MacBookPro > ??? > Audiotailor Jade > DT990
Mar 23, 2010 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bpj87

New Head-Fier
I have decided that an upgrade from my M-Audio Fast Track Pro DAC is in order. I am looking for something that not only complements my current gear but also will stand up to future amp and can upgrades.

While quality to price ratio is more of a concern than absolute price, I'd like to keep this purchase solidly in the three figure range. With that in mind, I have found the following as options:

Audio-GD DAC19 (DF or DSP)
CA DacMagic
MF V-DAC
other???

I'd like to add a speaker amp in the future, so more than one output is a plus. Do I just bite the bullet and go with the DAC-19 DSP, which is purportedly significantly better than the DacMagic and others in the ~$500 range?
confused_face(1).gif

Thanks for your advice!
beyersmile.png

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 6
Hmm... Now I am intrigued by the Meier StageDAC. Based on my research, am I wrong in saying that the Audio-GD DAC-19 DSP probably edges the Meier in clarity and detail?

I have never experienced the Meier crossfeed feature. I apologize for the conjecture, but it seems that it can better simulate being at the live performance. However, if such were the case, and the feature is that compelling, I would expect more hi-end systems to use it. So is it really worth going for the Meier based on this feature alone?

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 6
I've had the MF V-Dac and the CA Dacmagic at the same time. For my use, I went with the Dacmagic, and sold the V-Dac. Both are very good at their price point and above. I prefer the form factor and the connectivity of the Dacmagic, and the sound is just a bit less bright than the V-Dac, which suits me better. The filter also allows a bit of tailoring of the sound, which I enjoy. Just my opinion, of course. I read a number of opinions that agreed, and a number to the contrary with these two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back