Mac to headphones - how to improve sound quality?
May 11, 2010 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

james0195

500+ Head-Fier
Got pa2v2 on the way for use with my ipod + sennheiser hd25-1 iis
but if im at home and want to listen from my mac (through the 25's), what could i do?
e.g. a dac or dac/amp duo such as ibasso d2?

music type = well everything, jazz, rap, rock (sorry no specific genre)
budget = as cheap as possible, trying to save to go to uni next year, but if an item justifies its price then id consider it. No budget really if its worth it. 

ALSO, 2nd question
where can i get a good quality ipod line out cable in england? 

thanks

May 11, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 19
Nuforce uDAC...supposed to be a great USB DAC with a solid headphone amp built in, which should be plenty to drive your HD25, which aren't extremely high impedance phones. It's $100 US, though I'm not sure where to get them or how much they cost in the UK. From reviews here as well as other review sites, it's worth more than its cost, but I can't give you a first-hand review. But an external DAC will be better than the internal sound of your Mac...FWIW, I'm about to order one to use with my laptop on the go...

You can try the For Sale forum here for the LOD/uDAC, I'm sure some people would be willing to send it to England if you covered shipping costs...

Edit: You may want to post this in the Computer Audio forum, that'll probably give you more views...

May 11, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 19
Iv heard quite a bit about the nuforce uDAC (by searching through all these threads) 
my plan was to use the iMac > nuforce DAC > sennheisers

& keep the pa2v2 for portable use until i can upgrade.

il look into finding one in the uk, thanks

May 11, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 19
Honestly, if you can return the pa2v2, you could get any other portable usb dac/amp like the iBasso D2 or D4. Then you can use it with your portable and your computer, could save you some money. If you'd rather keep the DAC at home or something, then the uDAC is probably a great option for you...

May 11, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 19
thanks, il have to decide whetehr to go with the pa2v2 + the nuforce
or
sell the pa2v2 and buy an ibasso d2

think i know all i need to now, thanks very much

May 11, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 19
correct me if im wrong
if i am to buy the nuforce DAC, i wont need an amp, but i can connect it to one if i wish to do so? 

so i could use my DAC at home
and pa2v2 on the go,

and when i get money i could buy a good amp to use with the dac at home
and instead of Pa2v2 on the go

thanks

May 11, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 19
Yeah, one of the best things about the uDAC is the RCA out, so you can connect a good desktop amp (though some will argue that buying a high end desktop amp would also require a high end DAC). 

But that's off-topic. The uDAC is supposed to be a great DAC, so if you were to get that now, you could use it connected to your Mac as your DAC/Amp, and the PA2V2 could be your portable amp. Or you could always connect the uDAC to the PA2V2 while you're at home too, but I really don't know which amp would be better. 

Again, I'm off topic here. Short answer, yes you can use the DAC at home, and then connect it to a good desktop amp later. And you can use the PA2V2 as a portable amp.

May 11, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 19
i think thats what ill do unless i can find a decent d2 for sale soon
thanks very much for the help, genuinly was a great help :D

May 11, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 19
I use a uDAC with my Mac - I can tell you it works with no hassles at all. :) My only disappointment with the setup is that it doesn't support anything higher than (edit: 48kHz) over USB, but since I have only one album at that sampling rate (Nine Inch Nail's The Slip) I'm not bothered.

May 11, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 19
Be aware that the uDac does have a number of problems: Channel balance, far from balanced sound thus some headphones may suffer synergy wise, are the main ones.
It really depends on your budget. So what is it?

May 11, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
I'm curious: does the uDAC support 24bit/96kHz?

Sorry, I just realised I mistyped. It doesn't support anything higher than 48kHz. Though 24bit is supported for my HDCD's :D

And yeah I'd agree there is a channel balance problem at low volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back