Macbook Pro-No Sound
Mar 13, 2007 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

juzmister

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey,
well a few nights ago I plugged in my external monitor, there was a spark,and since then the sound has not worked on my computer.

The computer makes a boot tone when it starts up, any ideas before I send it in for warranty repair?

Thanks,
Justin.

Mar 13, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 14
If that's the cause then you can be certain that the damage is physical. The boot tone probably comes from an internal speaker on the motherboard, instead of the main one. I did the same thing to my onboard sound, playing with the cables of my speakers still there was a spark. PC shut down and when I turned it on, the front 2 channels were gone
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 14
Lol that sucks, the optical is connected to the onboard, so I guess it's warranty replacement time. I wonder if they will fix it...

Mar 16, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 14
I'f you haven't tried it yet, hold the F5 key down in an application in which you would normally have sound. Sometimes mine resets for no particular reason and this brings it back. Of course I've never seen sparks...

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for the help. F5 was a no go, it must be some sort of a hardware issue. I guess I will get it repaired over the break.

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 14
The boot tone comes through the internal amp and speakers. Your problem may be in the sound preference pane. Check to see if output is routed to the internal speakers.

See ya
Steve

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 14
Try plugging and unplugging headphones a few times and see if that brings the sound back. If not, it's probably time for a service call.

See ya
Steve

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 14
you could also check Audio MIDI Setup in /applications/utilities (if this is installed on your system, i think its part of the default install, but my memory is poor...) try changing bitrate, volume, check output is set to the right thing etc.

failing that, i agree that sparks == hardware failure, hopefully they will fix it under warranty.

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'f you haven't tried it yet, hold the F5 key down in an application in which you would normally have sound. Sometimes mine resets for no particular reason and this brings it back. Of course I've never seen sparks...

My girlfriend always complains about her Macbook Pro not playing sounds randomly. I think she even sent it for servicing once
blink.gif
I'll definitely pass this tip along, thanks!

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #12 of 14
No speakers listed in Audio midi setup, it must have gone when the spark happened. I guess it goes to applecare over the break...

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #14 of 14
^yikes,

mine sometimes will not have sound but I usually reboot/restart to fix and recycle the system!
Wayne, I will keep your F5 trick in mind going forward for the future, hope the OP gets his PC fixed, report bac with feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

Back