made my own triple fi cable with iPhone remote and mic the easy way
May 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

magicman1028

New Head-Fier
got tired of waiting for someone to make a cable like this with the volume control and mic so i made one from spare parts, its my first ever diy cable,didn't think i was up to the task of soldering tiny pins so i did it the cheap way and soldered the wires together at the middle instead. what do you guys think?

May 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 9
haha to funny! Nice work.  It's sad that you had to substitute the gold jack for the cheap ipod 3.5mm. On a side note.  You can get cables with a mic on them.
frown.gif

May 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 9
i would have loved to put a custom plug but the TRRS plug isn't easily found in radioshack, had to order one from hong kong on ebay. the sound is pretty smooth though, i wanted to make one from scratch but I'm not too sure how to wire the remote, its one extra wire but i don't know what type of wire gauge to use for triple fi.

May 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
I'm going to make one with a skull candy cable next so it looks much nicer

you can actually modify a westone epic cable to fit into the TF10 slot.  They do make them with a mic and control talk options!

May 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 9
Improved my design on the cable to make it look nicer, stripped out the pins from my original stock cable then used silver solder to attach them, then hot glue and heat shrink to finish off the plugs. The trick is to use a fresh soldering tip and .015 mm silver solder, anything thicker and it'll take forever to stick. i was messing with cheap solder for 4 days, bought the new stuff and it worked in 3 minutes.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 9
Can this be done with any headphones?  How big of a part does the cable play in terms of sound quality?  I've got $10 skullcandy headphones with remote/mic.  Can I just lop off the earphones and replace them with higher quality ones, like my old Atrio m5's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back