Macbook Pro Audio - Any good? Any Way to Improve?
Mar 29, 2008 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

TheNewGuy8

Head-Fier
I'll be getting my first set of ~nice cans soon, and I'm wondering - my main source of audio for now is going to be a Macbook Pro. Is there an asymptote I should be aware of in terms of the output of the MBP not being improved (and perhaps made to sound worse) by nicer cans?

Like, $100 cans would sound nice, but $500 cans would just point out some of the flaws of the MBP audio - does that make sense?

Also - is there a way to improve the MBP's audio? I found an old USB soudcard - the M-Audio USB. And it works, and I do hear a difference, but it eats up a consistent 30% CPU. it is old though, so newer ones may be better.

Mar 29, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 42
macs actually have pretty decent "integrated" sq from the headphone jack. you would start to hear a difference after a while (in terms of pricing of headphones)
but if you could access usb audio, that would be a lot better, cause then the quality will of course increase.

Mar 29, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 42
Your headphone out sucks a bit less than from many other laptops (no electrical interference). But it colors the sound, it's especially evident on bass heavy cans.

I've not experienced any particular cpu load with my 0404usb, but if you do you can switch to optical out.

Mar 29, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... but if you could access usb audio, that would be a lot better ...

..or even better, Firewire (which I believe all Macs have, except for the sorry excuse for a laptop that is called MacBook Air). Firewire is much less taxing on the system (it doesn't depend on the CPU like USB does), and gets a much much stable transfer rate (which is higher than what USB2.0 manages, even though USB has a higher theoretical transfer rate). This may apply more on external HDDs (where you can have a completely stable transfer rate while doing other stuff on the computer - impossible with USB), but Firewire is definitely to prefer when it comes to audio as well.

Mar 29, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 42
The caveat being most firewire interfaces are designed with studios or professionals in mind and so provide more functionality than you might need or want to pay for. The M-Audio Firewire Audiophile or Solo are decent, affordable units though, the former oriented towards dj'ing, the latter towards musicians/home studios.

Mar 29, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #6 of 42
The MacBook Pro's headphone out is decent.
But if you seek higher audio quality you might want to look into an external DAC and dedicated headphone amplifier.

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #7 of 42
Flavour of the month has been the Apogee Duet, which opens up the soundstage compared to the built-in headphone output. It's US$499 though, so not cheap, but has a headphone out that will drive many headphones quite well, though not as well as a proper amp. Connection is via Firewire.

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnemonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The caveat being most firewire interfaces are designed with studios or professionals in mind and so provide more functionality than you might need or want to pay for. The M-Audio Firewire Audiophile or Solo are decent, affordable units though, the former oriented towards dj'ing, the latter towards musicians/home studios.

I personally use this one:

Terratec Producer Phase X24 FW
9d1139669a808dcf624a9dad36649067.jpg

Not terribly expensive, but really good. I mainly use it for recording (really only as a hobby), but also for playing music with much higher quality than my laptop's crappy onboard AC97 audio.
It has several outputs, including 4xtele (2 stereo outputs) and optical digital out, and a dedicated volume knob for headphones. I have it connected to my stereo receiver using tele-->RCA (though I know optical would of course be better), and use the headphone out (which to me gives a very nice, true sound) when I need to keep my music to myself.

I use it with a PC laptop, but it works with Macs as well.

Mar 29, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #9 of 42
You start in a better place by owning a Mac. The sonics are very quiet and very respectable. With that said, the DAC and amp in there are not going to compare to good dedicated equipment, so getting the sound out of the computer and into a DAC, then to a headphone amp (or into a DAC/Amp combo) will get you better sound. On the other hand, my Senn HD580s, which are inefficient and supposedly very difficult to drive, sound pretty good straight out of my iBook (a little narrow, a bit muted on some material, but fine on most). If you choose a more efficient phone, like the Senn 595, you may be perfectly satisfied with your sound with no additional expenditure.

Now if you just want to spend more, the Apogee Duet is cool as a spring breeze at $500...

duet.php

Tim

Mar 29, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 42
i have heard a lot of good things about the Beresford TC-7510 dac, and its quite cheap as well.
i just ordered one myself, to use with my macbook pro
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MacBook Pro's headphone out is decent.
But if you seek higher audio quality you might want to look into an external DAC and dedicated headphone amplifier.

It's not that the mac book pro has an indecent headphone out, it's more the way it colors it sound that might be disturbing. Depending on what taste one has.

Mar 29, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 42
Also, I found my Macbook headphone out was congested with poor dynamics until it had several hours on it (I didn't count but it was maybe 20 hours, but less than 50).

Mar 29, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 42
I noticed this week there was a sound enhancer option activated by default in iTunes. I suggest to turn that off as it degrades sound quality instead of enhancing it with a good system.

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed this week there was a sound enhancer option activated by default in iTunes. I suggest to turn that off as it degrades sound quality instead of enhancing it with a good system.

I discovered that thing recently too and decided to fiddle around with it. As far as I can tell its simply there to give people the option of making their music sound horrible, I can't find any other use for it.

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I discovered that thing recently too and decided to fiddle around with it. As far as I can tell its simply there to give people the option of making their music sound horrible, I can't find any other use for it.

Totally agree with you. I couldn't believe I had listened to my headphones for a couple of weeks and went to a meet with that thing turned on.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back