mac users- what's your music player?
Feb 19, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #16 of 37
iTunes is my music player.
I've tried most other alternative players out there (Songbird, Cog, Play, VLC, ..), but always return to iTunes. It just works for me...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #18 of 37
For flac, it seems the xiph codec works alright for some tracks but not all. I get some serious problems with the top quality flac rips from Linn Records but otherwise iTunes now has FLAC capability at my house! Come on iPod you have to be next!

Feb 19, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #19 of 37
Feb 21, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #23 of 37
Hard to be iTunes.

Instead of screwing around with trying to get FLAC support working well in iTunes, I would recommend downloading Max, converting from FLAC to Apple Lossless, and then you have native support.

Max can convert FLAC to Apple Lossless in just a few seconds per track on my Macbook Pro core 2 duo.

You can always convert back to FLAC later.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #24 of 37
I've been using MAX to convert downloaded hi-res. 24/96 FLAC files from LINN records to hi res. AIFF files that play beautifully in itunes.

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #26 of 37
I am using iTunes with AIFF's ..... I have a nice big external HD ... is there any reason to be using Apple Lossless, other than size.

With AIFF's ... I figure I am not locked into any thing and can convert in the future if needed.

Am I missing something, no one else seems to use AIFF.

Feb 24, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #29 of 37
I used to use about 3 different apps for encoding, tagging and playing MP3s on my mac back in the day. Even after iTunes came out I didnt like its large plain interface at first. It wasn't until I got my first mp3 player and I found out that iTunes supported it and was more stable than the crappy software. At first I only used it for that but it soon replaced everything because it does it all so well. I like to use Max to convert FLAC to Apple Lossless because I dont know if it makes a difference. Max is also great for LAME.

There used to be a script that would let you encode into LAME from iTunes using the terminal, anyone have any idea if there is an update or something else like that?

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by G.Kennedy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using iTunes with AIFF's ..... I have a nice big external HD ... is there any reason to be using Apple Lossless, other than size.

With AIFF's ... I figure I am not locked into any thing and can convert in the future if needed.

Am I missing something, no one else seems to use AIFF.

I use iTunes and anything I extract to me hard drive is in AIFF. this is mainly for ripping CD's for myself and others. I can't see using anything else except for use with me iPod in which case I use Apple Lossless. at one time I only stored a certain amount of CD's on me hard drive in AIFF and then played others I wanted to hear in me CD drive. I am now storing more in Apple Lossless. at some point I will get an external hard drive and keep everything I can fit on it in AIFF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back