macbook pro upgrade sound please help !!!
Feb 3, 2010 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

diegomx

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to the forum, I'm from Argentina and write English badly, so I apologize in advance.
I have many doubts, so I will first describe my team.

- NAD C272 amplifier
- Cables: monster and some better.
- Speakers: JBL E80 and I buy jbl ES100 or similar brief to enhance the bass.
- Apple macbook pro 2.53 with leopard 10.6.2
- Future purchase: NAD C162 or NAD C165 (preamp)

Problem: I dislike the sound output from the macbook pro. I also have a thinkpad t43 with a Creative Audigy zs pcmcia and sound output quality is much higher than my macbook pro playing from the same source (mp3 320, wav, etc.)

I thought getting a m-audio transit, but I slow down a bit because it seemed too cheap (I trust no trinkets), I started reading the forum for you and now I have more doubts, hahaha.

I'm watching:
-e-mu 040 usb
-e-mu tracker pre
-micro dac or similar, do not quite understand this issue ..

In my case, I'm not interested at all connect any instruments, I just want to improve the audio quality coming out of my macbook pro with the best possible at a reasonable price, osea, I would spend less than 500 usd.

Thank you very much ....

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 21
I know this is *way* cheaper than your budget, but the Nuforce uDac could be a nice option, since you'll get a portable headphone amp in case you ever want to take the Macbook Pro around. It apparently competes around the level of 400 dollar DACs - I just got one and think its pretty awesome. If you do want to spend around your budget, I've heard good things about the Cambridge DacMagic as well...

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is *way* cheaper than your budget, but the Nuforce uDac could be a nice option, since you'll get a portable headphone amp in case you ever want to take the Macbook Pro around. It apparently competes around the level of 400 dollar DACs - I just got one and think its pretty awesome. If you do want to spend around your budget, I've heard good things about the Cambridge DacMagic as well...

Thanks for answering so fast. The DacMagic Cambridge is a bit expensive, I can afford it anyway. It's really much better than an e-mu 0404 USB or some other usb sound card?. On the other hand, does not interest me in the least that the system is portable. This only what I use in my house, I do not put music in other places.

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #4 of 21
Since your MBP has optical output, which is pretty uncommon for a laptop, you might want to find a DAC that supports it - like the iBasso D10 - rather than using USB.

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since your MBP has optical output, which is pretty uncommon for a laptop, you might want to find a DAC that supports it - like the iBasso D10 - rather than using USB.

Forgive the ignorance, but as I connect the analog ibasso to nadc272 (which has RCA inputs) ?

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #7 of 21
I am almost decided to buy the Cambridge Audio DacMagic, I read several reviews, including from adiophile.com and convinced me enough. It is a good option? really going to change much the sound when you connect it to my macbook pro and out into the amp nad? I ask this because for me (I live in Argentina) are 400 usd to 1600 usd you
smily_headphones1.gif
. On the other hand, where I buy the cable I need to connect the digital output of my macbook pro to dacmagic? as the name of that cable? this cable is NOT the same as the typical headphone cable does not? thanks

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #9 of 21
Hi Diego, nice to see you on HF.
smily_headphones1.gif

You need a mini-optical to Toslink cable. Edit: Just saw your post -- don't worry too much about the brand. If using USB is ok (that is, you don't need better than CD quality output) then maybe Headamp's Pico DAC would be a good idea, as it's in budget, even after shipping, and has a great reputation as having good quality sound (though admittedly I've never used one).

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 21
I do not understand, how can the dacmagic play the sound that takes my macbook pro (connected via usb) without using a driver???. And secondly, how you can change both the sound with a DAC??? if I use any DAC with my macbook pro, as I will be using the soundcard of the mac or not?, it is better to use a DAC and an external sound card too? say, the digital output to the DAC and thence to a plate as the EMU 0404 is better or that I'm not saying one estupides?. Why is it better for example, using a DAC cambridge who, rightly, a DAC is ONLY an external sound card like a 0404?

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 21
I use a macbook pro out to an iBasso D10 via optical and/or USB. It does not require any drivers but uses interfaces built into OSX. When you output to the DAC it doesn't go through the Mac's soundcard but takes the digital signal from whatever software you're using as a player (I use VLC and iTunes) and sends it directly to the DAC. You can configure the output via the Mac's Audio Midi Setup utility (I set it to be 16-bit 44.1khz because all my music is 44.1 flacs). The Mac makes it very easy to manage all this.

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by stringgz301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a macbook pro out to an iBasso D10 via optical and/or USB. It does not require any drivers but uses interfaces built into OSX. When you output to the DAC it doesn't go through the Mac's soundcard but takes the digital signal from whatever software you're using as a player (I use VLC and iTunes) and sends it directly to the DAC. You can configure the output via the Mac's Audio Midi Setup utility (I set it to be 16-bit 44.1khz because all my music is 44.1 flacs). The Mac makes it very easy to manage all this.

And when you put this DAC noticed a major difference?

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #13 of 21
Huge. Night and day. Worth every penny.

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #15 of 21
Hi Diego,

I also have a NAD power / Macbook pro setup. I recently purchased a Xiang Sheng Dac-01 (like the Grant Fidelity Dac-09 at $300 or Maverick Magic Dac - around US$200). It's a Dac/preamp with Solid State (Transistor) output and Tube output. It greatly improved the sound from my laptop and my budget system. I tried USB and Optical out directly from the laptop and optical out of an older Airport Express B/G. I like the sound via optical even though some on Head-Fi claim USB is the way to go. Any digital connection method much better than without a DAC so I settled on this setup:

Macbook pro wirelessly transmitting to AP express. AP express connected via Toslink-mini optical cable into the Dac-01. This is also for convenience as I could noit tell a huge difference between optical out of the MBP and the optical output of my AP express.

My Sony DVD Player/SA-CD is connected via Belden 1694A coax and my analog out from my playstation 1 (the "Audiophile" one) as it has no digital output. Same goes for my ipod dock.

I prefer the Solid State output to the tube (JAN 5670) output as the NAD is already warm enough for me through my Celestion speakers. I will try rolling other tubes but for now SS output rocks.

If I had to buy a DAC/Preamp now I would go for the Maverick as it seems to have better costomer service which is an issue with most Chinese companies. At $200 you get a lot for the money. I don't believe I would recommend spending more for a DAC with the system you are describing (a bit like mine...).

If you already have a good preamp you could just go for a DAC like the CA Magicdac but if you need a Dac/preamp with volume control and the ability to connect multiple sources (digital and analog) I would recommend it. I wish it had a remote control for volume...

If you are looking for a portable headphone solution the Pico DAC looks good but I have not tried it yet.

I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back