Mac OS X Leopard impressions thread
Nov 9, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #106 of 134
To each his own I guess. For me, the use of the dropbox and tabs negates the need for double pane; however, i could see where double pane views would be useful if you were comparing massive list of files/folders (possibly your music collection or some such). Hope you like Forklift; I just couldn't live without many of the features of Path Finder when I tried Forklift; though the app uninstall feature of Forklift was nifty; but I already have AppZapper so I never really needed to use that feature of ForkLift. Good luck on your quest Zanth.

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #107 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by senny-ftw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting - looks good, and much better than Path Finder.

Same here, especially with the new Preview feature in Leopard. Cover flow in Finder doesn't impress me on its own but when Preview is added to the mix, viewing folders with PDFs, documents and pictures becomes a whole new experience. My main issues with Finder are:

- Lack of address bar; I'd like to see where I am in the filesystem
- I'd like a 'Parent Folder' button. I just had a look for a shortcut and apparently it's Option-Command-Uparrow - but who would know?

In short, I like the standard Finder, but it's easy to see why people criticise it.

quick look is quickly becoming one of my favorite leopard features. being in academia i get a ton of articles, student writings, documents, etc. and being able to quickly look at them without having to open an app is very useful. i just discovered that holding "option" and then clicking on the eye will give you a full-screen view of the document, a la writeroom. neato!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #108 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by defsquad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To each his own I guess. For me, the use of the dropbox and tabs negates the need for double pane; however, i could see where double pane views would be useful if you were comparing massive list of files/folders (possibly your music collection or some such). Hope you like Forklift; I just couldn't live without many of the features of Path Finder when I tried Forklift; though the app uninstall feature of Forklift was nifty; but I already have AppZapper so I never really needed to use that feature of ForkLift. Good luck on your quest Zanth.

I Do a lot of dragging and dropping between windows, moving files around. I'm OC when it comes to the organization of my files and I have massive amounts so the double pane is a very very big help to me. I wish I could get the information of Path Finder with double panes, I'd be super happy.

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #109 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Do a lot of dragging and dropping between windows, moving files around. I'm OC when it comes to the organization of my files and I have massive amounts so the double pane is a very very big help to me. I wish I could get the information of Path Finder with double panes, I'd be super happy.

You could always use the Spaces feature to set up a space with two side-by-side Path Finder windows, and dedicate that to file management.

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #110 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always use the Spaces feature to set up a space with two side-by-side Path Finder windows, and dedicate that to file management.

Hmm, interesting. I have not played around with spaces at all so am pretty ignorant on how it works. I just apply two instances of pathfinder to that area and that's it? Hit the corner of the screen to activate spaces and those programs open up?

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #112 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Time Machine is worth the entire price of admission. IMO.

/me should really give Time Machine a go.
Cause I hear lots of great thing about it. ..and here I still use an rsync script to back up my files.

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #113 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cause I hear lots of great thing about it. ..and here I still use an rsync script to back up my files.

Time Machine is rsnapshot on steroids... no reason to stick with rsync any more.

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #114 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Stick with rsync
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't trust Time Machine until I know how it works and that it is stable enough not to muck things up. There have been too many questions in my mind, special situations, etc. that could arise that, without knowledge of how TM handles things, are very confusing. I just haven't had time to play with it a lot. I don't think it's that useful.

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #115 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stick with rsync
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't trust Time Machine until I know how it works and that it is stable enough not to muck things up. There have been too many questions in my mind, special situations, etc. that could arise that, without knowledge of how TM handles things, are very confusing. I just haven't had time to play with it a lot. I don't think it's that useful.

Time Machine's file format is effectively the same as rsnapshot... that means you can go in and browse it just like a regular (versioned) filesystem. There are no binary blobs or weird custom "backup" file formats... go in and check for yourself that things are the way you like.

If you want to do the comparison automatically, run "diff" against /Volumes/time_machine_volume/Backups.backupdb/machine_name/Latest/drive_name.
That will tell you what all the differences are.

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #116 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forgot the OS doesn't come with iLife.

As a side note, anyone know how Apple controls piracy of the OS? There is no serial number with the Leopard package, how do they lock it down?

Wait, does this mean if I upgrade I'm going to lose Garageband, iMovie, iPhoto and all the stuff I basically have my mac for? Leopard doesn't come with updated versions of these programs?

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #117 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, does this mean if I upgrade I'm going to lose Garageband, iMovie, iPhoto and all the stuff I basically have my mac for? Leopard doesn't come with updated versions of these programs?

No, just install your old ones. They still work just as well.

Nov 27, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #119 of 134
Guess it wont hurt giving Time Machine a try.
I can always return to my simple shell script (using rsync) if its no success.

picture1fs6.png

Nov 27, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #120 of 134
Yikes. Good luck. Have all the weird problems been resolved with 10.5.1? I'm not current on the "state" of TM. Also, how long will that process take? Is the order of "days" really accurate??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back