mac vs pc?
Feb 5, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #76 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After all these years, XxATOLxX, your avatar still kills me. I think you're the reason why moving gifs were banned.
beerchug.gif

Says the guy with an animated gif avatar himself. . .
wink.gif

chadbang-409.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #77 of 103
Quote:

After all these years, XxATOLxX, your avatar still kills me. I think you're the reason why moving gifs were banned.
beerchug.gif

Is this what´s called self pawnage
tongue.gif

As a gamer Mac is not really an option. They are also to locked and expensive. As an overclocker you get much better performance out of a PC and it´s more of an open standard after all
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #78 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this what´s called self pawnage
tongue.gif

As a gamer Mac is not really an option. They are also to locked and expensive. As an overclocker you get much better performance out of a PC and it´s more of an open standard after all
smily_headphones1.gif

So true, but probably less than 1% of the whole computer users are interested in altering even a single feature in their bios setup.. personally i'd never be able to use a Mac....their software is more inaccessible than windows, that's fine...but when i buy a piece of hardware i want to do everything i please with it...

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #79 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Just saying...

awesome

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #80 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dells and Macs are both built by Foxconn, who also builds for Sony, HP, Acer, etc. They all use processors from Intel or AMD, screens from LG or Samsung, hard drives from Hitachi or similar manufacturers, RAM from Samsung or etc. Basically, all the notebook makers get their parts from the same 3rd parties. Apple is no different. They charge premium pricing for their designs, not because they're using special parts.

Apple's A4 CPU/GPU (actually by PA Semiconductor) is intended for smart phone use, not notebooks, so you really can't compare it against the Intel or AMD mobile lines.

That's right, Apple designs with a different focus than Dell or others, despite them all being built in the same factory. Each manufacturer has its own, separate floor with separate workers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonhapimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again this isn't the 20th century Apple do not make any of there internal components it's all the same from dell, hp, etc. They Do NOT make there own GPU/CPU have you even looked at any recent Mac/Macbooks. This just goes to show that your posting nonsense. Stop living in the past
I do like the battery life on the macbooks though while my computer strains to get 2 and a half hours in. damn gaming laptops lol

They designed their own CPU/GPU for the iPad, that's what I meant by "make". Indeed they don't have their own, dedicated factories any longer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Windows 7 comes right out of the box with driver support for pretty much everything. Even when you want more robust driver support or if it doesn't have it, going to the manufacturers website and downloading the newest drivers is "driver hell"?

Macs can come configured for hardware out of the box because 1) they are prebuilt, all prebuilts come with full driver support and 2) they ignore 90% of the hardware market, so they are very selective about what hardware they support. This is the same reason why attempts to run OS X on a non-mac almost always end up in crashing and stability problems

You make it sound like RPM hell back in redhat/early fedora core days. That was a fun experience when I was starting my linux adventures
tongue.gif

Repeatedly, I and others have built PCs, downloaded the latest drivers for everything, then had to re-install Windows after it immediately stopped working. So my point was (which is now going very off-topic to the OP's original question) that while you might build a PC, you buy a Mac (and pay a premium) so you don't have to deal with this kind of problem.

Anyway, that's enough from me. The OP has made his choice and we're done.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #81 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OP has made his choice and we're done.

>

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #82 of 103
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Animated GIF avatars were banned?

Now I'm feeling all special.
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #84 of 103
Quote:

Repeatedly, I and others have built PCs, downloaded the latest drivers for everything, then had to re-install Windows after it immediately stopped working.

I've never once heard of this problem, and I've been on computer forums for over a decade (and built dozens of computers myself). Sure some beta drivers can give some stability problems, but it's always a simple rollback. It's been that way since Win95.

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #85 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never once heard of this problem, and I've been on computer forums for over a decade (and built dozens of computers myself). Sure some beta drivers can give some stability problems, but it's always a simple rollback. It's been that way since Win95.

I've never heard of that, either - it sounds a little bizarre, frankly. And I don't even like windows, I use linux.
tongue_smile.gif

I've built all my own computers, too, passing on the hand-me downs to family members and friends when I upgrade, selling the still current items to recoup some money. I've had the same coolermaster ATC case since probably like 1999, it still looks as good as the day I bought it. I just keep upgrading the components and monitor for a fraction of what it would have cost to buy a Mac every time.

Apple = overpriced hype, imho. Back in ancient times when Photoshop and QuarkXpress only ran on a mac there wasn't much choice if you were into publishing, design, etc. But those reasons haven't even been relevant for over a decade, although for some reason (cough, marketing) the "mac mystique" as the "cool" alternative has somehow persisted. It's like paying a tax for being gullible and lacking media savvy.
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #86 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, bought a 27" iMac yet?
wink.gif

If he's lucky he'll get one of the defective ones and be able to sell it back to Apple at a profit.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #87 of 103
I haven't bought the iMac yet, going to the apple store today to have a look. I'm having some doubts as i've seen a few display models out there with the screen issues.

Again, there really is no price premium for the mac. In fact, I priced out the i5 pc that I had planned and it was $200 more. One big nod to the imac is that there is no other standalone monitor out there in that size/resolution/LED configuration even available.

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #88 of 103
My Mac lives peacefully amongst my Dell PC's. I have a mac mini in my bedroom as well. Love them all

DSC_3024.jpg

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #89 of 103
Quote:

Repeatedly, I and others have built PCs, downloaded the latest drivers for everything, then had to re-install Windows after it immediately stopped working.

That's virtually impossible ever since Vista - drivers now live in userland like every other modern OS.

Feb 10, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #90 of 103
Go Mac and be done with it. Less hassle than a PC and no operating system to maintain. I'm always amused with my friends who use PC's. Their aways complaining every time they have a problem getting something to work when there's a new windows update. They always end up calling me to fix there computers. Granted there not as tech savvy as my self but their always wishing they purchased a mac. I've used windows for years and will never go back unless I need to help my family and friends with theirs. Just my personal experience and my opinion of course. So I guess I'm less tech smart with computers because I use a Mac. Go figure...

Do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back