Macbook Pro --> ??? ---> HD 650s: Nuforce Icon HD or ODAC + O2 amp or...?
Mar 2, 2013 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bombo

New Head-Fier
I'm an entry level audiophile, so am looking for a great "bang for buck" AMP / DAC combo to start, and these 2 seem very renowned for that from my research.  Budget is sub $500.  I travel a lot so size and weight is a factor also, but if the quality of a larger heavier combo blows these 2 options away that's fine also.  

Thanks a lot!

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 6
Will they be powered from U.S. power plugs? Are you okay with rubber-banding a DAC to an amp when you travel to keep them together?

Modi/Magni is $198 + shipping.

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Will they be powered from U.S. power plugs? Are you okay with rubber-banding a DAC to an amp when you travel to keep them together?

Modi/Magni is $198 + shipping.

Either US (when in Asia) or Australian plugs, I have many adapters though so that's not a problem.  Voltage will be ~240V in all countries I'm in.  Rubber banding is fine.  I'll check those out thanks!

Quote:
Dare I suggest a Meridian Explorer with your cans?

Wow that looks incredible!  The lack of a required power source is a huge plus too, and I guess I can live with the lack of volume control on them and use software.  How do they compare in sound to the Nuforce Icon HD / ODac and O2?

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 6
It's a brand new product, and I am not long enough in this game to make comparisons, but as a musician, I can tell you that as a dedicated DAC, it sounds wonderfully musical.  And from my understand, the worries that some people have about the headphone amp won't be a problem with your particular headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back