Madonna has outsold Bowie!
Apr 18, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #61 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen with eyes closed about 90% of the time. If I am not prepared to give music my full attention, I don't bother listening on headphones at all.

But if you listen to Alizee with eyes closed then your are missing 99% of her value.

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #62 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt_wants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I adore everything up to Low and after that I can't bear myself to listen to anything other than the hits off of Best of Bowie.

How can you possibly like Low but not Heroes?
triportsad.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #63 of 70
I became a teenager in the 70's and was fortunate to do so. I grew up in Buffalo NY and had access to a great college radio station along with CFNY out of Toronto Canada. We also had some short lived progressive rock stations in Buffalo. It was a great time to have so much music that was yet to be tainted by programed radio. Sadly today you are fed what to like with no or little choice...some of it is good but you are subjected to demographics more than talent. I do enjoy getting turned on to music that I could not find on the radio by watching this forum. We must keep this going because there are thousands of artists out ther that are good to great that we will never here on the radio. Thanks folks......

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #64 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I became a teenager in the 70's and was fortunate to do so.

I think every era has its benefits. These are the days of the internet and true globalisation of information. I became a teenager in the 90's, and I discovered my chosen genre (actually... it probably picked me, rather than the other way around) through friends and tape swapping. I learned a little more, found some new bands, introduced them to some stuff... generally slowly and steadily grew. And then head-fi (and a couple of other boards) happened, and there's been an explosion of music that there is no possible way I would ever, ever have heard of otherwise. Kids that start getting into music now have so much accessability at their disposal. Not everyone listens to the radio as their sole source of music, and for them, there is more out there than ever before.

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #65 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think every era has its benefits. These are the days of the internet and true globalisation of information.....and there's been an explosion of music that there is no possible way I would ever, ever have heard of otherwise. Kids that start getting into music now have so much accessability at their disposal.

Yep. This really is a golden age in music. Virtually limitless accessibility to new music.

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #66 of 70
I was a teenager of the '70s too but how I discovered a lot of music that I preferred was by hanging out in underground clubs starting the early '80s. A lot of the music they played you had to go buy at an import record store because no where else sold it. Only radio stating that played that music was UBC radio station.

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #67 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakercj93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep. This really is a golden age in music. Virtually limitless accessibility to new music.

That's true...I didn't see it that way. As posted before, new music was found with others suggestions which is how I have found a few new bands here. In the spirit of my original post my point is the largest selling artists are still marketed to us. Hopefully the ability to obtain underground bands from the net will make the major labels to sit up and take notice. Ahhhh music
L3000.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #70 of 70
Talk about resurrecting an old thread.  

How is this hard to believe?  Madonna has staked her claim as a pop star back in 80's and kids buy pop and her original popularity created a legence of fans that would buy anything else she made moving forward.  Pop is where the record sales are.  Unfortunately that buying public's musical palate is typically quite shallow.

Someone earlier said “there are many injustices in the music industry” and that is SO true.   I guess with no real criteria for nominations on what is truly “great” music, agendas and political correctness get in the way and it becomes a “well, who sold more?”….which has almost ruined or dumbed down the music industry.  Perhaps people can still recognize what a good singer is but in terms of the whole ensemble and musical arrangememt and players talent,  (I think America) has gotten WAAY dumber in recognizing what good music is.  You can thank American Idol for perpetuating this. 

Besides, Bowie was more of a niche/cult following.  He couldn't compete with Justin Beeber in sales, recognition, polularity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back