MacBook Pro and SE530s
Feb 21, 2009 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

npcraig

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm new here and very new to amps in general so bare with me
biggrin.gif
I currently listen to most of my music with my SE530s plugged right into my MBP but soon will start using my iPhone too. My question is what amp should I get? I have looked into the RSA P-51, Tomahawk, and the Headamp Pico since it has the DAC, but like I said I am very new.

I mainly listen to Alternative, RnB/Hip Hop, and some Techno. Everytime I look at one amp I seem to read rave reviews about another a day later! I listen to all my music in Songbird mostly as 320 MP3s or in FLAC.

One thing is that I sometimes hook my MBP up to my Denon AVR 887 reciever and listen to music on my sound system but just through the headphone jack, how could I make that sound better too? Thanks in advance guys!

EDIT: The title makes it sound like I just want it for computer use which would place it in the wrong forum, but I need an amp to take with me when I travel and use my iPhone/MBP on the road.

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 14
Sooo you probably indeed want a portable amp with the DAC option then.

From my extensive reading of reviews of all of those amps you listed, they are pretty much apples and oranges...perhaps you can go to a meet sometime in the future and hear them for yourself there?

Feb 21, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sooo you probably indeed want a portable amp with the DAC option then.

From my extensive reading of reviews of all of those amps you listed, they are pretty much apples and oranges...perhaps you can go to a meet sometime in the future and hear them for yourself there?

What's a meet? Sorry I'm really new
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 14
Local / Regional Head-Fi Meets, Parties, Get-Togethers - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Click on one of the thread titles to get a feel for what it takes to organize and put a meet together.

Head-Fi Meet Impressions, Trade Show Reports, Factory Tours - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Take a look at the pictures of the meets to see what they are all about.

Ideally, you would go to a meet, get lucky, and have the very amps you want to listen to there so you could try them before buying. The reality is that is not likely to happen. At best you might be able to listen to one of your choices.

On to your questions. Every portable amp you listed is good and a fine choice. If all you want is a portable amplifier then paying for one with a DAC (digital to analog converter) could be expensive. If you decide you need a DAC then buying a one box solution like the PICO may make sense for you. If you are happy with the sound quality coming from your computer's sound card you would not need a DAC. Even if you're not happy with SQ, you can always upgrade the sound card OR get a DAC.

I have owned and enjoyed the Ray Samuels tomahawk. A nice small portable amplifier that I felt went well with the SE530s. They can be picked up used in the for sale forum. Ray Samuels products have a house sound, so the P51 should also go quite well. I have not heard the Headamp Pico but the DAC in it gets good reviews here and elsewhere. It would be a fine choice if you need the DAC.

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks, I would love to go to a meet but my school is seriously in the middle of nowhere and I am very busy with school/tennis season now so it may be hard to get to one. I have decided that a USB DAC combo would be best so I am currently looking into the Pico, Predator, and the 3Move.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noremedy
Pico is a great match I had that exact same set up.

Thanks, that's what I've been hearing

Feb 21, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 14
As far as I know the MBP has optical out so an iBasso D10 could be a very good match

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know the MBP has optical out so an iBasso D10 could be a very good match

How's your D10? How long did it take to ship/deliever? It's out of stock on the site right now
frown.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by npcraig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's your D10? How long did it take to ship/deliever? It's out of stock on the site right now
frown.gif

Straight out of the box it is very good and judging from other comments it's going to get better. I ordered Wedensday when it was showing as out of stock, it shipped Saturday and arrived today.

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Straight out of the box it is very good and judging from other comments it's going to get better. I ordered Wedensday when it was showing as out of stock, it shipped Saturday and arrived today.

Okay cool. With the reviews and the price I have now placed my order! Thanks for the suggestion!
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 14
So do the SE530s really get a benefit from amping??...whenever i use IEMs outta my macbook they always seem to have more juice than other devices. I can see the use of the DAC but i was wondering about the MBPs HP out

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

I dont see an optical out on my 15" unibody MBP, would be great if there is one

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidlg16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont see an optical out on my 15" unibody MBP, would be great if there is one

The headphone jack doubles as optical out when the proper adapter is connected...you'll need an optical cable and a mini-toslink to toslink adapter.

The entire setup is less than $10 shipped from Monoprice.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back