macbook pro driving which headphones.
Sep 20, 2009 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

woolnerc

Head-Fier
iv got a new 17 mbp
looking to pair it up with some decent cans, maybe grado's
heres my question, spend all my cash on maybe some grado 325is
or split the cash and get 125i with an ibasso amp/dac d10 or d2.
also like the senn 650's

would like to be able to use my ipod with them.
any ideas or proven set ups
thanks.

Sep 20, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 16
Before you invest in a new setup, I suggest you try out iTunes, experiment with EQ settings, and especially Sound Enhancer. It's not widely known that Apple systems are unusually strong with music and sound, and you might be fine just as they are.

As for iPod, you probably know that you're limited to the EQ settings included in the iPod - which should be enough for most listeners.

For the HD650, you'll need an amp to make the sound louder and fuller. Personally, I like the more analytical sound of the K701 or the '03 DT880 with the Mac, but you may find your preferences different than mine.

Sep 20, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 16
All I can tell you is what I found works for me w/ALum Macbook I bought when they first hit the marketplace. Using P51 Mustang -> v.3 Darths (w/one open hole on left ear blocked), and at home have also been using Pico dac -> K.I.C.A.S. Caliente -> Grado RS-1

Sep 20, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 16
What type of music do you listen to?
What's your budget?

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 16
what type of music, well iv now near 500gig of music from rock, jazz, break beats, classical ambient, to be honest anything to everything.
my budget is well 500 pounds (800 usd ish but electronic are near enough 1;1 so more like 500usd).

like grado had a pair of 80s.

seen sum 325is for 310 GBP and a ibasso d10 for 275 GBP. but that is pushing my wallet.(the mbp 17 all ready put it on its knees)
is there a case of demished returns here, is the extra cash really worth it for exsmple
some 125i and ibasso d2 ?

sorry i keep using grado i know i asked for decent cans in general, just was looking at them last, thats all.
others that tiped my interest are the denon d200, k701/702,

ps, the store i was lookin at for this was hifi headphones co uk. if there is a cheaper one for the uk mention it.

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 16
when you only use the macbook, then a Grado Sr80 or sr 125 is good, the sound board in the mac is no high-end sound board, but if you want real good sound . then a external dac with a good set of cans is a better option,
i'm using a Dacmacic with a Lehmann Rhinelander headphone amp and a set of AGK k701 and Senn HD600. But there are other AMP/DAC sets for use with the AKG or the Senn, look around , and when you have the chance : listen to a set in the store.

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A little over budget, but ATH-AD2000?.

I find my MBP headphone out quite decent.

The AD2000 really need a amp to sound good, maybe not so much like the W5000 but still highly recommended.

Unamped, I find SRH840 really good, even straight from a iPod.

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #11 of 16
thanks for the replies, BUT my question was more aimed at proven set up's using a portable amp/dac and headphones with my mbp.
and would i be better off spending all one head phones or both.
thanks again keep posting, im listening

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by woolnerc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pulled the trigger on a set of grado 325is and a ibasso D10.
prob gonna use my mbp"s optical in the d10.
arrives tomorrow. cant wait as is first proper headphone setup.

You will be so satisfied with your choice. I love the d10 hooked via optical to my Macbook with my 325is'. I use the same combo with an ipod when I want to get a little more portable and it sounds nearly as good.

You'll have nice upgrade options later. I enjoyed this setup (and still do), then later got the LD MKIII with k701s - using the d10 as a dac only with my LD and k701s and the Macbook - true bliss!

Sep 24, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by woolnerc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pulled the trigger on a set of grado 325is and a ibasso D10.
prob gonna use my mbp"s optical in the d10.
arrives tomorrow. cant wait as is first proper headphone setup.

My SR-325i took about 200 hours to burn-in, and I was a little disappointed that they dropped some bass quantity after burn-in. The D10 sounded nice out of the box and doesn't change a lot in sound signature with burn-in, but 250-300 hours does help with the soundstage and transparency. Be sure to check out the big D10 thread for opamp suggestions if you decide to alter the stock sound from being a Predator clone.

In response to the guy who recommended AD2000, I found they sound best with a nice amp. Still, when I traded my SR-325i + cash for a re-cabled AD2000 I soon wished I still had the 325's as I liked them just a little more. Since I had re-cabled RS-1 already I decided not to buy another SR-325i, so if you don't like the 325's that would be one upgrade path (or find a used HF-2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back