Maestral´s Had-AudioLab from Croatia Europe
Dec 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #16 of 58
Hi, about the pairing with my HE500 is very good, maybe specifications are not the perfect one for this type of headphones, but it seems that Maestral II has enough current to drive my HE500, using the low impedance setting and high gain on, good dynamics at about 75% of total pot volume  (I listen to high volume and on my other amp, Soloist SL I use about 60%)

Maybe the Maestral III is a better paring but I don't know since I didn't try it yet. Anyway I'm quite satisfied with the result, and I cans see in this type of pairing that planar-magnetic don't suffer at all with high impedance output.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #17 of 58
  Looks awsome. But would the Maestral III wouldn't have been a better pairing for the Hifiman's? It has a rather low impedance (38 Ohm). The extra output transformers makes it somewhat more expensive though.

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting this one for my HD700's. What did you pay for it in the end (shipping included)?

Just thought I would chime in on this, since I purchased a maestral II as well.  I do a lot of my listening with ortho dynamic headphones, and was going to go for the maestral III specificaly because of the lower output impedance.  After telling Drazen what I planned to use my he-500 quite a bit with it, he suggested the maestral II.  The impedance curve of the he-500 is also very flat, so high output impedance is not a concern really.

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #18 of 58
Good choice, I'm listening right now and to my ears it sounds very nice, quite linear and almost neutral sound. I touch of body to the voices but this is and advantage to my sound preferences, I'm more of the warm side, not fatiguin sound.

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #20 of 58
I continue listening to my Maestral II a lot this days, I tried all the combinations (gain and impedance switches) and with my Hifiman HE-500 I have the best sound on this way:  High gain ("+") and Low impedance ("-")

With this combination the sound is quite smooth, neutral and with a touch of warm.
Little harshness on the highs are completely gone with this amplifier, now my Hifiman sounds more on the Sennheiser HD650 way, but with a more controlled and faster sound. I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #22 of 58
Listening right now this combo:

Meridian Director DAC + Maestral II + Sennheiser HD600  The sound is amazing, great speed for a tube amplifier, not too much slow or colored. Midrange is so organic now, Sennheiser HD6X0 love great OTL amps like this :)

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #23 of 58

Well I have the Maestral Three standing on my desk, by me in short named the M III and listened to a variety of music. Lately I do like to listen to Ambient, Experimental and say BioSphere related music.
Actually I am not interested in the technical aspects of the M III because when things are built accurately and well inspired it is my experience that it will perform well too. People who like that type of information can look it up at http://www.had-audiolab.com/
So my focus is on the how does it manifest and perform with all the different styles of music.
First of all I have to say that this is for me the most fascinating headphone device I ever heard.
Every-time when I start listening to it, again and again it is surprising me by the sound it brings forward to my ears.
Just by fun I gave it a variety of headphones from the low cost-level to the higher cost-level ones.
I wanted to come to know by doing so what the true soul of this M III is.
In this respect I came to the conclusion that it always immediately is revealing the true character of each headphone and getting the best out of each headphone. Also this is the first time that such a thing became so apparent to my ears. And yes that makes me very happy.
So, out of this came my search towards the question: ¨What headphone do I like the best for my personal ears?¨
¨Does the M III perform better as a whole with the more expensive headphones?¨
My headphone options were very wide apart when it comes to costs.
I used the Sennheiser PX 100, Philips SHL 9500, Koss Porta Pro, Beyer Dynamic DT 990, Grado SR80 and the Grado PS500.
To do so gave and still gives me a lot of fun. Finally for me the winner is the combination of the Grado PS500 with the M III.
Together they come to a kind of synthesis that can only be heard because it is hard to describe the musical intoxication of enlightenment to the ears and brain that it gives me as I am listening now to Al Di Meola´s ´Diabolic Inventions´.
Yes, indeed to me it seems that the M III is to me something like a Diabolic Invention but made by Angels somewhere.
The highs, the mids, the lows, they all seem to have a party all the time when listening to this Maestral III with all kinds of different musical atmospheres and it does it without any pretensions and with ultimate ease.
It totally involves the listener and thus the M III, the Grado PS 500 and me becoming one as the Three Musketeers: One for All and All for One.
In this sense I can truly say that the sum of the parts is greater than the sum of the whole. This M III is proving that for sure.
Because the you, the Grado and the Maestral III, dissolve into nothingness leaving only the music to be experienced. Pure magic!
So in terms of a ´Wow factor´ I give it 9.5 points and am still looking for the weak points that are hard to find. Especially when I notice that it is for what it offers, ridiculously cheap.
Apart from the musical quality it produces, it is absolute outstanding when it comes up to design aesthetically. It is and has exceptional character and dignity when I look at it standing on my desk.
Indeed in that realm the Maestral III does not have any rivals.
I whole heartedly can recommend without a doubt this headphone amplifier to anyone who loves music.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #24 of 58
I'm seriously considering purchasing maestral III. I thought about going for woo audio or bottlehead but 24%vat+customs are quite a turnoff. Sucks how stuff is priced around here. I was looking for Schiit distributors in Eu. Pricing principle seems to be converting usd to uk pound 1:1. 737$ for schiit lyr for example. Anyhoo...I hope had products sound as good as they look. All reviews seem positive. Not just the meastral line their other stuff seems to get some praise too. Would be great if someone could compare maestral amps to some more known amps. So if anyone has something to contribute I would really appreciate your input.

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #25 of 58
Fantastic impressions Azzaro, the Maestral III with the lowest output impedance of the line seems to be an amazing pairing with the Grado, congratulations for your purchase.

I'm writing my review about the Maestral II OTL, hope I can share my impressions soon too :)

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #26 of 58
Hello Yugas, Yes I have become an addict now.
biggrin.gif
But a most healthy addiction this is with the Maestral. Makes this man a very happy man.
I am very much curious to your impressions about the Maestral II.
Soon I will have the possibility to listen to the Maestral II myself. I cannot wait. It is on its way.
The extra feature of a passthrough on the M III is phenomenal too. I have put the M III in between my Beresford Caiman  Dac and the Naim Nait 5i and man o man o man, it brings a naturalness to the music that the Naim could not do on its own. Instruments are having that fantastic realism when heard this way.
Had AudioLab did a fantastic job with that feature too.

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #27 of 58
  Hello Yugas, Yes I have become an addict now.
biggrin.gif
But a most healthy addiction this is with the Maestral. Makes this man a very happy man.
I am very much curious to your impressions about the Maestral II.
Soon I will have the possibility to listen to the Maestral II myself. I cannot wait. It is on its way.
The extra feature of a passthrough on the M III is phenomenal too. I have put the M III in between my Beresford Caiman  Dac and the Naim Nait 5i and man o man o man, it brings a naturalness to the music that the Naim could not do on its own. Instruments are having that fantastic realism when heard this way.
Had AudioLab did a fantastic job with that feature too.

I'm considering the M III as preamp for my HE-6 system and as headphone amp for my other headphones.
Which headphones are you using with yours? I was wondering if you could provide a picture of the rear part? :)

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #28 of 58
They indeed produce top quality HiFi equipment. I haven't personally heard any of their amps, but heard only the praises from others.
If you need help with translation, let me know, we're from the same country 
smile.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #29 of 58

I'm considering the M III as preamp for my HE-6 system and as headphone amp for my other headphones.
Which headphones are you using with yours? I was wondering if you could provide a picture of the rear part? :)

If I was you Anda, I would not consider but buy it if you can. Since I bought the M III there has not be one day I did not enjoy it.
Instead I enjoy it more and more every day. It is just a magical device. Yes for the money an amazing concept and very uniquely build.
It is my personal taste to listen to it with my Grado PS 500. They do excellent together. But I have high expectations of it with the HE-6. Let me know in time what your experience will be.
Enjoy the pictures!

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #30 of 58

If I was you Anda, I would not consider but buy it if you can. Since I bought the M III there has not be one day I did not enjoy it.
Instead I enjoy it more and more every day. It is just a magical device. Yes for the money an amazing concept and very uniquely build.
It is my personal taste to listen to it with my Grado PS 500. They do excellent together. But I have high expectations of it with the HE-6. Let me know in time what your experience will be.
Enjoy the pictures!

Thanks! I would love to get a Maestral right away, but getting HE-6 and M-4 was pretty hard for my wallet. I'll need to sell some of my gear, and even then I will need time to save up.
Maybe that will give me time to find something used, but if not I will probably get a HAD myself :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back