Mac OS X Leopard impressions thread
Nov 27, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #121 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes. Good luck. Have all the weird problems been resolved with 10.5.1? I'm not current on the "state" of TM. Also, how long will that process take? Is the order of "days" really accurate??

Thanks! I have been warned, and will keep an close eye on it.

Not sure which weird problems you talk about. I have no complains so far.
The process might take two hours or so. It don't indicate any time frame, so its just a wild guess.

Nov 27, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #122 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes. Good luck. Have all the weird problems been resolved with 10.5.1? I'm not current on the "state" of TM. Also, how long will that process take? Is the order of "days" really accurate??

Like krmathis, I'm not aware of any systemic problems with Time Machine. There was one posting on MacOSXHints last week complaining, but it's not clear if the poster simply misunderstood the output of diff, and no one has bothered to post any followups. On my machine the diff is clean.

If you're backing up hundreds of megabytes over a wireless connection, the initial backup could take a while, but I doubt it would take days... and regardless, it's no slower than an initial rsync. Do the math... 802.11g gets around 19Mbit/sec in practice, so you'd be looking at 3.5 hours to do the initial backup of a 500Gb drive. At slower 802.11b speeds, that same backup might take half a day. So what? It happens in the background and if you interrupt it, it continues later, transparently, when you reconnect.

Nov 27, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #123 of 134
I am backing up 68GB over FireWire 400 to a 2.5" 5400rpm hdd (external disc).
Been running for 25 minutes to far, and just passed the 19GB mark.

Nov 27, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #124 of 134
MacNN | Time Machine issues plague Mac owners
Mac OS X 10.5: Time Machine backups are not visible
Mac OS X 10.5: Time Machine stops backing up to external disk

And some quick searches in Apple Discussion turned up ...
Apple - Support - Discussions - Time Machine Error ...
Apple - Support - Discussions - really slow Time Machine backup on ...

There's actually plenty more where all of that came from ....
There was a huge known issue with Aperture, if I recall, but I don't know the specifics.

Big disclaimer here: I don't really know anything about any of this from first hand experience, because I don't see any great need for Time Machine for my own uses. So whenever an RSS comes up about Time Machine, chances are it's some problem. It's difficult for me especially to tell how systemic they are; chances again are that it's Internet Reverb.

Let us know how it goes. Did you back up before backing up ... this is where it gets silly for me.

Nov 27, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #125 of 134
Neither of the two officially recognized issues is a big deal. One is a restriction on what your machine name can be; the other is a restriction on how your disk was formatted. Yawn.

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #126 of 134
Leopard has had a few problems, but I think Apple did a great job with its release. Great compared to these guys anyway.

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #128 of 134
what brand all in one printer is everyone using with 10.5 over the airport
extreme my epson 580 works great with tiger like that but seems to be
stuck in the draft mode with leopard.

Dec 2, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #129 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leopard has had a few problems, but I think Apple did a great job with its release. Great compared to these guys anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo3014 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i haven't had any problems converting and any problems afterwards too.

a whole lot better than V1STA

unless you're this pcmag writer: Leopard is the New Vista, and It's Pissing Me Off - Columns by PC Magazine

very poorly-written article, IMO...it's the OS's fault for his kernel panics? please
rolleyes.gif
and yes, i don't like the way apple marketed some of leopard's features...but more and more i've been finding the smaller stuff (like quick look and the revamped text to speech) to really add up to a stellar update. leopard perfect? of course not. the next vista? you gotta be kidding...

it's hard to take this guy seriously when he constantly resorts to name-calling ("mac moonies") when referring to mac owners...anti-mac hate speech always starts with the perfunctory, "i own a mac..." or "i use a mac daily..." as if that makes an attack any less idiotic or wrong. [/end rant]

Dec 5, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #130 of 134
Leopard is still a beautiful os but I'm having so much problems it's close to driving me nuts. Safari often quits unexpectedly and other programs as well. Photoshop runs like bloody aweful and it's slow!
At where I work it's even worse... We have to swith between Leopard and Tiger all the time because the Epson 9800 printer is not working with Leopard. Mail & Photoshop act real insane so we're thinking switching back to Tiger there completely.

Hope they'll get another upgrade soon which gets rid of the most enoying flaws.

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #131 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leopard is still a beautiful os but I'm having so much problems it's close to driving me nuts. Safari often quits unexpectedly and other programs as well. Photoshop runs like bloody aweful and it's slow!
At where I work it's even worse... We have to swith between Leopard and Tiger all the time because the Epson 9800 printer is not working with Leopard. Mail & Photoshop act real insane so we're thinking switching back to Tiger there completely.

Hope they'll get another upgrade soon which gets rid of the most enoying flaws.

Leopard is actually driving me nuts, I was lamenting to a colleague today. It seems to have introduced BT and wireless problems for me. Nothing terribly critical at the end of the day but enough to be annoying. This is after the pains associated with finding a suitable fix for the utterly broken X11 that shipped with Leopard (that was still not updated in the quick .1 release).

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #132 of 134
I find it really odd that Leopard is having such a diverse reception. For me personally, the upgrade went off without a hitch. Then after rebooting, my system was so responsive it felt like I got a new computer. I had a few issues with some 3rd party software (Cog, Play) but otherwise, I upgraded everything else to the latest version and so far no problems at all. Anecdotal sure, but I have a number of friends who had a similarly smooth experience, meanwhile I read horror stories like the ones above and I cringe thinking that could have been me. Sure I backed up my data...but still, I hate formatting and I would have had to get back to Tiger.

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #133 of 134
new os always create problems me was my worst experience xp was a little better then switched to mac and osx the 10.5 least amount of problems most having to due with wireless but in all not bad.

Dec 6, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #134 of 134
I made the mistake of not doing a little spring cleaning before installing, and not choosing archive and install first. I only had 2 gigs to spare after a regular install, but got the spinning beachball and couldn't do anything at all. So I had to go into the installer, disk utility and make a disk image of my main drive and store it on my external drive. After that, I erased and installed a fresh copy, then opened up the disk image and spent a couple hours copying and pasting applications, all the relevant files for the library, and my mp3 collection and important documents. And of course when I opened up the disk image I realized I had a few burned dvd images that I could have tossed beforehand that would've left me plenty of room.

Apart from my own stupidity, I've had no issues with it. I was a little worried that it might be a little taxing for my lowly 1.42ghz G4 mini, but it definitely seems speedier now. I'm quite happy with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back