Mac Mini
Sep 19, 2011 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

landgreen

Head-Fier
Just happily switched over to the world of Mac a few months ago. Love the MacBook Pro.
I am contemplating a Mac Mini dedicated to music in my headphone setup which would leave the USB connection to the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 intact. Is there any way of using my MacBook's screen and keyboard to access the Mac Mini, either wireless through the network or with firewire or USB?

Thanks

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 10
You should be able to use the screen of the Macbook Pro perfectly fine, but I doubt using the keyboard is possible since I don't think the Macbook Pro has any sort of output (USB or anything else otherwise).  My suggestion would be to just get the Apple Wireless Keyboard that they have available.  It's nice and compact! 

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 10
Thankyou. What would be the best way of connecting the MacBook screen to the MacMini?
The wireless keyboard would work fine.

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 10
You can use Screen Sharing to view the screen of the Mini even with no monitor connected.  If Screen Sharing is switched on in the Sharing Preference Pane on the Mini, it will appear in the sidebar in windows in the Finder, where you can click on it and click on the Share Screen button top-right.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #8 of 10
Screen sharing works well if a bit slow.  Another possibility is to use an ipod touch as a remote for the mini.  There is software that will allow you to use the Touch as the controller for the mini.  Personally I've been using a wireless keyboard/trackball but the ipod touch would be a slicker solution.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 10
Wonderful suggestions. Thanks to you all. If I could "screen share" using the MBP and then use a wireless keyboard or an app on my Iphone it would be perfect. It would be nice to be able to avoid a fixed monitor where the headphone rig is and the Mac Mini is fairly unobtrusive so it might all work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back