Macbook + uDAC + amp setup
Jun 3, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:
If that were the case, wouldn't the volume knob stop working when output to the amp? The volume knob adjusts the volume whether outputting via the headphone jack or RCA for me.

That's correct, ROBSCIX is mistaken.  The RCAs are supposed to be volume controlled.

Edit: According to Nuforce, you're supposed to set the RCA volume level at 'whatever volume optimizes your amp'.  So try different levels, and see if it starts to sound better.  As long as there is no distortion, there's no other volume you can't try.

What amp are you using in conjunction with it, by the by?

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #17 of 25
Assuming you are using USB as your output from your mac, the volume of the mac should not matter because you are bypassing the internal DAC/amp for the external one.  From there use the RCA [red, white] for your output to the amp.  Turing the volume knob to off sets it to output through coaxial.

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:
Assuming you are using USB as your output from your mac, the volume of the mac should not matter because you are bypassing the internal DAC/amp for the external one.  From there use the RCA [red, white] for your output to the amp.  Turing the volume knob to off sets it to output through coaxial.

For one, you can still change the digital volume on your computer, but should have it maxed.  For two, the RCA outputs are controlled by the volume knob on the uDAC.  This is intended.

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #19 of 25

Quote:
For one, you can still change the digital volume on your computer, but should have it maxed.  For two, the RCA outputs are controlled by the volume knob on the uDAC.  This is intended.

I thought that using USB bypasses the "software" based volume control in OSX. 

I know that about the RCA connects, I was talking about the orange s/pdif output.

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #20 of 25

Quote:

Including the player software and the external amp, that makes four volume controls, which is at least two too many. Ideally there should be only one digital and one mechanical volume control, too much redundancy can cause problems in the signal path. It would be better if the uDac disabled the system volume and had the option for a fixed line out, IMHO.

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:
Including the player software and the external amp, that makes four volume controls, which is at least two too many. Ideally there should be only one digital and one mechanical volume control, too much redundancy can cause problems in the signal path. It would be better if the uDac disabled the system volume and had the option for a fixed line out, IMHO.

In theory, the digital volume is only in effect if it's at a volume less than 100%.  So you can count it 'disabled' as long as both iTunes (or any other media player) and the OS volume are at 100%.

Jun 4, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #22 of 25
Yep, the udac bypasses the main system volume and sets it at its highest, and I leave whatever program I'm using to play with (itunes for mp3, Play for flac) at highest volume, then I've been toggling the udac's volume in conjunction with the amp's to find what sounds best. Of course, when I output to my Audioengine speakers, it's one more volume knob, but I try and keep that fixed and adjust the amp and udac primarily.  

The amp is a Cute Beyond.

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #23 of 25
One thing that I found is that the iTunes equalizer works even when I have the uDAC is online. If the equalizer is turned on and the preamp setting is cranked up, you can get distortion that sounds a lot like clipping even when the amplifiers volume is turned down. 

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #24 of 25

Quote:
One thing that I found is that the iTunes equalizer works even when I have the uDAC is online. If the equalizer is turned on and the preamp setting is cranked up, you can get distortion that sounds a lot like clipping even when the amplifiers volume is turned down. 

Yeah, itunes volume and EQ settings are different from the MBPs volume controls, so they still function. I never use EQ, though. 

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #25 of 25
What software are you using? I use ASIO4ALL in foobar and I can reverse the channels by setting the wrong channel when I go into ASIO's settings. And the 'digital' volume should always be set to the max, while the analog can be changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back