Made it into...
Feb 27, 2008 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Bizzel

1000+ Head-Fier
Durham university to study software engineering! I just got my letter through this morning and I couldn't be happier (or luckier, for that matter). It's a really beautiful area and I could tell as soon as the train pulled in that I was going to like it - it just felt like home already. Take a look at the place: Virtual tours : What's Durham like as a place? - Durham University

I'll be going there in October when I finish my current job. Can't wait!

Feb 27, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 21
I think I'm better than me.

Congrats Bizzel. Although I've never understood the term software engineering. Its not like there's pencils or concrete or scaffolding involved. Why can't it just be called programming?

Feb 27, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why can't it just be called programming?

That's an interesting question. I think the word "engineering" is often used to imply planning before implementation. A tinkerer tries something four or five times and eventually gets it to work, whereas an engineer maps out his plan of attack beforehand, and succeeds the first time (ideally). I have a lot friends who are very skilled programmers, but they are more tinkerers than engineers. I suppose it's a fine line though.

Feb 28, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 21
[size=x-large]CONGRATS!!!! GOOD STUFF!!!![/size]
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjohnso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's an interesting question. I think the word "engineering" is often used to imply planning before implementation. A tinkerer tries something four or five times and eventually gets it to work, whereas an engineer maps out his plan of attack beforehand, and succeeds the first time (ideally). I have a lot friends who are very skilled programmers, but they are more tinkerers than engineers. I suppose it's a fine line though.

software engineers are more process oriented (= more documentation
mad.gif
)

Feb 28, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is Durham University? I know there is UNC, Duke and NC State in the area. Is this some other kind of institution in the Research Triangle?

I think this maybe Durham in the UK? Not RTP. Bizzel has a UK location.

Congratulations Bizzel.

cheers
Simon

Feb 28, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Although I've never understood the term software engineering. Its not like there's pencils or concrete or scaffolding involved. Why can't it just be called programming?

Simple, softe's use Windows, comp sci uses Linux.

(This is coming from a CS student)

Feb 28, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Why can't it just be called programming?

At my uni engineering has steeper math and pure science requirement.

edit:8:00am is worse but if you just went to sleep on time It wouldn't be a big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back