Madison, WI meet?
Jul 7, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimothy
Wait, there's a Grado dealer in Madison?
eek.gif

*gets in car*

Haha, I live about 4 blocks from one. I plan on going down there this evening to check out turntables and audition the grado line (i've never heard them, eek!) I can't recall the name off hand, but it's on Monroe St, like 2 or 3 blocks south/southwest from Camp Randall, they do hi-fi speakers and buy and sell vintage/used home theater and audio.

And in regards to a Madison meet, I'm game. I got a DT880 I can bring, but no amps or DAC's or all that jazz yet. I don't have a car, so outside of the Madison area isn't good for me. And I HIGHLY support doing it at Memorial Union.

Jul 7, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
I might be interested, but I am really only interested in DIY stuff. If there are others willing to bring some DIY stuff (and not just a bunch of Pimeta/Millett/PPA/M3's) and make it, at least in part, a DIY meet, then I'm in.

For location, how about contacting University Audio or the place out on Gammon? The one on Gammon is a Grado dealer, so might be interested.

Isn't that place out on Gammon called Specialized Sound? If so, I went in there and didn't see any Grado's, though I was looking for bookshelf speakers...I love the look (and sound) of B&W!

Jul 7, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by SprySpectre
Haha, I live about 4 blocks from one. I plan on going down there this evening to check out turntables and audition the grado line (i've never heard them, eek!) I can't recall the name off hand, but it's on Monroe St, like 2 or 3 blocks south/southwest from Camp Randall, they do hi-fi speakers and buy and sell vintage/used home theater and audio.

And in regards to a Madison meet, I'm game. I got a DT880 I can bring, but no amps or DAC's or all that jazz yet. I don't have a car, so outside of the Madison area isn't good for me. And I HIGHLY support doing it at Memorial Union.

Hmmm I might just stop in there myself today...

Jul 7, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

That's Paragon! I'm also about 4 blocks from there! I bought an sr80 and some really nice bookshelves there. Check out the MB Quart stuff next time you're in.

I'd also be up for a Memorial Union meet. Unfortunately, I don't have much in the way of head-fi, just super.fi 3's. I've been selling everything off for guitar equipment. I would be interested in hearing some Beyerdynamics though (I've been eyeing those new 990's).

edit: I'd host it here, but my place isn't that big and my wonderful landlord has decided to tear up a bathroom for remodeling (for the past week and a half).

Jul 7, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Isn't that place out on Gammon called Specialized Sound? If so, I went in there and didn't see any Grado's, though I was looking for bookshelf speakers...I love the look (and sound) of B&W!

What's it like in there? I actually work at Music-Go-Round which is right next door, but I've never wandered into Specialized Sound. It's such a strange building: no windows, no parking lot. Very forboding.

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodacose
What's it like in there? I actually work at Music-Go-Round which is right next door, but I've never wandered into Specialized Sound. It's such a strange building: no windows, no parking lot. Very forboding.

It's "high class" in a sense. The salesman was a dick to me, but being a poorly dressed college kid, he knew I wasn't planning on buying anything. He was at least kind enough to let me listen for about 30 minutes though. They got some crazy stuff in there, and up close, those B&W 800's are orgasmic. They do kinda have a parking lot, it's just concealed in the back/side and hard to get to, and not very big...

Jul 12, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

What's it like in ... Specialized Sound.

I bought a set of bookshelf B&W's there about 12 years ago. I haven't bought anything since, but I do stop in to look around every couple of years. The guys who work there can be nice, but it has been the same 2 guys for a long time, and they do come off as a bit rehearsed. They are honest, and generally friendly, so it is worth a trip in.

Quote:

That's Paragon! I'm also about 4 blocks from there!

I'm not a fan of this place. However, if you are lucky the owner will show you his tube and antique hifi "museum" in the back which is very cool.

Quote:

Isn't that place out on Gammon called Specialized Sound? If so, I went in there and didn't see any Grado's,

I know I saw an RA-1 and maybe some phones in the case near the front door at some point in the last decade. Not sure if they still carry anything.

Back a few years ago there was a high end dealer on route 14 out near Black Earth that had lots of neat gear. I remember going out to hear some meridian stuff, and they had something like 10 seperate listening rooms. I don't know what ever happened to it.

Jul 12, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #24 of 54
Anyone ever been to or ordered from Full Compass? They don't have any pricing on their website because it must all be below MAP.

edit: If we can secure a location, we should definetly contact Full Compass about demoing equipment. They seem to have Beyerdynamic, AKG, Audio Technica, Shure, Sennheiser and Ultrasone headphones.

edit2: I took the liberty of contacting Full Compass to see if they would be interested in allowing us to demo some of their cans. We could have access to some great stuff; it could be a really good meet.

Jul 13, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Anyone ever been to or ordered from Full Compass? They don't have any pricing on their website because it must all be below MAP.

edit: If we can secure a location, we should definetly contact Full Compass about demoing equipment. They seem to have Beyerdynamic, AKG, Audio Technica, Shure, Sennheiser and Ultrasone headphones.

edit2: I took the liberty of contacting Full Compass to see if they would be interested in allowing us to demo some of their cans. We could have access to some great stuff; it could be a really good meet.

Sweet!

I hope this all happens before I head out east for college.
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #27 of 54
well...this is my last weekend here (going to lithuania). I'll be back begining of september for school, but I'll pretty much be gone for the next month or so.
so anyone up for a little mini-meet before I go? (I have a couple pairs of cans on loan from someone else that I need to send back before I leave.)

Jul 16, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #28 of 54
I also live in Madison. Paragon is a nice store, but the owner can be a bit "in your face at times".

I highly encourage people to check out University Audio on Park Street. All of the sales people are very nice and patient. I bought a couple of pairs of Grados from them, and just picked up a Cambridge Azur 640 amp for $400, which is a pretty good deal. I think they still have another one or two. They carry Grados (60s-325's) and a couple paris of Senns. They carry home theater stuff, but also have some great 2 channel equipment - Paradigm, Totem, Thiel, Martin Logan, Musical Fidelity, Krell, Rega, Cambridge, etc. I like it there!

In response to the place in Cross Plains, it was called Audiophiles and burned down two years ago. Too bad - they were a Dynaudio dealer.

Jul 17, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

Thanks so much for your email. We would be quite interested in
participating with your group.

How many would be in attendance? (I know this might be a bit of a guess)
What is the date and location? It might be possible to have Full Compass
provide the meeting location. We have a large studio that can
accommodate some 35 folks comfortably.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

huzzah!

so we need to solidify a date.

edit: I usually work Sun-Tues. Pretty much any other time would work. No huge plans for the weekends right now, I may be gone July 28-29, but it is an impromptu camping trip and not yet for sure.

edit2: I am going to the Black Crowes concert in Milwaukee on the 3rd of August too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back