Mac Users: XLD is now a CD Ripper w/ AccurateRip support.
Sep 15, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 20
Okay, just tested it out.

I'm sooo happy to finally be able to move on from EAC/DBPA CD Ripper along with CUETools.

I need to do more testing, but it seems to me this is going to be the only app I use for CD Ripping anymore.

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 20
Actually it's even better than EAC and dBPA, as it's the first accurate ripper that uses the brand new cdparanoia III 10.2 combined with Accurate Rip, cache disabling and which fixes the "30 samples moved offset" problem.
The guys over at hydrogenaudio are so amazed that they are looking for people that are willing to port it to windows.

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 20
I recall a thread here where someone compared the output files from EAC vs. a Mac ripping the same CD using iTunes with error correction on a Mac. There was no difference in the waveforms, so it's all rather redundant. Maybe it would be useful if you have a scratched CD.

Sep 15, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 20
Yes, the secure ripping thing is mainly usefull for CDs that aren't in pristine condition. CDs from the 80's and early 90's are usually very robust and can stand a lot of abuse before you need to use secure ripping, but most current production CDs are thinner, less robust and often get a scratch from the first insertion in a player. In the mid 90's there where some pressings that now have a fugus that is causing disc rott. You need a secure ripper to save your music (which is sometimes now out of print) if those discs are already infected (they have a green shimmer).

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 20
I'm not exactly sure why I feel the need to use secure ripping / AccurateRip... I just do. I guess I'm just OCD like that about this kinda thing. I want it to be absolutely perfect even if the only difference is in offset.

Sep 18, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 20
XLD sure have gotten a lot of nice features lately. Guess its time to give it another try...
Thanks for the reminder!
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 20
Thanks for the recommendation. Have been using Max for some time now & I have always had to switch back to EAC on my PC when I cannot get a glitch free rip.
beerchug.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 20
Hey guys. Just wanted to bump this up and ask if anyone has done further comparisons (perhaps more analytical, such as comparing waveforms of rips from XLD and EAC). I'm keen to know if XLD is now on par with EAC as a de facto standard for ripping/archiving purposes.

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #10 of 20
Exciting. Wish I had time to check it out now, but will have to wait. If it gives me matching rips on my Mac and PC, I guess it will be time to remove the trusty PX-230A out of the PC and stick it behind one of these shiny doors on the front my Power Mac G4
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys. Just wanted to bump this up and ask if anyone has done further comparisons (perhaps more analytical, such as comparing waveforms of rips from XLD and EAC). I'm keen to know if XLD is now on par with EAC as a de facto standard for ripping/archiving purposes.

I have never seen a direct comparison.
But if you follow the links in this hydrogenaudio thread you may find what you're looking for:
XLD Master Thread List - Hydrogenaudio Forums

Nov 12, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #12 of 20
tried it previous day after Itunes gave a nasty clicknoise at the start of a song (brand new unscratched CD) and XLD did it right. guess it has to do with the pregap thingy but I was surprised as I had not heard anything wrong before.
(always rip them right after I buy/before I listen
tongue.gif
)

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #13 of 20
A nice feature comparison for XLD versus Max:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3112/...8baa6424_o.jpg

I have switched to XLD for now and use MAX backup. I still like MAX as each have coped with some 'difficult' disks the other has struggled with (not only damaged disks). Furthermore, I do not always want to let XLD grind away for >1 hour (or more) on my ibook on a damaged disc if MAX can get an almost clean rip in <15 minutes. XLD does seem to have the most active development currently.

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 20
Hi, there is one thing I don´t understand. When ripping a CD you get information about the pregap. For most tracks it is 00:00:00, but in some cases it can be 00:00:45 or 00:03:25 or whatever. 

When I then play the album in my DAP those tracks that has "extra time" in the pregap (sorry for my Swenglish, folks) cause a delay in playing the tracks. So I have to manually get to the next track.

I have tried to find out how to solve this. Does anyone here know? Thanks in advance!

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #15 of 20
I use a Mac and started using XLD a month or two ago when I started ripping my large CD library to use in a DAP. 

However, many of the CDs wouldn't rip properly, usually with one track hanging and refusing to be ripped. This seemed to occur where there was a scratch, but not always. 

Then I struck upon another route that is now my standard way of ripping CDs. 

1. Import CD into iTunes as AIFF.

2. Use XLD to Open Folder As Disc. In XLD Preferences, I choose to import as FLAC.

Easy. Just one more step. Not only does it obviate the hanging when scratched issue (dunno why, but iTunes rides right through those bumps, and I don't hear any problem in the audio file), but it also saves time as the iTunes rip to AIFF is considerably faster than the XLD rip to FLAC from the spinning CD, while the XLD conversion from AIFF to FLAC is only around 30 secs for an album.

Hope this helps anyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back