Mad Dog Pro or Hifiman HE-400
Mar 17, 2014 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

hardRocker1423

New Head-Fier
I am currently looking to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD439s. After looking, and researching for a couple days, I have narrowed it down to either the Hifiman HE-400 or the Mad Dog Pros (These are new, and are a sort of cross between the originals and the Alpha Dogs). I will most probably get the Fiio e12 amplifier to drive them. 

I would only use them to listen to music. I listen to mostly rock, any rock really, from 80's rock to modern stuff like Paramore or Within Temptation. I listen to almost all either 320kb/s or lossless music. I am not a basshead, I like a more neutral sound, so that I can eq it later if I so wish. 

All I was wanting to know which one of them would be better for rock music, especially modern rock. right now, I'm slightly leaning towards the Mad Dogs as I could swap them in later for the Alpha Dogs for only $300 more, but any opinions/ recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks!!

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 30
  The above: matter of opinion

OK, maybe if you're a basshead
wink.gif
; otherwise, it's true. (And it's probably the physics in both cases.)

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 30
I'd say the MD 3.2 sounds more balanced compared the HE-400, which has a V-ish shaped signature. The upper mids of the HE-400 are a little hollowed out and has an annnoying tizziness in the treble (which you can EQ/mod), while the mids of the MD are what I'd consider its strong suit, with a smoother and more balanced treble

Why not try both, and return the one you like less?

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 30
MD is smooth, dark, and warm--but it's not balanced.

HE400 isn't balanced either. It's lively though: the bigger driver gives it a solid (thick?) sound but without the usual planar darkness.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 30
I'd definitely say that if you plan to upgrade later, the Alpha Dog is one of the most neutral planars you can get. 

The MDP and HE-400 definitely sound different from each other, so it really comes down to preference. Dan has a great 15-day return policy for the MDP's, and you can probably score the HE-400's off Amazon with their great return policy as well.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 30
As a side note, I'm a metalhead with the MDP's, and they're EXCELLENT for Rock/Metal. If you want to PM me and have me listen to a few songs with them, I'd be happy to.

Note, however, that HE-400 is also known as a great metal can (bar the treble), so you won't be losing much either way!

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #12 of 30
  As a side note, I'm a metalhead with the MDP's, and they're EXCELLENT for Rock/Metal. If you want to PM me and have me listen to a few songs with them, I'd be happy to.

Note, however, that HE-400 is also known as a great metal can (bar the treble), so you won't be losing much either way!

Hey vaed, have you listened to the MD 3.2 as well?

I'm a metalhead and wondering which would be better for metal...MDP or MD 3.2?

Thanks

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #13 of 30
The HE-400 is known to have distorted midrange, which is corrected in the new HE-400i.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #14 of 30
The HE-400 is known to have distorted midrange, which is corrected in the new HE-400i.

I notice your use of the passive "is." Have you actually listened both of them? There's nothing wrong with the mids on HE400. It's the treble people complain about.

OP, since you listen to metal, I have to ask if you're interested Grados.

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #15 of 30
I notice your use of the passive "is." Have you actually listened both of them? There's nothing wrong with the mids on HE400. It's the treble people complain about.

OP, since you listen to metal, I have to ask if you're interested Grados.

I dunno why everyone says that. Grados have such a hard drop-off in the bass that metal only works if you don't care about hearing the bass guitar or kick drum. The PS500 was pretty dang good, but the RS1i was horrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back