Madonna has outsold Bowie!
Apr 9, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #31 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
She was just riding on the coat tails of the hipness of electronica in the 90s on that album IMO.

Which serves to illustrate her business acumen within the music industry and may be an indicator of why she outsells other, (better?) artists; it does not alter my belief that it is still a very good album.

Apr 10, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #32 of 70
It may be good IYO but it was not very original and borrowed heavily from electronica bands that invented that style of music so therefore certainly did not deserve any Grammy award. But then the people who dish out the awards are mainstream and don't have a clue as to what is really hip in music. The fact I now know she is a plagiarist gives full credibility to my dislike of her.

Apr 10, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #33 of 70
I'll go on record too and say that Ray of Light was her best album. I still listen to it.

Madonna?
Led Zeppelin?
Coldplay?
Michael Bolton?
Johnny Cash?
50 Cent?
Michael Jackson?
The Rolling Stones?
Britney Spears?
Bruce Springsteen?

ad nauseum.

All plagiarists.

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #34 of 70
Considering that Bowie has released nothing even half decent for the last 30 years, it seems to me that Madonna's quality control might be somewhat higher than the thin white duke's.

Edit:Actually "Reality" is half decent.

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #35 of 70
Or in other words, even though Madonna's music is not to my taste at all, even I can appreciate her business acumen, her ability to successfully work with high profile collaborators and at times to capture the popular musical mood perfectly, and yes ultimately, her well earned entertainer credentials.

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #36 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or in other words, even though Madonna's music is not to my taste at all, even I can appreciate her business acumen, her ability to successfully work with high profile collaborators and at times to capture the popular musical mood perfectly, and yes ultimately, her well earned entertainer credentials.

Well said…whatever you think of the outcome, she's always just kinda went for stuff. Here's a fairly recent sample that surprised me, because I'm a pretty big fan of the Gypsy punk band Gogol Bordello:

YouTube - Madonna feat Gogol Bordello - Live Earth London 2007-07-07

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #37 of 70
dont u guys remember mariah carey also broke some record last year?

Its good in a way...because i cant imagine seeing fans of such pop music adoring my genre of music..it would be an insult to me and my music.
biggrin.gif

because music in a way reflects personality also.

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #38 of 70
What does such a list really mean. It's just about money and the taste of the general public over time. Neither criteria has anything to do with the quality of the music. Madonna outselling Bowie, God! the list indicates that ABBA way outsold Pink Floyd...case closed...

Apr 11, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #40 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabrage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eww, I actually lost a little respect for Gogol Bordello.

Well, at the very least it was a worthy cause…
popcorn.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #41 of 70
Quote:

the list indicates that ABBA way outsold Pink Floyd

And rightfully so, since ABBA is second only to The Beatles as the greatest pop band that ever existed, IMHO.

Apr 12, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #42 of 70
No surprise really!
She have been massively popular for 25+ years and still go on as strong as ever.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back