Made a cool BINAURAL recording today...
Jun 17, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Phloodpants
Phidauex, I am 6'6" tall, I have a larger head than most humanoids, blond/brown hair (shaggy at the moment) that is receding faster than civil rights in America.

Amen about the civil rights comment.

I guess this receding hairline explains your obession with Eraserhead?

Jun 17, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

I made this recording with my trusty Marantz PMD-650 and a pair of tiny omnidirectional mic capsules stuck in my ear canals.

What brand mikes are you using? Can you describe you equipment a little bit more?

I think you may have interested me in a new hobby! (thanks alot! My wife's gonna love it! $$$)

Thanks,

Jun 17, 2002 at 9:16 PM Post #18 of 25
I'm using a pair of Panasonic WM-61 omnidirectional condenser capsules. They are about the size of a small aspirin. I take a yellow foam squishy earplug, cut it in half and burn a hole for the capsule to fit inside with a soldering iron. A little super glue holds it in place. I stick the whole thing inside my ear, flush with the opening of the ear canal.

I bought a pair of super cheap earbuds to cannibalize them for their thin and flexible cable. (wish my Ety's had similar!)

The capsules are available from Digikey for a few bucks each. They are almost perfectly flat in frequency response and are very sensitive and low-noise. In fact, they are used in many high dollar omni recording and instumentation microphones such as those used to test speaker systems.
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...61_a_b_dne.pdf

To power the mics (they are condensers) I use a simple battery box with this circuit inside...

http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/c..._powering.html
(under the heading of "Battery powered electret microphone".)

This runs unbalanced to my Minidisc recorder, which is no problem, as it's only a few feet. No noise is picked up even though it's not balanced. In fact, it's probably quieter than a balanced transistor circuit could acheive.

My MD recorder is a Marantz PMD-650, which is a pro quality field recorder. http://www.marantzpro.com/Marantz/PMD650/index.htm
It's tough as nails and the sound quality is wonderful. The ATRAC compression is undetectable and I can prove that if you'd like to see a thread I did at Homerecording.com. I posted a CD track versus an ATRAC encoded version of the same thing. People thought the MD was the original!

Jun 17, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

I was up in Wisconsin today visiting my parents...

that was all i needed to read before i knew that you had been amazingly bored and did something really cool with your time. downloaded it today, can't wait to listen to it tomorrow!

Jun 20, 2002 at 6:29 PM Post #21 of 25
Very cool stuff ... played this for my fiancee and she was looking around for the birds and such.
biggrin.gif

Any chance you can provide some pics of your gear or more info / links? I think I'd like to do this a bit on my honeymoon in a month.

Sep 10, 2002 at 8:11 PM Post #24 of 25
This thread gave me extra incentive to get my binaural recording project underway, so I'm adding my (single day of) experience here.

Locating Microphone Capsules
I had been planning to get into binaural recording for several weeks but found it impossible to purchase Panasonic (or any other) microphone capsules here, even in Akihabara which is supposedly the electronics mecca of the world. Everyone sells the same four or five brands of made-up microphones at identical prices. Chasing Matsu****a/Panasonic directly revealed that I would be able to purchase microphone capsules provided I wanted to order at least two- or three-thousand. Maybe next time...

So I decided to buy a consumer mic and plunder its capsules. I had wanted to avoid the cheapest tie-clip microphones if possible since they are only rated down to 100 Hz and I already have an old Sony tie-clip mic which is seriously lacking bass. However, I figured the capsules in Panasonic's tie-clip mic may be identical to the WM-61A which everyone raves about and which supposedly goes down to 20 Hz. [Maybe the difference depends on how it is mounted]. At about the same time, Audio-Technica released a new tie-clip microphone with a back-electret condenser capsule so I went to an electronics store where there were subwoofers in action and helped myself, unwrapping one of each of the majors' tie-clip microphones and recording them on my portable MD.

Testing Tie-Clip Microphones
There was a Sharp MC-TS1,
op-mc-ts1.gif

the Audio-Technica AT9830,
9830.jpg

a Panasonic RP-VC200
RP-VC200_w.jpg

and an Aiwa CM-S220,
cm-s220_m220.jpg

in increasing order of price from around 1,000 to 2,000 yen.

I found a quiet place to listen back to the recordings and evaluate the microphones (using a demo set of Sony R10's at a different store, but that's another story
smily_headphones1.gif
). The A-T mic was the most sensitive and had a darker tone, seeming to pick up the low freq's well, but there was something a bit harsh in the top end. [No such thing as burn-in for microphones, right?] In fact there was only one mike which didn't seem rough in the treble, and it turned out to be the Panasonic. Somehow it caught the ambience of the store unlike the other mic's, but what really jumped out at me, even on the first hearing, was how well it captured my voice. During the recordings I had made a little announcement for each mike to prevent confusion over which was which. This turned out to be a great idea, since your own voice gives perhaps the best reference point for how natural a microphone sounds. Concerns about bass response were discarded for the realistic sound of the Panasonic, which I went back and purchased.

Removing the Capsules
Next problem though was to get the capsules out of the casing. Not trivial! Let's just say that the photo above would be the "before" picture.
eek.gif
I had to pry away (and destroy) the metal screen first. Inside, the capsules looked quite fragile in their thin aluminium housings, which were firmly glued to the plastic casing with contact adhesive. I had to basically slice the casing away with a modelling knife, which was a thorough pain-in-the-@ss. [If you can get capsules separately, don't even think about dismantling an off-the-shelf microphone].

The capsules are 9.5mm diameter and 7mm deep, and are stamped "WD" on the side. [Definitely not the WM-61A which is only 6mm x 3.4mm]. Any larger and these would not go in my ears. I desoldered and modified the cable into a Y shape and taped the cable along the side of each capsule, with an appropriate bend to go up and over the ear to reduce cord microphonics.

Test Recording
Let the fun begin! I did all the normal things you might do at this point - wandered around the house, put some music on the stereo, pulled the cat's tail (joke
tongue.gif
), went for a walk outside, etc. All I can say is that if you have ever wondered about making your own binaural recording, you simply must do it. Do it right now, this week! It is that good. I managed to get the felt covers of the capsules almost flush across my earholes and the imaging was truly superb. I tried covering the backs of the capsules with foam pads (from earbuds). This gave a more comfortable and secure fit but seemed to increase the cord microphonics and bass noise as I was walking about, and also made my voice sound muffled. There are vents in the back of the capsules. I might try blocking them off, which I imagine will fix the funny voice effect but may also alter the bass response.

Which Headphones?
Here's another tip. I found that earbuds (MX400) recreated the 3D sound sensation much better than full-size cans (HD580). My theory is that you only want to allow your ears to shape the sound once. If you play back on cans then you get secondary ear effects telling your brain that there's a pair of headphones on your head. Just a theory, but I'd recommend earbuds or canal phones for best binaural imaging.

Can't wait to get a chance to record some acoustic instruments, a street festival, whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back