones. At first I wasn't sure I liked them because they didn't stand out in one particular way, as some phones are good at bass, or mids or treble. These are equally good at all three. 

Comfort: They aren't very comfortable at first. I had to figure out that the band has to sit more forward on the head. I finally confirmed that when I read a write up on them. Also, the band had to flex some and break in a bit. Now, they are more comfortable, but still have too much clamp for me.

Build/Design: Can't argue with the point that these are extremely well made. The design, while very cool, may be a bit much. I think more went into designing a look than engineering comfort on the head.

Sound: At first I was taken aback with the sound but couldn't pinpoint exactly the issue apart from the mids sounding hollow. After breaking them in more and using them on different dacs/player, the sound has gotten much, much, better. Isolation is very good. They are more neutral sounding with a slight bass hump for impact. IMO they are spot on. I'd recommend them with the only caveat being comfort.

What I used;
macbook pro with fiio e18 kunlun dac

Fiio X5/e12 combo

I have an ifi micro idsd on the way and I'm negotiating on a used micro ican as well. I'll try them with the 980s as soon as I get them.

This wasn't supposed to be a review, as it is, it's my first, albeit a light review. But I felt that since I was one of the first to comment on the sound, particularly in a somewhat negative view, it was only fair for me to clarify/expand on my points.

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 32
Good job on your first review! I doubt LZR980 will get much attention, at 299euros it is facing tough competition. Talking about looks only, those look like uglier version of velodyne headphones imo. However Magnat LZR 580 might be more interesting. In under 100euro price range there is more room for newcomers. 580's, especially the pads look pretty cool. 

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 32
I bought mine for $199 on touch of modern which was half off. For that price I think they are worth it. Build wise they are definitely worth more than $199. They sound very good as well. $400? i don't know. $299, probably. I do think they'll get lost in the shuffle, particularly being that they are closed. IMO the biggest issue facing new audiophile headphone brands is that they all believe that they have to be mobile working out of an iPhone, so they make the low impedance and portable. To me, portable and hi-end don't really go together. There are trade offs when making low impedance mobile phones and the audiophile, (air quotes) mobile headphone market is filling up quick. I'm glad I have these though, they are very portable and sound great.

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 32
More on the LZR980. I just received my ifi iDSD and am listening to the 980s now. WOW, do they sound good out of the iDSD! Of all my headphones this was the one that I was least interested in how it would pair with the iDSD. I couldn't wait to get my AKG K712 on it, and my X2s. The LZR980 impresses the hell out of me on the iDSD. Very musical and smooth.

Sep 4, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 32
Bought the LZR 980 last week during a 1-day special sale, for 169euro's (about 190$) which seems like a pretty good deal. 
Received the headphones yesterday and would like to share my first impression (and impressed I am!) with you.

First of al the packaging: besides a very high "wow" factor it also gives you a first impression of the overall quality.
Everything is put nice into place, with in the top of the box a separate space for the cable with mic and warranty.
In the case, provided to protect the headphones, there is a normal cable (without mic) in a velcro strap attached to the side.
And  a separate pocket holds the jack connector adapter and adapter for use in planes.

The looks headphones themselves (I've got the black ones): WOW they look nice!
Rubberized black paint with glossy paint behind the ear pads, the folding mechanism (aluminium) give's a secure "click" when you open the headphones.
The ear pads are some kind of velours which felt, during my brief test, very comfortable.
Overal the headphones looks like quality in my humble opinion.

The sound: first of all, I can't really describe myself as an audiophile because I really don't now al the terms (in how to name everything) and conditions (as in what is truly high quality), but I know what I like and I am very picky about almost everything :wink:
As a source I've used my iPhone 6 with some albums synced with Spotify on Extreme quality. I know this isn't the best available, but after my first tests I will put some High Quality audio directly on my iPhone so I can (try to) hear the difference (if you start with the best, there is nothing to compare anymore).

First song: Dire Straits, Money for Nothing (Brothers in Arms, Remastered): at first there was a little disappointment, it felt as if the left earned was louder than the right earpad.
After about a minute it was clear that this was the way I experience the sound separation/stereo (at least I hope so). The bass isn't heavy, but ver tight and on spot.
I can hear every instrument.

Second song: Metallica, The Call of Ktulu, S&M: again a sound with very much separation, but this time it really kind of feels as if I am in front of the stage.
It feels (I think the term "feels" really describes the quality of this headphone better than the term "sounds") like I am surrounded with music.

Third song: Pearl Jam, Just Breathe, Backspacer: this is we're emotion kicked in....just.....wow.....amazing. Even now when I think of it, it gives me goosebumps.
The vocals are, well heck....I don't even know how to describe it. I heard EVERYTHING in his voice, just amazing. 

Just trying to describe the above better: yesterday I gave my old Jabra Revo Wireless to my brother and let hem listen to Just Breathe.
He was very impressed with the sound, and off course...the Revo is a nice pair of headphones. Then I gave him the Magnat LZR 980 to listen the same song.
His reaction: eyes closed...listened for a while....still eyes closed....looked up to me and said "this is amazing"..

I am sure that these headphones need some time to break in.
Listened for about an hour more before I went to sleep and noticed the bass to become a little bit more "punchy" I think is the best way to describe it?
But overall this sounds to me like quite a neutral headphone which tells the music like the artist ment it to be.

If appreciated I will update my (very first) review after breaking them in good and will also update my post with pictures.
Just let me know.

Regards,
Harm

(sorry if the above is hard to read, English is not my native language)

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 32
Hi Talan7, 

Tx for you're reply!
I remember what you've told me before about the amp, but figured to use it for a while without one before buying an amp.
In that way I love the sound of this headphone twice ... but also it give's me some time to build budget :wink:

Maybe the fact that Magnat is a newcomer on the headphone market, makes people think twice about these headphones and their pricing?
I think people should give them a try...I am really impressed by them and would also like to know what someone who has a larger collection of headphones thinks of them.

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #12 of 32
Look at my profile. I have a lot of headphones. Just this year, since getting back into the hobby, I purchased the magnat lzr980, Philips fidelity x2, AKG K712, Shure SRH1540, JVC HA-SZ2000 (bass canons), hifiman re600, JVC fxz200, HaviB3, and some others. The magnats impress me the most. The fidelio x2s are nice. The AKGs are really nice as well, really clear. The magnats are probably the most versatile. The Shures are probably my favorites though.

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #14 of 32
Wow, didn't see you're signature before.....sorry!
Seems you are pretty capable to know a good headphone when you hear it :wink:
You seem to have a lot of headphones with are commonly known as real audiophile headphones, so considering this I indeed don't understand WHY the LZR 980 doesn't get more attention.

I think I will go for an amp next month or the month after..
"only" thing I have to decide is which one it's gonna be..

By the way: do you also feel like putting the headphones on in the opposite direction (left ear cup on right ear). Seems to makes more sense/feels more intuitive as well?

Also: i've updated my "review" with some pictures.

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #15 of 32
I love the iFi micro iDSD. It's pricey though. The fiio e18 is nice. If you don't need a sac the e12 is nice too. Fiio has a new Dac/amp coming out which should be top notch.

I tried wearing the headphones backwards. Either way feels weird. After a while the feel more intuitive canted forward, after they mold a bit to your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back